Home Theater Upgrade Project- what do i do for a new screen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-09-2012, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

I am a long time projector owner, Infocus SP5000. It just hit 2000 hours after 7 years of ownership. I figured it was time to buy a new one rather than replace the bulb.
So...

I just ordered the Panasonic AE7000U, because it seems to be one of the best projectors for under $2,500, and I can use my existing Panasonic 3d glasses with it. I see the real benefits as a doubling the lumens up to 2000, contrast ratio goes from 1200 to 300,000, 3D, HDMI and 1080P.

My current home theater uses the controversial "painted wall" technique, that I am quite frankly happy with. I see no visible wall imperfections and no hot spots. The contrast ratio of the infocus projector is poor so I have very little detail in dark areas, yet sports look great.The home theater is in my basement which I built from scratch. The dimensions are 10x20 with a 100" screen. The wall is very flat, and nearly perfect and has never caused me to think that it needed to be replaced, until, my daughter threw something and dented it. The dent is visible from 5' away but after that it is not noticeable when the projector is on. This makes me wonder how perfect the wall needs to be when seated so far away.

So, now I have to spackle and repaint... Or, get a screen.

More facts. Near zero ambient light, seats are 11' and 17' away. Viewing angle is less than 45degrees. Projector is 14' from screen. The walls are camel suede paint and do not reflect anything, but the ceiling is white and does light up when the screen is on.

How is the quality of the screens sold on ebay? Any experience with them? I honestly broke the bank to get this projector, and really could not spend more than $300-$500 on a screen.

I am confused on what gain I should get too.

My options are: Repair and repaint the wall using the sherwin williams pro classic smooth enamel, right away
or
Buy an ebay based 100" screen for around $200 (next credit card statement)
or
DIYTheater, goo or another brand of projector paint (next credit card statement)
or
wait and save for a proper screen. 4months out (after christmas bills)

Your thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-09-2012, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by slytsi View Post

Hello All,
I am a long time projector owner, Infocus SP5000. It just hit 2000 hours after 7 years of ownership. I figured it was time to buy a new one rather than replace the bulb.
So...
I just ordered the Panasonic AE7000U, because it seems to be one of the best projectors for under $2,500, and I can use my existing Panasonic 3d glasses with it. I see the real benefits as a doubling the lumens up to 2000, contrast ratio goes from 1200 to 300,000, 3D, HDMI and 1080P.
My current home theater uses the controversial "painted wall" technique, that I am quite frankly happy with. I see no visible wall imperfections and no hot spots. The contrast ratio of the infocus projector is poor so I have very little detail in dark areas, yet sports look great.The home theater is in my basement which I built from scratch. The dimensions are 10x20 with a 100" screen. The wall is very flat, and nearly perfect and has never caused me to think that it needed to be replaced, until, my daughter threw something and dented it. The dent is visible from 5' away but after that it is not noticeable when the projector is on. This makes me wonder how perfect the wall needs to be when seated so far away.
So, now I have to spackle and repaint... Or, get a screen.
More facts. Near zero ambient light, seats are 11' and 17' away. Viewing angle is less than 45degrees. Projector is 14' from screen. The walls are camel suede paint and do not reflect anything, but the ceiling is white and does light up when the screen is on.
How is the quality of the screens sold on ebay? Any experience with them? I honestly broke the bank to get this projector, and really could not spend more than $300-$500 on a screen.
I am confused on what gain I should get too.
My options are: Repair and repaint the wall using the sherwin williams pro classic smooth enamel, right away
or
Buy an ebay based 100" screen for around $200 (next credit card statement)
or
DIYTheater, goo or another brand of projector paint (next credit card statement)
or
wait and save for a proper screen. 4months out (after christmas bills)
Your thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Justin

May be try Jamestown...
post #3 of 4 Old 10-11-2012, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks. I never heard of the JamesTown. I will look into it further.

-Justin
post #4 of 4 Old 10-11-2012, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by slytsi View Post

Thanks. I never heard of the JamesTown. I will look into it further.
-Justin

If you are looking for a good screen on a budget, also check out the Focupix screens at www.htdepot.com. I use a 125" 2.35 fixed frame 1.5 gain(reports are that it might not measure 1.5) screen from them with very good results. Very nice quality for the price. Their fixed frame screens are covered in black velvet and are very easy to put together and look more expensive than their price.

Mike

The Mayans were full of sh*t!!!
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page