How are the curved screens working with todays projectors? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-29-2012, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking around for some information on what it takes to convert over to a curved screen. Do you need a new projector that requires a special lens? I know a while back there was still no projector that could display an image on a curved screen unless you bought 3 projectors with special lensing. All i have right now is an HD33 for now that i use on a 112" Carada screen.

Sorry for the noob question.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-30-2012, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
A curved screen is used when using an anamorphic lens. The curved screen helps to eliminate the pin-cushion effect caused by the lens. A-lenses are used to stretch a 16:9 image to 2.35 and eliminate the black bars. Which also gains brightness back and not waste the light output in the top and bottom black bars. No reason for a curved screen unless you use a lens. he lenses cos more than mos common projectors - start at about $3k, but there are a few that are less expensive.

Are you referring to the old CRT projectors? They would had thee tubes - red, green and blue and projected on to a torroidal curved screen ('80s). Unfortunatly CRT's have gone the waay of the dinasour as digitals have now caught up and may have even surpassed them in some respects.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page