Upgrade to Black Diamond 2 or not worth it? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-04-2012, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We recently bought a home that has a dedicated theater room. It has a 99" Clarion by Draper screen installed. I also own an as-new 100" Screen Innovations Black Diamond 2 1.4 screen from our former house (in a light-challenged room) and I'm debating whether it is worth the effort and expense to take down the Clarion and put up the Black Diamond. The room is completely dark, so I'm not sure how much of an upgrade that would really be. Otherwise, I will offer the Black Diamond for sale. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-04-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Does the room have light coloured walls/ceiling? If so then perhaps you'll still gain a benefit using the BD screen.

It must be great to have a separate room just for use as a cinema, though if I had one myself I think it would have a white screen and very dark decor instead. I could never have my living room like that (where my screen is).

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #3 of 5 Old 09-04-2012, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

The dedicated room has dark carpeting, and deep dark red walls and ceiling ... it gets absolutely pitch black dark in there. The projector -- an Epson 8500 -- is super bright on the existing screen. I need to get it calibrated.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-05-2012, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Sounds like you don't need a BD screen in that room. May as well enjoy the purity of a matt white screen as you have the best environment to use it.

PS. Don't expect the Epson to get much dimmer after calibration, unless it is in a very odd mode at the moment. You may lose some brightness after calibration, but the Epson doesn't have a manual iris to control lumens and it's a fairly small screen size. Perhaps try an ND2 filter in front of it (but a decent glass one such as a Hoya HMC)?

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #5 of 5 Old 09-05-2012, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

That's a great tip, thanks ... I listed the Black Diamond in the classified if anyone's looking for one.
Reply Screens

Tags
Clarion , Draper 207009 Draper Screen 100 Roll , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8500 Ub Lcd Projector V11h337020
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page