Screen recommendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-18-2012, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello….I’m new to the forum and this is only my 2nd post so I guess I’ll start off with a hello smile.gif I’m working on setting up a home theater in my basement and would appreciate some opinions on what screen may best fit my layout with an Epson 8700UB.

The wall the screen will be placed is 118” wide X 82” H……My room is 18’8” X 9’7” and I’ll be painting the ceiling black with dark gray walls. The floor is a darker beige tile. There will be no exterior light and will be completely blacked out. Best guess for viewing distance will be in the 10-12’ range with a primary purpose being movies. Black levels are important to me but a compromise with color pop is what I’m looking for.

I’d like to avoid providing a budget limit because this is a long term investment; but I’d appreciate opinions on anything between the budget (under 500) screens to the higher end models. With just purchasing the projector I’d love to be able to get into a screen that would give me a nice picture without spending an arm and a leg right now. I’m not ruling out a DIY setup in the short term either, but trying to cover my options. I guess you could call me a home theater dummy. Having a hard time getting (understanding) what gain, white screen, gray, screen etc….will work best in my environment; and what my options are. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-18-2012, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Update.....Probably looking more in the sub $1000 range right now if that helps narrow things down.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-19-2012, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

I don't know if I'm asking the wrong questions here or possibly too generalized? Either that or just not the friendliest forum to newbies as you'd think saying hello may get a response or two? Regardless I'll give this one more shot and be a bit more specific. I wish I could afford more but for now I'm leaning toward a 100" Carada. Based on the room specs and information I provided I would appreciate a little help in screen selection. Clasic White, Brilliant White, or High Contrast Grey? If you feel that another screen may fit my requirements better I'd be glad to hear them.....
post #4 of 6 Old 09-19-2012, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Middle of the week... people work... don't worry about it.

With that, there is a wealth of info out there on this forum and others regarding your questions on gain etc. Read up if you are interested in making this more of a hobby than a one time purchase.

With light control and a dark color scheme (walls ceiling etc) I would go with a neutral gain screen. I would go a large as you physically can and/or shoot an image on the wall right now, and play with sizes viewing from your prime location. That will give you an idea of what screen size you want.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-19-2012, 07:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by takoda1 View Post

Update.....Probably looking more in the sub $1000 range right now if that helps narrow things down.

There are several screens that work in that budget range that are pretty decent screens. If you would like to talk over the various options, shoot us an email

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-20-2012, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Email sent Mike....Thanks

ADDUpstate.....I'll be honest and admit that I ran into this full bore and was expecting fast and simple answers to a not so simple science. At the moment I just want to be happy and enjoy my purchase. Don't know if I can afford it as a hobby! LOL I say that now but deep down I know.....For as long as I've wanted a dedicated movie room I'm sure that my interest in perfecting it will be a never ending process once I have a system in place.

I'm going to take your advice and run the projector for a little while to determine the screen size that will best fit me. I can fit 110" but will not leave me any side room for front speakers. I don't have a surround system yet and could probably go with some Satellite speakers above the picture but that's another whole level of research to determine what I'm going to be happy with.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page