Screen maker and gain - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-20-2012, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Well I recently purchased a preorder for a new JVC RS46 project. It will be my first projector ever and can not wait to receieve it...

On the other hand I am having a hard time determining the screen. I read its probably bet to get samples from all the companys and do a test once I get the projector. But looking for some advice on the different makers and gain experiences you have had.

My room is completely light controlled bat cave. Front wall and ceiling all flat black. My viewing distance will be 12 feet back and I can mount the projector 14-17 feet back.
There are so many different makers and so many different types of material is the difference in them huge?

If anyone can shed some light on experiences they had with some of the companys and how gains effected there image and so on I would love to hear. Any questions feel free to ask.

I do not need a AT screen. And looking for a fixed frame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-23-2012, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone that can help ? Would appreciate it
post #3 of 12 Old 09-24-2012, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Much depends on the image size you plan to have. Your projector is not known for being a light canon, so you will more than likely want to use a material that has a little gain....more than a little if you go with a jumbo screen or you want to have some lights on. Just about every screen manufacture has a 1.3 or 1.25 material. If you go higher (1.5, 1.75, 2.5, 3.0, 6), you will need to make sure your projector is mounted (upside down) on plane with the top of the image so that any hot spotting will not be noticeable (unless you lay on the floor). Since LCOS projectors have plenty of contrast, a gray screen should not be needed. A white screen will allow for better color accuracy. Stewart, Da-Lite, Vutec, and Draper are all good domestic screen manufactures that cover a fairly broad assortment of screen types and price ranges. You did not indicate whether you were thinking in terms of a fixed frame or retractable, but if the latter, you should aspire to one that is tab-tensioned, budget permitting. Be sure to double-check your throw distance to screen size relationship. And keep your lamp fresh (it will be down by 50% after 300 to 400hrs). That's all I can think of. Enjoy...
post #4 of 12 Old 09-24-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Much depends on the image size you plan to have. Your projector is not known for being a light canon, so you will more than likely want to use a material that has a little gain....more than a little if you go with a jumbo screen or you want to have some lights on. Just about every screen manufacture has a 1.3 or 1.25 material. If you go higher (1.5, 1.75, 2.5, 3.0, 6), you will need to make sure your projector is mounted (upside down) on plane with the top of the image so that any hot spotting will not be noticeable (unless you lay on the floor). Since LCOS projectors have plenty of contrast, a gray screen should not be needed. A white screen will allow for better color accuracy. Stewart, Da-Lite, Vutec, and Draper are all good domestic screen manufactures that cover a fairly broad assortment of screen types and price ranges. You did not indicate whether you were thinking in terms of a fixed frame or retractable, but if the latter, you should aspire to one that is tab-tensioned, budget permitting. Be sure to double-check your throw distance to screen size relationship. And keep your lamp fresh (it will be down by 50% after 300 to 400hrs). That's all I can think of. Enjoy...

Not many HT projectors out there (under 10K) that have more light output in best image mode than the JVC RS46. Granted it does not have the light output in dynamic mode that some of the LCD models have, but how many people use dynamic mode in there rooms, especially in dedicated light controlled rooms.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-24-2012, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Fixed frame for sure..

I am thinking between 120-133 inches depending on aspect ratio. I still cannot make the decision on 16:9 or 2:35.

I got some samples sent to me but no way of testing them because this is going to be my first projector and will not have it until the end of the year. The HP 2.4 screen has caught my eyes. It just sounds like a brighter picture overall if I mount it right above eye level which is not a problem around 18 feet back. But how much of a difference wil I see. From the videos and pics I have seen it looks like the brightness is increased bigtime.

Is there a huge BAD part of using a higher gain screen that is needed?
post #6 of 12 Old 09-26-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Not many HT projectors out there (under 10K) that have more light output in best image mode than the JVC RS46. Granted it does not have the light output in dynamic mode that some of the LCD models have, but how many people use dynamic mode in there rooms, especially in dedicated light controlled rooms.

There are a number of sub 10K DLP projectors that have more light output, sharper imaging, and decent contrast (though not as much native contrast as LCOS). That's the trade-off: smallish image size and soft picture but great contrast, or large image size and sharp picture, but somewhat less contrast.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-26-2012, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post

Fixed frame for sure..
I am thinking between 120-133 inches depending on aspect ratio. I still cannot make the decision on 16:9 or 2:35.
I got some samples sent to me but no way of testing them because this is going to be my first projector and will not have it until the end of the year. The HP 2.4 screen has caught my eyes. It just sounds like a brighter picture overall if I mount it right above eye level which is not a problem around 18 feet back. But how much of a difference wil I see. From the videos and pics I have seen it looks like the brightness is increased bigtime.
Is there a huge BAD part of using a higher gain screen that is needed?
How's the HP 2.4 screen perform under ambient light or daylight?
post #8 of 12 Old 09-26-2012, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
The RS46 being potentially rated at 1,300 lumens is probably not going to be bright enough for 3D on screens over 100" unless you go with the High Power, in my opinion. While these projectors are rated at 1,300 lumens, they probably display half that or less when properly tweaked. I would go with the HP 2.4 at 133" especially if you can mount the projector behind you at head level or close to head level give or take a couple of feet. The downside of all this gain is for 2D. If you can't crank the brightness down enough for normal viewing, you will have to use a neutral density filter, but, using a 133" or bigger screen and low or eco mode, plus cinema mode, plus tweaking the contrast and brightness for 2D should not require a filter. For 3D, you'll want all the brightness (lumens) you can get. If you don't use the projector much for 3D, then there are other screen options besides the HP. Be careful not to be confused by all the talk about the JVCs and 2D images, vs. 3D. Normal 2D image lovers of the past dwelled on high contrast, black as black, and detail in the dark areas of the images, but with 3D it all changes. With shutterglasses, you need brightness (lumens) first and foremost, then all the contrast and black is secondary.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-27-2012, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Very interesting .... I just cant justify 3d... I know I will watch a few movies in 3d and thats probably it
post #10 of 12 Old 09-27-2012, 05:38 AM

I think when you see truly good, bright 3D, it will change your mind, however, there are lots of screen options for the JVC. I would explore the projector forums for existing experience with the JVCs being sold today and see what others have done and what they are thinking.
post #11 of 12 Old 09-27-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

There are a number of sub 10K DLP projectors that have more light output, sharper imaging, and decent contrast (though not as much native contrast as LCOS). That's the trade-off: smallish image size and soft picture but great contrast, or large image size and sharp picture, but somewhat less contrast.

Not counting the cheap low contrast DLP's, I know the Benq W7000 has more light output in best image mode. What else out there does?

Mits 7800 no
Planar PD8150 no (also discontinued)
Runco LS-5 no
Optoma HD8300 no
Mits HC4000 yes, but only with Brilliant Color on, so not sure I would call that best image mode.
Infocus SP8602 yes, but discontinued

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-27-2012, 09:43 AM

Hmm, I'm thinking based on reading reviews, that the Optoma HD8300 will deliver a brighter image than the JVC with comparable contrast.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page