Is a Stewart screen so much better? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-04-2012, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
yin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is a Stewart screen worth the more money compared to other manufactures?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2012, 10:54 AM

Liked: 13
When you get a chance google carada, dalite, & stewart screen material test results its from 2009 but it may be some help to you.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wonder the same thing, I read this report but... http://accucalhd.com/documents/accucal_front_projection_screen_report.pdf
Old 10-07-2012, 07:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 531
The gauge of Stewart's fabric is probably 10 times thicker than that of the low costs screens.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 10-08-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 29
As with any number of product categories, there is frequently a disproportionately large premium to be paid for a marginal amount of additional performance. Stewart, Da-Lite, Vutec, Draper, and others all make very good screens. Stewart has done an excellent job over the decades of establishing themselves as the Cadillac of screens. But as the cost of projectors have come down, they found it increasingly difficult to maintain market share relative to less costly competition. That may explain their recent introduction of an "affordable" screen line they call CIMA.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I own a 15' Stewart StudioTek screen and a 12' SMX audio screen and the SmX Screen destroys the stewart screen in my opinion, mainly because the SmX is an audio screen and the millions of little holes actually seem to add better contrast, or so it appears that way.

The SmX frame is also considerably better. I haven't tried anyone else's screens
Old 10-19-2012, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 48
But isn't the SMX screen also far more expensive than the Stewart screen? I was under the impression that SMX was one of, if not the, most expensive screen manufacturers. (Curious because I would like an SMX screen, but I've heard its pretty much as much as a car for a good size screen with their pro curv stuff).

If one is going to make a simplistic assessment of the value of different alignments, it would be that sealed/IB goes the lowest, at the highest cost per dB; horns have the lowest cost per dB at the expense of size, and vented box characteristics lie in between the other two. None is inherently superior across the board, neither is any inherently inferior across the board. The one to use is the one that fits your response and output needs, available space and bank account. -BFM
Old 10-19-2012, 09:16 PM

Liked: 11
has anyone heard of grandview screen?as i heard is the same manufacturer with stewart screen only the screen material is different is it true? and have anyone see any grandview screen before like to know if it worth to purchased it as my place selling it at reasonable price.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2012, 05:21 PM

Liked: 53
I'm not sure if it is how your picture was taken but you should have NO wrinkles with the Stewart. I'd give stewart a call and see if your tensioning can be adjusted. And neither should the grandview if it is a tensioned screen.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

The gauge of Stewart's fabric is probably 10 times thicker than that of the low costs screens.
Does that make a difference?

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

Old 01-08-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 333
I own both Stewart and Da-Lite screens. IMO, yes, Stewart is worth the extra money. They make some very good screen materials. I find that the Firehawk G3 screen material is finer grained and a little more refined than Da-Lite's similar High Contrast Cinema Vision screen material. But, you pay more for that refinement. Stewart has some unique screen materials. Like very fine expensive wine, whether the difference is worth the money is a question only you can answer.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Old 01-08-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

What about Severston? I just got turned onto them by a sales guy in an ultra high end place, he said they give Stewart performance at a fraction of the price. They had a 96 screen on display, looked nice enough to me, didn't found out what material it was though.

Snake Plissken

Old 01-08-2013, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
I've never heard of Severston.
Quote:
they give Stewart performance at a fraction of the price

You know, everybody thinks they can get Ferrari performance at Yugo prices. They don't want to spend any money on a projector, but then complain that the cheap projector doesn't perform or have a killer lens like the expensive projector. I really think you get what you pay for.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Old 01-08-2013, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

You should look them up, they provide screens for NASA, and they make IMAX screens. There isn't a great deal of info on them, but I've yet to read anything bad.
http://www.severtsonscreens.com/

By and large I agree you get what you pay for, the older I get the clearer that gets. However in an industry that tries to sell us pure silver speaker wire at hundreds per foot, sometimes it pays to think twice about price. I have to wonder when Stewart charges better than double most of its competitors.

Especially when I get such advice from a place that sells both screens.

Snake Plissken

Old 01-08-2013, 06:33 PM

Liked: 14
I say buy the best screen you can afford as perhaps 1-3 yrs you might end up changing the projector where I think the screen is a keeper for a long time.
projector technology changes every year:eek:,my X9 is old now and it's a yr:eek:.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post

What about Severston? I just got turned onto them by a sales guy in an ultra high end place, he said they give Stewart performance at a fraction of the price. They had a 96 screen on display, looked nice enough to me, didn't found out what material it was though.

Looking at their site, it seems they use the same screen materials as Da-Lite. They have the same descriptions. E.g. : Cinema Grey: Cinema Grey is designed for today’s moderate output DLP and LCD projectors. This screen surface is a great choice when video images are the main source of information being projected and where ambient lighting is moderately controlled. With its specially designed grey base surface, this screen material is able to provide excellent black levels without sacrificing the white level output. Cinema Grey is washable with mild soap and water, flame retardant and mildew resistant. Viewing Angle: 50° Gain: 1.0

Da-Lite: Designed for today’s moderate output DLP and LCD projectors, this screen surface is a great choice when video images are the main source of information being projected and where ambient lighting is moderately controlled. With its specially designed gray base surface and a reflective top surface, this screen material is able to provide very good black levels without sacrificing the white level output. Screen surface can be cleaned with mild soap and water. Flame retardant and mildew resistant. Viewing Angle: 50° Gain: 1.1

- Klipsch RF-82 ii, RC-62 ii, RS-52 ii
- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
Old 07-09-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

They do not sell the same screen materials any more than a bottle of cabernet sauvignon with a Schrader label on it is the same as a Columbia Crest cabernet..............smile.gif

Old 07-11-2013, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

They do not sell the same screen materials any more than a bottle of cabernet sauvignon with a Schrader label on it is the same as a Columbia Crest cabernet..............smile.gif

Sorry I don't drink and that analogy is way over my head smile.gif

I'm just saying that if you look at their descriptions, and the different screen materials they offer, their lineup does seem similar to da-lite's. Maybe not the same, but if not then someone is in for some copyright trouble.

- Klipsch RF-82 ii, RC-62 ii, RS-52 ii
- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
Old 07-20-2013, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
I'm just saying that if you look at their descriptions, and the different screen materials they offer, their lineup does seem similar to da-lite's. Maybe not the same, but if not then someone is in for some copyright trouble.

I think it would be difficult to copyright the typical descriptions used. It's really hard to evaluate similarities in the screen construction much less material without looking at both to do the comparison.

To the original poster, Stewart does many things well and it's fair to say they're are the industry standard to measure by. It's hard to answer question of value without doing a comparison of fit and finish, uniformity of screen material and user experience for you to personally come to a conclusion. Having had some experience with various types and brands of screens, it requires more than comparing specs on paper as there are issues beyond just visual similarities to take into account in deciding what would matter to you.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Since Stewart makes all their own screen materials, and doesn't OEM their screen materials to other companies, one thing you can say for sure is that nobody has the same screen surface / material that Stewart does.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

I think you are just trying to sell something that is VIRTUALLY the same.... wink.gif

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

Old 07-22-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Not particular to Stewart, but having a thicker material is much better with retractable screens. Obviously, the tensioning is important to keep the material flat, but having a thicker material (that doesn't stretch easily) makes the chance of the screen keeping its original shape and flatness over time helps.

B.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

I think you are just trying to sell something that is VIRTUALLY the same.... wink.gif

There are other differences. As Craig said above Stewart does the manufacturing of their screen materials. Most others purchase screen materials. This means Stewart has the responsibility of quality control and can set the standard for their material. If you look at independent testing you will see that the stewart screens have very high marks for uniformity. Stewart also uses optical coatings on many of their screens, rather than just using the gain of the base material. There are many reasons why a Stewart screen performs very well and is used in many of the finest theaters. As for you statement: I guess you could say the same for Mercedes cars compared to Honda cars. As you put it they are virtually the same. They both have four doors and an engine.

Added
Try to find another manufacturer that has an AT screen with a gain of 1.2 and above. I am talking actual gain, not just manufacturer listed specs.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .