Just received and mounted my new DNP Supernova BLADE 08-85 Screen. Pics and impressions inside. - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 97 Old 08-25-2013, 02:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulnight View Post

The sony VW 1000ES cost about 20000€ and have real calibrated 2000Lumens, so quite a bit more than your Epson.

The ambient light viewing with the supernova 23-23 was REALLY impressive! It was like a big TV smile.gif

Still happy with your DNP supernova 08-85? How do you find the white?

I have nothing to compare the white to but no I'm not 100% happy with the screen during 3D horror movies, Other genre's seem bright enough though especially in 2D but always used in dynamic. It's best to have the extra headroom for when the bulb starts to dim plus if it's brighter I may even go into eco mode for 2D material and save bulb life.

According to some bench test review the Epson is much higher than the 25,000 Sony in dynamic which is what I always use.

http://www.onprojection.com/dnpSupernova/Surfaces.aspx

08-85 "We recommend a 3,000+ lumen projector for a 100" or larger screen; 2,500 lumens for the smaller varieties. If you have strong side light from windows, 23-23 would be a better option."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 97 Old 10-23-2013, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

good ,you might get a general idea about the screen but you miss a lot with small samples.

6.gif

post #93 of 97 Old 11-24-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hupusports View Post

good ,you might get a general idea about the screen but you miss a lot with small samples.
6.gif

Here's a big sample. 23-23 blade vs .8 blade. The 2.3 gain makes a huge difference watching pacific rim was awesome. The whites are actually white and colors pop. Plus 3D is no longer dim with 2.3 and Epson 5020 combo. I'm making another thread on it. Three people already commented how it looked better than before. It feels more like a normal TV now. The .8 material did have a better black level and dark movies like Silent Hill looked a lot better since their isn't much bright colors or scenes in the movie if any at all. The constrast looked better and made the 2.3 material look almost grey in comparison. When I stopped comparing them and started using the 2.3 did I not notice the black levels but side by side it made a pretty big difference. The .8 appears to look darker to the right in the pictures but I did not notice this with my own eyes. This is probably because the projector was 2.5 feet left of the center of the two screens so light was being absorbed more by the .8 towards the end. But what I see in the pictures is pretty much what I saw with my eyes minus the quality and dimming caused by the camera.

post #94 of 97 Old 12-04-2013, 12:48 AM

Liked: 12
But the 23-23 material does sparkles with bright scenes and it looks like it adds "noise" and "grain" to the fim. The 08-55 doesn't... I've seen both of them, and both screens have their strenghs. If you can live with shimmering and blacks that look grey, but you like vivid colors, go for the 23-23. If you like blacks, high contrast and if you cannot stand shimmering, AND you are no bother by white which are not perfectly white, go with the 08-85.

I would personally go with a DNP supernova with a gain of 1,3 and the balance would be perfect....but it doesn't exist. DNP if you hear me...?
post #95 of 97 Old 12-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I agree with Soulnight. A 1.3 gain Supernova would be perfect. The new Firehawk G4 is nice but still a tad too dark at ~ 1.1 gain. A 1.3 gain FH G4 would be perfect as well. I have to check into the new Reference Daylight Xtreme screen.
post #96 of 97 Old 12-07-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulnight View Post

But the 23-23 material does sparkles with bright scenes and it looks like it adds "noise" and "grain" to the fim. The 08-55 doesn't... I've seen both of them, and both screens have their strenghs. If you can live with shimmering and blacks that look grey, but you like vivid colors, go for the 23-23. If you like blacks, high contrast and if you cannot stand shimmering, AND you are no bother by white which are not perfectly white, go with the 08-85.

I would personally go with a DNP supernova with a gain of 1,3 and the balance would be perfect....but it doesn't exist. DNP if you hear me...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

I agree with Soulnight. A 1.3 gain Supernova would be perfect. The new Firehawk G4 is nice but still a tad too dark at ~ 1.1 gain. A 1.3 gain FH G4 would be perfect as well. I have to check into the new Reference Daylight Xtreme screen.

Here's some better advice. Don't buy a .8 unless you have a 3000-3500 calibrated lumen projector, period.

I believe DNP actually states this themselves. Even in 2D with an Epson, I'm leaving it on high lamp living room mode. Sure it has slightly better blacks in a man cave, but ambient light will negate that benefit plus people buy these expensive screens for the ambient light rejection therefore, not really using in a man cave as much as in their living room. So it's slightly better black levels is not a good reason to go with a .8. The 2.3 looks like an LCD screen and a few people have comented how good it looks.
post #97 of 97 Old 12-30-2013, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
You caught my attention OP. How well does the DNP Supernova Blade do with scattering light throughout a dark room? One of the things I love about the BD screen is how it doesn't light up a dark room with reflected light. A screen being mounted near the ceiling reflects a lot of light and I'm looking for a screen that would greatly reduce/eliminate this effect.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page