Da-Lite High Power (HP) Screens: Pulldown or Fixed to Avoid Ripples? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 07-26-2012, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I've read a lot about how the HP screens tend to have a material that:
  1. Causes less ripples/waves
  2. Hides any ripples/waves well

Many of you have now presumably owned a HP Da-Lite screen for years. So what is the overall consensus?

Reason I ask is b/c a fixed frame screen is ~3x the price of a Model C pulldown screen.

I'd like to know if it's worth it.

I should say that I owned a manual pulldown Optoma Panoview GrayWolf 92" 1.8 gain gray screen for 6 years, and the ripples/waves have always bothered me on pans/dolly shots.

But I believe that material is different from the HP material (it has a sandy texture & the glass beads appear exposed, hence it is non-washable). Sounds more like the EluneVision 1.8 gray material from 'mike infinity's posts...

I'm thinking of biting the bullet on a Da-Lite High Contrast High Power screen, which I assume is very same material-wise to the HP screens.

Many thanks in advance for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-27-2012, 06:42 AM

Liked: 10
I would like to know this as-well, I'm stuck in the exact same situation right now. frown.gif
post #3 of 17 Old 07-27-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 130
There are less waves and if your projector is set up as per the caveats of the HP you do not see the waves if you do get them.
If you do get waves, for some strange reason in the distant future, you can cut out the fabric and make a frame. May people buy the Model B as it ls less expensive then buying fabric and make a frame.
If you have room from a fixed frame, it sure does look nicer than the pull down in my mind.. but whatever works best in you location.

Not sure the HCHP is worth buying you should really get some samples of both and see how you like them before you invest.

Personally, I compared HCHP, HP 2.4 and my older 2.8 and would not buy HCHP but I prefer bright to blacks.

Again, if you are not going to set up the projector just over your head 12-20" you are not going to get the benefit..
post #4 of 17 Old 07-27-2012, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the input airscapes.

My concern stems from the fact that the waves were very bothersome to me during actual viewing on my Optoma GrayWolf 92" 1.8 gain grey screen (which is glass-beaded, & there I'm assuming retro-reflective?).

Is the HP screen significantly different from the GrayWolf such that the waves are not bothersome?

My projector lens is ~18" above my head. Pretty much aligned dead center with my head. If I move the projector any lower I feel like I'm gonna see a shadow of my head on the screen...

Samples from Da-Lite & Draper should be arriving soon. I have high hopes for the HCHP b/c I really care about blacks. But then I've been reading about splotchiness on the HCHP screens?

So much so that I'm thinking of this whole idea of a shadow-box around my frame...
post #5 of 17 Old 07-27-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 130
They don't get a lot of waves and if they do you do not see them when watching.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-27-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
No comparison, the Optoma screens are not even close to the HP regarding material quality or image.

The Greywolf is one of the least impressive screens that I have ever seen, even when compared against most other grey screen offerings.

The HP is not the best screen for every install but if it works (viewing within view cone) you'll be hard pressed to find a better + gain screen.

Jason
post #7 of 17 Old 07-27-2012, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks guys. Still, I wonder if waves/ripples in the pulldown screen will bother me... they're extremely visible in pans/dolly shots.

For anyone curious, I called up EluneVision & they told me the Vivid Pro-Cinema Grey 1.8 gain screen is the same material as the Optoma GrayWolf II screen. So that's not promising.
post #8 of 17 Old 07-27-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I am about 99.9% certain you will notice no waves in an HP pulldown while viewing (pans or not).

Jason
post #9 of 17 Old 07-27-2012, 10:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

No comparison, the Optoma screens are not even close to the HP regarding material quality or image.
The Greywolf is one of the least impressive screens that I have ever seen, even when compared against most other grey screen offerings.
The HP is not the best screen for every install but if it works (viewing within view cone) you'll be hard pressed to find a better + gain screen.
Jason

I agree with Jason on this. Also if you want to avoid waves, make sure your screen is hung perfectly level. If the screen is not perfectly level, it will slightly pull to one side when rolling up and that will eventually cause problems down the road.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #10 of 17 Old 07-28-2012, 12:25 AM

Liked: 10
I absolutely love this video, it shows how the DA-Lite HP compares to a 1.0 gain screen. Then with a sample of the Starbright from Elite. Reviews show Starbright is not worth it, too much hotspotiing from what I read. I really like the 2.4 HP though, I found a drop down 106-inch for $470, I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-plCPMOQyU&list=FL636aU841vGVNl4LTBvl80w&index=2&feature=plpp_video

I'm on a tight budget, $600 is the most I can spend on a screen, so even though I would prefer fixed (as does the wife), buying the Sony HW30 drained the bank, not much room, and from my research in the last 24 hours, sounds like saving $300 on a pull-down in-which wrinkles will not be a problem with for some time is not that big of a deal to me. I'm getting the same identical screen that many are paying a grand for, but with less tension by going pulldown, not a big deal, as long as the picture looks just as good and future wrinkles will not be seen, I'm there! smile.gif

I found this thread helpful as-well, he states you will get the same picture from a DA-Lite HP pulldown as from a stretched HP. Alot of awesome info here.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/773065/high-power-a-review-part-1

post #11 of 17 Old 07-29-2012, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah but people still do say that ripples develop, just that you can't see them w/ the HP material. Like I said, I was concerned b/c I could still see them w/ GrayWolf, but, again GrayWolf may just be very bad as others have indicated above.

One thing that has me worried is Da-Lite's system for creating tension w/ the HP screens. The Da-Lite fixed frame (Cinema Contour) w/ HP seems to apply tension by using brackets mounted to the wall to push down on the bottom of the screen material. I.e. it's the position of the 'HP brackets' on the wall that creates tension on the screen... hard to explain, video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCXSEtURRtk

That seems difficult & slightly stupid.

Draper's method using the notches seems much easier, adjustable, & potentially more effective: https://www.audiogeneral.com/Draper/onyx_instructions.pdf

And Draper also has a high contrast high power like material: 'Contrast Radiant' CH2700E (2.7 gain). Still haven't received my Da-Lite samples so not sure if the HCHP is more grey... I'd assume it probably is.

I should probably just go with the pulldown at less than half the price as others are suggesting!
post #12 of 17 Old 08-01-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I sit about 10 feet back from my 45" x 80" 92" diagonal 2.4 HP roll down screen and you can see waves on pans but it is very rare to see them with this screen material. I don't like that the fixed screen is about 3x the price but if you plan on keeping your screen at that size I would invest in the 2.4 HP fixed screen if seeing waves is a problem for you as once you see 1 you will find yourself constantly looking for them.

Mike

WTB: DPI Cine LED 1000 projector
post #13 of 17 Old 03-16-2013, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarangiman View Post

Yeah but people still do say that ripples develop, just that you can't see them w/ the HP material. Like I said, I was concerned b/c I could still see them w/ GrayWolf, but, again GrayWolf may just be very bad as others have indicated above.

I have a pulldown 104" wide dalite HP screen. The screen has developed a mechanical patern on the left side - where it must be pressing against something on the roller. This pattern is clearly visible - in ambient light - and repeats down for the full height of the screen.

HOWEVER, the pattern is totally invisible once lit by the projector. It's like magic.

In ambient light - with the pattern clearly visible- take a flashlight - and point it toward the screen and the pattern just disappears.

The reason is likely the retro-reflective nature of the material (light is reflected mostly back to the source - so slight changes in incident angle make no difference in the reflection).

I would recommend this material on a manual pulldown - but with one big caveat. My screen was 2.8 HP purchased in 2007. Recent reports have said that the current HP has been reformulated. Many have complained about quality/uniformity issues.
post #14 of 17 Old 03-18-2013, 07:29 PM

Liked: 11
Purchasing a fixed hp 159" 16:9 manual or 235:1 166" fixed soon price difference between the 2 : $800 +- I'm leaning towards the fixed 235:1 , but must be careful and level out mount.
post #15 of 17 Old 03-20-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZaus View Post

Purchasing a fixed hp 159" 16:9 manual or 235:1 166" fixed soon price difference between the 2 : $800 +- I'm leaning towards the fixed 235:1 , but must be careful and level out mount.

Mine is a pull down HP - 2.35:1 (104" wide x ~44" high) with black above. Purchased from AVS in 2007 with no issues.
post #16 of 17 Old 03-21-2013, 11:21 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rak306 View Post

Mine is a pull down HP - 2.35:1 (104" wide x ~44" high) with black above. Purchased from AVS in 2007 with no issues.

do you leave your open or closed when finished?
post #17 of 17 Old 03-23-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZaus View Post

do you leave your open or closed when finished?

It covers my pioneer 50" kuru plasma when pulled down - so it goes up after every movie. I've had it since 2007. 1k hrs on the projector - so I would say its been up/down about 400-500 times.
Reply Screens