Pull up vs Pull down? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-12-2012, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I am just buying my first projector (epson 8350), but since I am living in an apartment I need to go with either a pull up or a pull down screen. I have a very small budget so I am looking at the Elite Screens. The one that pulls up from the floor would be slightly more convenient for my space, but I could swing either, I am just wondering if there is any advantage to having a pull down screen vs a pull up screen since I never see anyone with the pull up screens. Is there any reason for this other than people don't want the case sitting on the floor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-12-2012, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Most people have their projector mounted on the ceiling or a high self in back of their seating area so having a screen on the floor does not make sense. There are few folks like yourself that don't have the room or can not (rent) do the needed reconstruction to put the projector on the ceiling and screen on the wall and we use portable type screens with a table mounted projector. I use a tripod screen because I was looking for a certain screen fabric that was not available in a pull up.
I have read that the floor pullups can be rather flimsy and the slightest breeze moves them around. I have a really small Da-lite picture King tripod type screen that fits my space well and has served me without issue for a few years now.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-13-2012, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks airscapes, does anybody have one of these pull up screens that can confirm they are flimsy compared to a pull down? I could manage a pull down if it is better, but there is a pull up that I know I can get for about half price from a guy right now if it is any good, but I'd rather have whichever is better.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-18-2012, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by holinger91 View Post

Thanks airscapes, does anybody have one of these pull up screens that can confirm they are flimsy compared to a pull down? I could manage a pull down if it is better, but there is a pull up that I know I can get for about half price from a guy right now if it is any good, but I'd rather have whichever is better.

I ordered a 90 inch 16:9 Da-Lite Insta-theater earlier today and should have it next week sometime: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000293QS2/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00

Here's a you tube video that should give you the idea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UupZcPw-wZc

Looks sturdy enough to me. The only thing I am really worried about is the 2.2 gain screen. I can post back with impressions next week if you'd like.
Reply Screens

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Projectors , Projection Screens , Da Lite

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page