120" screen in a room with 8ft ceiling - crazy? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #61 of 73 Old 05-18-2016, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrich3 View Post
- Consider painting the room a dark, flat color. Even if you're able to completely block all external light from entering the room, the projector's light reflecting off the screen will hit other surfaces like the ceiling and reflect back to the screen. That reflected light will noticeably raise the black level and degrade the image.

- Measure the distance between the top of your stand-mounted center channel speaker and the ceiling. Your new screen's height should be less than that. If that resulting screen size is unacceptable, go with an AT screen.

- Consider mounting acoustic panels at first reflection points. GIK Acoustics and RealTraps both have good instructional videos on the subject.

For reference, here's my HT -

This room originally had light beige walls & ceiling, light colored carpet, and white trim. The ceiling & screen wall are now flat black, and black velvet is draped over the front speakers to eliminate reflected light. Black acoustic panels are in the window wells and on the walls. The image quality is much better now, and the dark colors also help to eliminate visual distractions.

Good luck with your new HT!
Thanks for the reply, focusing only on the AT or no AT screen for a moment, what if I got a large enough screen that went as much as 12" from the floor and simply put the center speaker on a tiny stand like yours and placed it in front of the screen? Would I then be able to simply not fill the "entire" screen but still cover the majority of it?

The acoustic screen path is just not something I really want to do because it's looking to be way over my budget to get something of good quality.

I'm not too concerned as to how it would look with the center in front of the screen but, ascetics aside, would that make sense? For example, if I got a 150" screen and it came to 10-12" off the floor and I project the image to cover another 12" up from there it would cut into the bottom of the screen by 12" right? Would this allow me to get pretty much all the room more so than if I went with a much smaller screen to fit the center speaker "properly" under the screen?

Does this make any sense? Thanks!

Theater Room - Receiver = Denon x6200w, AMP = BEHRINGER iNUKE NU4-6000, Fronts = Ascend Acoustics RAAL Towers, Center = Ascend Acoustics RAAL Sierra Horizon, Surround/Surround Back = Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE's, Atmos front/rear = Ascend Acoustics HTM-200 SE's, Sub = PSA v1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 73 Old 05-18-2016, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by consequential View Post
Thanks for the reply, focusing only on the AT or no AT screen for a moment, what if I got a large enough screen that went as much as 12" from the floor and simply put the center speaker on a tiny stand like yours and placed it in front of the screen? Would I then be able to simply not fill the "entire" screen but still cover the majority of it?

The acoustic screen path is just not something I really want to do because it's looking to be way over my budget to get something of good quality.

I'm not too concerned as to how it would look with the center in front of the screen but, ascetics aside, would that make sense? For example, if I got a 150" screen and it came to 10-12" off the floor and I project the image to cover another 12" up from there it would cut into the bottom of the screen by 12" right? Would this allow me to get pretty much all the room more so than if I went with a much smaller screen to fit the center speaker "properly" under the screen?

Does this make any sense? Thanks!
The top of my CC speaker is 26" high, and my screen is a 126" diag 16x9. Given the speaker to ceiling distance, 126" was close to the largest size I could accomodate without going AT.

If the bottom of your screen is 12" from the floor, your CC speaker would have to rest on the floor. That's not good from an acoustics standpoint. Try listening to the speaker in that location. If you're happy with it, it's your call. Also remember that the light path from the projector to the screen has to clear your head. If your screen is close to the floor, you may need to mount the projector closer to the screen so your head won't cast a shadow. You'll then need to verify that the pj can zoom out far enough to accomodate your proposed image size at that throw distance.

You said that your room is 28' long and your proposed seating distance from the screen is 14'. Sitting in the middle of the room is poor acoustically. You should consider moving the sofa a couple feet closer to the screen. It should sound better there, and if you're sitting closer perhaps you can get by with a smaller screen than you're currently considering.
post #63 of 73 Old 05-18-2016, 11:20 PM

Quote:
The top of my CC speaker is 26" high, and my screen is a 126" diag 16x9. Given the speaker to ceiling distance, 126" was close to the largest size I could accomodate without going AT.

If the bottom of your screen is 12" from the floor, your CC speaker would have to rest on the floor. That's not good from an acoustics standpoint. Try listening to the speaker in that location. If you're happy with it, it's your call. Also remember that the light path from the projector to the screen has to clear your head. If your screen is close to the floor, you may need to mount the projector closer to the screen so your head won't cast a shadow. You'll then need to verify that the pj can zoom out far enough to accomodate your proposed image size at that throw distance.

You said that your room is 28' long and your proposed seating distance from the screen is 14'. Sitting in the middle of the room is poor acoustically. You should consider moving the sofa a couple feet closer to the screen. It should sound better there, and if you're sitting closer perhaps you can get by with a smaller screen than you're currently considering.
Thanks again for the quick reply

So I can make the seating position as close as needed so that's not the problem at all. I just can't place the seating position greater than 15ft.

I did some more research and found that the max screen size it appears I could manage for the space itself is 135".

At 135", the total height for the screen would be 70.75" while my ceiling is 93" high. That would leave me with approx. 22" from the floor to the start of the screen and my center speaker will be 11" high. That would allow me to mount the center speaker 11" off the floor and hopefully be able to angle it up towards the listening position.

So if 135" would be the absolute max where it may just work, 120" should be more than adequate if 135" doesn't work out.

Theater Room - Receiver = Denon x6200w, AMP = BEHRINGER iNUKE NU4-6000, Fronts = Ascend Acoustics RAAL Towers, Center = Ascend Acoustics RAAL Sierra Horizon, Surround/Surround Back = Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE's, Atmos front/rear = Ascend Acoustics HTM-200 SE's, Sub = PSA v1800
post #64 of 73 Old 05-18-2016, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Thanks again for the quick reply

So I can make the seating position as close as needed so that's not the problem at all. I just can't place the seating position greater than 15ft.

I did some more research and found that the max screen size it appears I could manage for the space itself is 135".

At 135", the total height for the screen would be 70.75" while my ceiling is 93" high. That would leave me with approx. 22" from the floor to the start of the screen and my center speaker will be 11" high. That would allow me to mount the center speaker 11" off the floor and hopefully be able to angle it up towards the listening position.

So if 135" would be the absolute max where it may just work, 120" should be more than adequate if 135" doesn't work out.

125" - 130" sounds more reasonable than what you had been considering. That should provide a nice cinematic viewing experience from a 12' viewing distance.

Cheers!
post #65 of 73 Old 05-19-2016, 09:49 AM
Home Theater Lover!

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2340 Post(s)
Liked: 2124
Quote:
125" - 130" sounds more reasonable than what you had been considering. That should provide a nice cinematic viewing experience from a 12' viewing distance.

Cheers!
I currently sit 11' 3" from a 122" diagonal 16:9 screen. It is a good size / distance IMO.

AV Science, Inc. Direct (585) 671-2972 craig@avscience.com www.avscience.com Like us on Facebook

Home theater equipment sales and advice. Call to see the JVC RS600 in Northern California

My theater pics - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514
post #66 of 73 Old 05-19-2016, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Nice n tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveser View Post
I had been looking at installing a 110" Elite CineTension 2. I want to get the biggest possible screen I can. I've done the math and 110" fits very comfortably in my room. I was pricing screens and the 110" is a bit hard to get. The 120" is easy to get (it's on Amazon) and the price is cheaper than what I can currently find the 110" for. So am I crazy to attempt this? The projector is going to be the Epson 3010. The room is 17 1/2 feet long and 12 1/2 feet wide. The screen is going to drop down in front of my entertainment center. The entertainment center is out about 2 ft from the wall so the screen will be mounted about 6" in front of that. Throw distance looks OK in the Epson's manual. I figured the screen with the case and mounts could a minimum of 7" from the ceiling, and the bottom of the viewing area would be about 30" or so from the floor.

If I could pull this off it would be epic. This is my first projector setup and I want it to be awesome. Any words of wisdom from those with more experience than me would be much appreciated!

You'll be fine. Your issues will be with your sound set-up.
Accounting for the back surrounds in a 7.1, 7.2 setup will test you.
In a typical 5.1 you should have no issues.
Towers for LR channels and placement of your C channel below the screen should work out handsomely.
post #67 of 73 Old 05-19-2016, 10:32 AM

Mike from AVScience.com is going to hook me up with a 144" 2:35 screen which is GOING TO BE AMAZING!@!@!@!@

It will fill up the entire wall but allow me 3ft of room under the screen. I would have never thought of this idea but that's why Mike and the team over there are phenomenal.

I'll have enough clearance to place whatever front L/R in toe-in at the corners.
DavidHir and henrich3 like this.

post #68 of 73 Old 05-19-2016, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
I would love to go to a 144" scope screen. Mine scope screen is 117.4" diagonally (at 9 feet wide), but I won't be able to go bigger until I move in several years but will make sure my next house will have a room to accommodate it as I want to go closer to 13 feet wide.

post #69 of 73 Old 05-19-2016, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMRA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by neveser View Post
I had been looking at installing a 110" Elite CineTension 2. I want to get the biggest possible screen I can. I've done the math and 110" fits very comfortably in my room. I was pricing screens and the 110" is a bit hard to get. The 120" is easy to get (it's on Amazon) and the price is cheaper than what I can currently find the 110" for. So am I crazy to attempt this? The projector is going to be the Epson 3010. The room is 17 1/2 feet long and 12 1/2 feet wide. The screen is going to drop down in front of my entertainment center. The entertainment center is out about 2 ft from the wall so the screen will be mounted about 6" in front of that. Throw distance looks OK in the Epson's manual. I figured the screen with the case and mounts could a minimum of 7" from the ceiling, and the bottom of the viewing area would be about 30" or so from the floor.

If I could pull this off it would be epic. This is my first projector setup and I want it to be awesome. Any words of wisdom from those with more experience than me would be much appreciated!

You'll be fine. Your issues will be with your sound set-up.
Accounting for the back surrounds in a 7.1, 7.2 setup will test you.
In a typical 5.1 you should have no issues.
Towers for LR channels and placement of your C channel below the screen should work out handsomely.
Hey, why would 7.1 be a challenge???

I have about 4ft on both sides of the couch free and 14 feet of open space behind the couch.

The only issue I'm worried about is how to setup wide speakers because my front L/R will be right beside the wall so placing wides is going to be well maybe impossible

post #70 of 73 Old 05-19-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I would love to go to a 144" scope screen. Mine scope screen is 117.4" diagonally (at 9 feet wide), but I won't be able to go bigger until I move in several years but will make sure my next house will have a room to accommodate it as I want to go closer to 13 feet wide.
Still that sounds really nice.

When I bought this house I fell in love with this wide open 15x28ft space but I never did anything with it except make my office. Finally now I'm going to have a real theater

So excited!!
post #71 of 73 Old 05-19-2016, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 25
That's why.

Quote:
Hey, why would 7.1 be a challenge???

I have about 4ft on both sides of the couch free and 14 feet of open space behind the couch.

The only issue I'm worried about is how to setup wide speakers because my front L/R will be right beside the wall so placing wides is going to be well maybe impossible

"The room is 17 1/2 feet long and 12 1/2 feet wide."

Do you sit 3.5 feet from your screen?
post #72 of 73 Old 05-19-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMRA View Post
"The room is 17 1/2 feet long and 12 1/2 feet wide."

Do you sit 3.5 feet from your screen?
LOL!!!! I suck!!!

I didn't see the name on who you were quoting and I thought you meant me and my room!! Sorry about that!!!

post #73 of 73 Old 05-20-2016, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
Quote:
Still that sounds really nice.

When I bought this house I fell in love with this wide open 15x28ft space but I never did anything with it except make my office. Finally now I'm going to have a real theater

So excited!!
I am really enjoying it, no question. I sit about 10.5 to 11 feet back and it has a theatrical feel. Having fallen in deep love with front projection, it just makes me want to go to a larger size down the road.

I never even realized I could do it as my room is only a bit larger than 10 x 12 feet (up to 14 feet if you include removing the closet doors to give the projector two more feet of throw). I was always under the impression I could only get an 80" screen or so. I was completely wrong. It was my computer room/office and I had a small spare bedroom...so I just swapped out things turning the home office into a dedicated theater room and going with a 7.1 sound. I might do Atmos one day. I also have all of my equipment in the closet behind the couch, so all I see is screen as my front speakers are bookshelf size mounted below the screen. It was a very fun project, but a lot work...but well worth it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	room%20pic.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	1449482  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens