What's a normal amount of ripples in a pulldown? PICS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 10-22-2012, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I got my elite 135" pulldown installed and my fantasy of being the guy that gets the perfectly flat one that never develops ripples was indeed a fantasy. The first issue I had was that after screwing the screen on to the 1x4 I installed on the ceiling, I could see that it was not level. To compensate I installed longer screws on one side and lowered them until it's now in the ballpark. I'm not really sure how to get it perfectly level as there doesn't seem to be a surface that I would consider particularly reliable for a level. Plus I don't know that my level is up to the task either.

So I could see that the screen had some ripples and some things that look like dents to me. I was hoping that leaving the screen down all day would help to pull them out a bit but if any thing they seem to be a little worse. I'm hoping if I can get it perfectly level that could help so any tips on how to do that would be great. My main question is whether I should ask Amazon to send me a different screen and return this one but I'm not sure what a normal amount of ripple and/or denting is normal and whether either of these things will resolve over time or just get worse.

The dents can be seen on the front but I put a picture of the back of the screen as well.

Sorry for all of the same boring pictures. ha.

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-22-2012, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Is it possible for smaller screens (such as 92") to develop ripples to? lower possibility?
post #3 of 12 Old 10-23-2012, 08:17 AM

Liked: 52
All non-tensioned screens eventually develop waves, the question is how visible they are? Bigger screens typically have more problems. Typically, a basic white screen like you have or Da-lite highpower are the best materials for not noticing waves with regular viewing material. You will notice them on bright scenes especially if of a solid color like a blue sky or ice. There are other factors that help as well. One is the size of roller, the more expensive screens have a larger, sturdier roller like in the Da-lite Model C.

A smaller screen would benefit you in a couple of ways. One is it would get your speakers out of the corners which is not the best location for good sound. You might also raise the center speaker to get it a little closer to the height of your towers for a more seamless soundstage across the front speakers. It would also help a little with waves but like I said all non-tensioned screens eventually develop them but the larger ones are usually more pronounced.

The first question is does the waves very noticeable with viewing material? You are definitely going to see them with nothing projected on the screen.

How important is a big picture to you? If you are willing to sacrifice sound quality to get the biggest visual impact that is fine.

Also, a bigger level does help when mounting but if you check yours in multiple spots you should be fine.

Lastly, I would give Elite a call as that seems to have quite a few pronounced waves for a brand new screen. I'd call and check to see if that is normal for that size screen and roller.
post #4 of 12 Old 10-23-2012, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL View Post

All non-tensioned screens eventually develop waves, the question is how visible they are? Bigger screens typically have more problems. Typically, a basic white screen like you have or Da-lite highpower are the best materials for not noticing waves with regular viewing material. You will notice them on bright scenes especially if of a solid color like a blue sky or ice. There are other factors that help as well. One is the size of roller, the more expensive screens have a larger, sturdier roller like in the Da-lite Model C.
A smaller screen would benefit you in a couple of ways. One is it would get your speakers out of the corners which is not the best location for good sound. You might also raise the center speaker to get it a little closer to the height of your towers for a more seamless soundstage across the front speakers. It would also help a little with waves but like I said all non-tensioned screens eventually develop them but the larger ones are usually more pronounced.
The first question is does the waves very noticeable with viewing material? You are definitely going to see them with nothing projected on the screen.
How important is a big picture to you? If you are willing to sacrifice sound quality to get the biggest visual impact that is fine.
Also, a bigger level does help when mounting but if you check yours in multiple spots you should be fine.
Lastly, I would give Elite a call as that seems to have quite a few pronounced waves for a brand new screen. I'd call and check to see if that is normal for that size screen and roller.

Thanks for the response. I will call Elite and see what they say. This really seems like excessive rippling and denting for a brand new screen.

post #5 of 12 Old 10-23-2012, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16

Just like yours, I've got some ripples on my Dalite HP and they're 100% invisible with normal viewing.

That light source from the side is an unlikely/unreasonable scenario with which to judge it.

And, my experience has been that waves and ripples and bumps tend to disappear somewhat over time, but you have to leave it hanging un-rolled all the time. I never roll mine up any more [the screen that is].

post #6 of 12 Old 10-24-2012, 02:53 AM

Liked: 11
was your pulldown elite screen are the SRM pro series model?

Thanks
post #7 of 12 Old 10-24-2012, 09:42 AM

Definitely get it replaced. There is no way you should be even thinking about keeping that screen! From the pics, it appears that you might have a bad roller tube in that unit.

Benito
post #8 of 12 Old 10-25-2012, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Which of the screen is easier to develop ripples? Which is easier to be pulled taut with the tab tensioned system?
Screen A - 16:9 screen with 8 feet wide
Screen B - 2.35 screen with 8 feet wide too
Since both have constant width, does the image height has anything to do with a flatter screen? In this case, Screen B (being a 2.35 screen) has a shorter height.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-25-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

Which of the screen is easier to develop ripples? Which is easier to be pulled taut with the tab tensioned system?
Screen A - 16:9 screen with 8 feet wide
Screen B - 2.35 screen with 8 feet wide too
Since both have constant width, does the image height has anything to do with a flatter screen? In this case, Screen B (being a 2.35 screen) has a shorter height.

To be honest, i wouldn't be too concerned about ripples on either of those sizes simply because you mentioned that the units would be tab tensioned.
With tensioned systems, the only times i've seen ripples or waves is if it's a totally custom unit with a large amount of top masking and i'm taking about three feet or so. Pair that up with a small image and it can cause issues. But most of those get fixed at the factory.

Benito
post #10 of 12 Old 10-26-2012, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by squall12 View Post

was your pulldown elite screen are the SRM pro series model?
Thanks
This is a spectrum series screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Benito View Post

Definitely get it replaced. There is no way you should be even thinking about keeping that screen! From the pics, it appears that you might have a bad roller tube in that unit.
Benito
So you can say confidently that this is not normal? I called and emailed Elite three days ago and just followed up again now but I have not heard anything back from them yet.

post #11 of 12 Old 10-26-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Benito View Post

To be honest, i wouldn't be too concerned about ripples on either of those sizes simply because you mentioned that the units would be tab tensioned.
With tensioned systems, the only times i've seen ripples or waves is if it's a totally custom unit with a large amount of top masking and i'm taking about three feet or so. Pair that up with a small image and it can cause issues. But most of those get fixed at the factory.
Benito
Thanks but I'm worried because I've heard too much bad stories about Elite's Cinetension screens.
post #12 of 12 Old 10-26-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chezteladog View Post

This is a spectrum series screen.
So you can say confidently that this is not normal? I called and emailed Elite three days ago and just followed up again now but I have not heard anything back from them yet.

Well that's not good....send me a PM.

Benito
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page