Screen Selection Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-19-2012, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

I could really use some advice before pulling the trigger on a screen material / manufacturer.

My media room is a converted bedroom and has the following stats:

Ceiling: White / vaulted and walls are 10' high before angle starts
Lighting: Side window (relative to screen) that can be completely blacked out when desired with blinds and curtains.
Screen Size: 100"
Viewing Distance: ~11 feet and mostly straight on or mild angle
Projector: Epson Home Cineman 5010 front / ceiling mounted
Throw Distance: ~13 feet
Budget: $1500 max, preferably $1000 range
2D/3D: I don't really enjoy wearing glasses so I doubt I will watch much 3D content. Maybe my son will as he gets bigger.

FYI: I do not need acoustically transparent fabric. I'm also fairly handy and don't necessarily mind DIY if it gets me better fabric and pricing.

The main priority is night time / totally dark room quality for movie and television show watching. A much-lesser priority is to have it not look terrible when watching an afternoon ball game when I don't want to sit in a pitch black room and want to either have the ceiling lights on or the natural light partially showing through.

Anyone give me thoughts on a good option for this installation? My first thought was a Screen Innovations Performance Series Lunar Grey 0.8 gain as it is around $1200 and should meet most of the demands.

Thanks very much in advance,
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-19-2012, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i have the same projector and have a carada 96" bw screen and love it. my walls are also white but I have 9 ft ceilings in my basement and my throw is 13 ft. I did notice some loss in blacks from the white ceiling but tried both the white screen and carada grey screen and think the white looks better overall. I also have an elite 92" cinawhite and would never buy one of these again it looks horrible compared to the carada.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-20-2012, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

From speaking with Steve Garrett at AVScience, I've landed on an SI Performance Series Lunar Grey 0.85 (coincidentally what I had chosen doing my own research). Should give me what I want for *low-light* viewing and still be great for *no-light* viewing. I will be sure to post back with my thoughts after the install is complete.

Thanks jiggyk4 for the response. The Carada gets good reviews (and would have been cheaper for the 104" too), but I got sick of researching and put my trust in Mike. biggrin.gif

Dan
post #4 of 4 Old 08-13-2012, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Just a quick post for future viewers:
I love the combination of the Epson 5010 and the SI Lunar Grey screen. I'm really pleased with the black levels and color depth, and the whites look very "white" to me so no problem with the light grey screen throwing off white levels / contrast. The screen was super easy to assemble (aside from my finger tips hurting from all the snaps).
Dan
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Screen Innovations