digital1crystal screen paint - Page 2 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 46 Old 10-12-2012, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
do not blame me jwh92020 i put a lot of hope on it and i was shocked
and no one see the pics at first will say the paint is for no good ( price & quality )
i maybe rushed the judgement out ( not expert )

calibrating the projector with the screen and the surrounding lights with the camera calibration and shots angle taken .. all together results in different fact to be consider !!
i know a lot left to talk about this paint ( hot spot - viewing angle - color shifting - uneven brightness - ....etc )
Quote:
posting here is not to belittle the product or hype it
if you see that the product works for you in your situation, then you need to decide if the cost is justified
fair enough ......

waiting your handy test next round smile.gif

all appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 10-12-2012, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I didn't get to post these before work today. Took these at 8 am Arizona time. There is a lot of light coming in the room. First pic is with lights on, door uncovered, flash on. Second is lights on, door uncovered, no flash. Obviously the flash is overpowering the image so from here on, all my pics will be no flash. I did nothing to the projector before taking these, but the paint had time to dry more thoroughly. You can see in the second pic that the painted side is richer and is definitely watchable. The light from the door is flooding the screen. (The glass in the door is 20"w x 60"h, so it's a lot of light). Imagine someone standing next to you as you look straight ahead. Then they shine a flashlight across your field of vision. That is how the light from the door hits the screen. Time to go try a foam roller and see if I can get a smooth finish (not because of the paint, but because I hate foam rollers!)

post #33 of 46 Old 10-12-2012, 11:00 PM

My last set of test pictures (I'm out of paint). The screen is a piece of foam board insulation. The right side is Digital1 applied with a foam roller (it does work better). The left is Behr Silver Screen (also applied with a foam roller). I took the pictures at 5 pm Arizona time. I can tell you that the images look much better in front of the screen than the pictures show, but you all can't come to my house and check it out, so this is what I can offer. I'll let you guys take a look and decide for yourselves. I did move the screen to my living room and hit it with my "theater projector" in a completely dark room. Both images jumped off the screen. Like I said before, I'm not trying to sell the paint nor belittle it. I just wanted to share what I've experienced. Whatever you think or feel, play nice with each other. We are all just trying to figure out what works best for us individually. This is not an all or nothing thing. Thanks for everyone's input.

The pictures are as follows:
#1 - to show the light conditions in the room
#2 - To show the "light wash" across the screen from the door (this really hurts the images)
#3 - Lights on, door uncovered, no flash
#4 - Lights on, door covered, no flash
#5 - Lights off, door covered, no flash

post #34 of 46 Old 10-13-2012, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Hello jwh92020 you have done a great gob so far here smile.gif
Quote:
the painted side is richer and is definitely watchable
and thats really interesting .. and i can see why the painted from the door side pic is getting that ...

and no one can state how good exactly is this paint by means of shots taken .
real view impression is the words we can much count on ( due to so many facts involved ) !!! ( in case of PQ similarity shots )
look here how its apparent to the eye vision of a show to judge :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da1MD-ync2U
you will say WOW now thats what i call a screen ( but they dont come cheap tongue.gif )

using a foam roller will not change the shot quality ( you may the only one feeling the changes .. just saying )

NOW on some point we have a good review about the paint ...
I believe the HD silver 3D will outstanding the normal digital1crystal screen paint wink.gif
anyway it all matters the price and quality for all of us :
Quote:
I just wanted to share what I've experienced

is it ok with you if I bring up your experience on the main thread somehow !!

thanks jwh92020 you were so handy for us and its all must be appreciated smile.gif
post #35 of 46 Old 10-13-2012, 01:43 AM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 351
jwh92020,

Your efforts do far more and go much further toward establishing some degree of judgmental ability than do yyy484's somewhat overly enthusiastic posts (...that have no basis at all in any experience...) or MOZART3737, our "Satisfied Customer" who suddenly just joined up a day ago...in time to rebuke yyy484's postings for being unsubstantiated musings, yet goes no further than yyy484 to offer up anything substantiated himself. A sure instance of "The Pot callin' the Kettle Black". If MOZART3737 is / was a Beta user (strangely not mentioned) that might explain a few things...but no such info was pro-offered.

Both postings seem at worst wholly out of place, and in the least, not very timely...alluding to the fact they both seem grossly promotional but completely lacking in substantiation.

Bluntly stated, since the value and performance of the applications developed on DIY Screens has risen to the heights they have, we've seen more than a few opportunistic Entrepreneurial attempts on EBay / Amazon / You Tube to sell people various DIY Screen paints. Everyone of 'em are either direct copies / Clones / or not so vaguely similar concoctions of well known AVS DIY formulas, and they are all of 'em way over priced. Even the most expensive AVS-based DIY Screen paint, Silver Fire, comes in at approx. $96.00 a "GALLON".....not $65.00 per quart + shipping. rolleyes.gif

But on this Forum, it's not always about value / performance as much as it is about convenience. People who want to "Buy" don't always equate value as being as important as convenience. . But what is most troubling are overt efforts by people to use oblique efforts to promote a product for sale by splashing posts onto AVS under the guise of being "New Member" and try to profit from such without contributing to the AVS bottom line. That is not only unethical and deceitful toward other Members, it's pretty much a flagrant violation of AVS policy and rules. Now I'm not sayin' that's the case in hand here, but I also have to state that people who frequent this Forum regularly, and those who run it, are not dummies nor ignorant of such efforts.. I'm just say'in.

jwh92020 is the only one I see trying to clarify the situation. As such, to this point his opinions and finding are the only relevant postings so far.

Here is some interesting reading somewhat related to the subject.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432177/painting-onto-a-106-tab-tensioned-screen-with-silver-fire-v2-5-4-0

However, if anyone wants to discuss the contents of the provided link, they should do so on that side of "the Fence", not on this thread.

yyy484, I don't want you to feel I'm being accusatory toward you...your obviously caught up in being in no small way overly enthusiastic about something your excited about. You've been a member for a couple months, preceding this subject with many other posts about a variety of things, so in truth, your personal efforts are not at all suspect.

Just maybe a little "Over the Top". wink.gif

But we've all been there one time or another...or a couple dozen times. biggrin.gif

Keep on being enthusiastic...but temper such with some real knowledge and experience and your postings will become much more credible and have far greater value to those reading them and who need sage advice.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #36 of 46 Old 10-13-2012, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

thanks Mr MississippiMan for clearing things out smile.gif
you do not accusatory toward me . in fact i came to know my mistake after what jwh92020 says :
Quote:
posting here is not to belittle the product or hype it
if you see that the product works for you in your situation, then you need to decide if the cost is justified
realizing that the paint vs silver fire v2 ( i save my thoughts )

i will fix things up next time biggrin.gif

anyways there are a lot to learn and i have a lack of experience on both sides . the thread ways and the projector belongings redface.gif

no worries Sir life is meant to be challenging . i will make my own screen paint ( hah thinking my self a hero tongue.gif )

thanks alot MississippiMan for passing by - your silver fire v2 4.0 screen really awesome ( dont you sell it biggrin.gif )

cheers smile.gif
post #37 of 46 Old 10-13-2012, 06:56 AM

MM - thanks for the props. To any one who reads this - I bought the paint & tested it (in a wholly unscientific way) for a few reasons. First was the fact that I do a lot of outdoor movies and something that will provide a good picture with more light is always good for that (earlier start times, the pesky street light that shines in the yard). Whether or not the paint will hold up outside is yet to be seen, but there is a piece of "screen" on the back of my house sunbathing here in Phoenix. Second is the fact that while I have the equipment and experience with spraying, there are a lot of people out there that don't. If there is a roll on product, be it commercial or a DIY mix, (and in reality, didn't all commercial products start as a result of someone thinking "What if I mixed these things together") that can give someone a better picture, then why not try it? In my personal situation, my living room is pretty well light controlled and the other screen is used at night so light is not an issue for me. My screens are black out cloth, so they are my "known quantities". After all the painting and pictures, I can say quite honestly that I could not replicate the picture quality shown on the youtube videos. Does this mean the product doesn't work as shown? Not necessarily, it just means I couldn't get the same results. I can also say that taking the last "screen" I painted into my living room and shooting it with my HD66, both sides looked great, but the Digital1 side was sharper and had more contrast than the Behr side. YY- I realize the foam roller won't increase the quality of the screen shots and that was not my thought. I originally used a 1/4 nap fabric roller and it produced a heavier texture with the paint. The foam roller allowed the paint to go on smoother with much less texture. That was my reason for mentioning it. I think my work here is done. It's time for someone else to post their thoughts and musings (after they've tried the product).
post #38 of 46 Old 10-13-2012, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

jwh thank you so much for sharing your experience and advise smile.gif
first of all i have a budget buying a good PJ and nothing stopping me . except the laser/led tech ( waiting high end one next year )
the screen was my concern ( most people does ) coz it plays a big factor when it comes to hardcore or PQ stuff ...
so knowledge is a key finding out the best fits someone situation ( budget - pj - screen - cave or not ..etc )
in my case i have not a bad knowledge to work it out and play the most of it . experience is more meant for professional degrees not a target !!
normal people they do not get into that .. they just buy and take in what they believe is good and convenient ...

anyways again thanks a lot for all of your efforts and you will always shine on this simple thread smile.gif
post #39 of 46 Old 06-26-2014, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I tried the 3.6 Gain HD 4K

Lets just say that my results were very very less than satisfactory.

I compared their paint to a white wall & to my eyes there was virtually no difference.

I have photos of the results.

When I voiced my opinion, their response was also very very less than satisfactory.

If you look on their website, you'll see that they no longer ship to Australia.

Ooops my bad

I was so disappointed with the results & told them and in doing so .... I managed to get an entire continent banned from being supplied Digital 1 Crystal paint ever again.

I'd like to apologise to the other 20 odd million people in Australia, but rest assured I have probably done you all a favour.

If anyone would like to see the photos, let me know.

Cheers everyone
post #40 of 46 Old 07-03-2014, 05:05 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by australian screens View Post
I tried the 3.6 Gain HD 4K

Lets just say that my results were very very less than satisfactory.

I compared their paint to a white wall & to my eyes there was virtually no difference.

I have photos of the results.

When I voiced my opinion, their response was also very very less than satisfactory.

If you look on their website, you'll see that they no longer ship to Australia.

Ooops my bad

I was so disappointed with the results & told them and in doing so .... I managed to get an entire continent banned from being supplied Digital 1 Crystal paint ever again.

I'd like to apologise to the other 20 odd million people in Australia, but rest assured I have probably done you all a favour.

If anyone would like to see the photos, let me know.

Cheers everyone
I'm in the market for some paint right now and I am reading through this thread. I did notice that they don't sell to australia. How did you ban a continet! LOL! I would like to see the pictures. I live in Tennessee(in the U.S.) and I notice that they don't deliver here as well. I wonder who pissed him off?!
post #41 of 46 Old 07-24-2014, 10:28 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowtime View Post
I'm in the market for some paint right now and I am reading through this thread. I did notice that they don't sell to australia. How did you ban a continet! LOL! I would like to see the pictures. I live in Tennessee(in the U.S.) and I notice that they don't deliver here as well. I wonder who pissed him off?!
You can read my "Google" review of their product as well.

Here are some photos.

You can make out the panel painted with their paint in the middle & ordinary white wall to the left & right.

IMO their paint is awful on skintones & I reckon it actually gives off a duller yellow than ordinary paint on the horse picture.

Absolute garbage, I'm now convinced its a scam !!

Since I published my google review he has gone all out to convince people his paint actually works. Loads of new photos & video's have appeared on the site with supposedly delighted customers testifying how good the paint is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1526927_671371982955674_5906992917888858795_n.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	178314   Click image for larger version

Name:	10351518_671375422955330_1103856327295387699_n.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	178322   Click image for larger version

Name:	10453464_671375369622002_1622385991631835922_n.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	178338  
post #42 of 46 Old 07-24-2014, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 158
In every youtube video I've seen, he (Kenneth) shows off the results using a 720p ultra short throw projector. I'm not sure he even knows how his paint performs with regular 1080p projectors. As many have already said, If his paint is so great, these forums would be flooded with people raving about it.
post #43 of 46 Old 08-22-2014, 12:27 PM

Digtal1crystal garbage

Quote:
Originally Posted by australian screens View Post

Absolute garbage, I'm now convinced its a scam !!
I will have to agree about garbage

In July of this year I ask Kenneth for a small sample to test, paint best suited to 3d passive..

He assured me to buy the Ice 2.9 gain, would work well with 3d passive.

He stated he is a chemist and had come up with a custom formula the would preserve the polarized image...

I ask him six times, are you sure this will work with passive 3d.. He said absolutely

I paid and received 2 gallons of dented cans with an inkjet printed labels, see image below...

Tested product out in August, to my surprise when I opened can, it is a white paint not silver

Reading the ad, I thought Ice 2.9 would have a silver reflective quality, Kenneth reassured me passive 3d would be preserved.

I called for a return, and he just talked over me, he requested photos of cans and screen painted..

I sent 5 emails, he said he never received them. then he said the email address is no longer his, I asked for another email address and he refused..

Kenneth doesn't answer my calls, I used a friends cell and he picks up, and yells at me, what a horrible experience

Never buy this product
LJH
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-08-22 at 12.21.25 PM.png
Views:	111
Size:	469.7 KB
ID:	224273  
post #44 of 46 Old 08-22-2014, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardJohn View Post
I will have to agree about garbage

In July of this year I ask Kenneth for a small sample to test, paint best suited to 3d passive..

He assured me to buy the Ice 2.9 gain, would work well with 3d passive.

He stated he is a chemist and had come up with a custom formula the would preserve the polarized image...

I ask him six times, are you sure this will work with passive 3d.. He said absolutely

I paid and received 2 gallons of dented cans with an inkjet printed labels, see image below...

Tested product out in August, to my surprise when I opened can, it is a white paint not silver

Reading the ad, I thought Ice 2.9 would have a silver reflective quality, Kenneth reassured me passive 3d would be preserved.

I called for a return, and he just talked over me, he requested photos of cans and screen painted..

I sent 5 emails, he said he never received them. then he said the email address is no longer his, I asked for another email address and he refused..

Kenneth doesn't answer my calls, I used a friends cell and he picks up, and yells at me, what a horrible experience

Never buy this product
LJH
Sorry to hear about how you were treated. No self respecting businessman should ever treat a customer like that.
Although he probably doesn't deserve it after the way you've been treated: Just to be fair to Kenneth, did you actually try to paint a screen? If you did, did you try to project passive 3d? Just curious as to how far you went with your test. I'm leaning towards the opinion that his passive 3d paint is BS, but it would be nice to have proof of it.
post #45 of 46 Old 08-22-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post
Just to be fair to Kenneth, did you actually try to paint a screen? If you did, did you try to project passive 3d?
Yes I painted a smooth sanded wood board (see image below), I first called Kenneth before opening the paint, and confirmed this paint will work with a passive 3d, he said to put two coats on the surface and it will work...

I set the board up in dark room next to my 27 iMac and projected a passive 3d image, the image on the digital1crystal paint side (no 3d effect) image doubled, I moved the image to the back of the iMac, and wow, perfect passive 3d...I knew a silver screen was the key.. That is what I thought I was getting, a screen paint for passive 3d..

I tried to clarify this with Kenneth many times, "have you tested this paint with passive 3d", he answered yes each and every time...

He was more interested in telling me how his company is no longer shipping direct to customers, an international company has bought him out and paint will be available from distributors at a higher price starting the end of August, so get your order in now and save money...

I now have $400.00 worth of useless paint....

LJH
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-08-22 at 4.07.28 PM.png
Views:	72
Size:	579.4 KB
ID:	224801  

Last edited by LeonardJohn; 08-22-2014 at 05:12 PM.
post #46 of 46 Old 08-22-2014, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Thank you for the clarification. So it's confirmed. The passive 3d paint is BS.
By the way. My older brother has been employed as a chemist in various companies since the 1980's. He told me a while back that this guy was full of it. I'm starting to believe him now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page