First Time Poster, Soon-to-be-Homeowner, and need help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-03-2012, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all! As the title states, I'm buying a house and it has a pre-built mancave! I intend to buy a projector for the basement den. I already have the kegerator for the bar down there but that's a topic for a different forum. biggrin.gif At any rate, I think I get the general gist of how the projection works in comparison to the distance from the wall (I believe that's called the throw, correct?). Also for a ceiling mount, how far the lens is from the ceiling (the lens offset, yes?). In other words, I'm pretty sure I have just enough knowledge to get myself in trouble and I could use any and all advice and tips anyone is willing to offer.

I measured the room and the beam that the projector will be mounted on, which runs the width of the den in the middle, is 13'4" from the middle to the wall. The ceiling is 6'10" high. Also, the beam that the projector will be mounted from is a 5.5" drop from the ceiling. I found the tool on this site http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com/ and alot of it makes sense, such as the throw vs screen size ratio but after that, I get a little confused. Also, it mentions baseline lumen, I know lumen are the measure of light output but what is good? Best mode lamp high vs best mode lamp low vs dynamic mode lamp high? I assume higher is better?

The projector that I want to get is the Optoma HD20 and I know for better blacks and whites that gray screens are better than white. i want to get a wall mounted screen. I am wanting to mount the screen as close to the the ceiling as possible, no closer than 5-6" though. So my question is, with those dimensions, what size screen do I get? I want to get around a 100-120" but I dont know if that's feasible. Also, if possible, how do you arrive at those dimensions?

Again:
13'4" is the distance that the projector will be mounted to the wall
6'10" ceiling height
5.5" is the distance the beam drops from the ceiling, making an effective mounting ceiling height of 6'4 1/2"

Thanks so much in advance to anybody that can help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-04-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 340
The offset is the vertical distance from the center of the lens to the top of the image if ceiling mounted. With a 6'-4 1/2" ceiling mounting point, the center of the lens would be about 5" lower if close mounting. That puts the center of the lens 5'-11 1/2". For the HD20 the lens offset for a 100" image is 7.8". That means the top of the image is 71 1/2" - 7 3/4" = 63 3/4". Bottom of the image will be 63 3/4" - 49" = 14 3/4". For a 120" image the bottom of the image would be 63 3/4" - 59" = 4 3/4". Probably will be a problem placing a center channel speaker under the screen. Also if you have reclining seats, your feet will be blocking your view of the screen.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

Reply Screens

Tags
Projectors , Projection Screens , Wall Mount

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page