Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 10-30-2012, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Look what I've found eek.gif
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=ru&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.3d-tek.ru%2Fscreen

The Russian company called 3D-Tek introduced in 2011 a new technology called "interpolating screen" ("optorealistic screen"). The screen does not just reflect a projecting image but transforms it optically in multiple layers from which the screen is composed. As I understood there're some lenses and phosphors inside. So, what does it do?
- Completely eliminates pixel grid while maintaining image detal (and actually increasing it 4x times) eek.gif
- Blacks look completely black eek.gif
- Phosphors help to eliminate rainbow effect for DLP projectors eek.gif
- Very high contrast under illumination

Sounds too good to be true, right? There're no reviews whatsoever and very little info on specs (gain, viewing angles etc.). Also it is stated that a projector must meet very specific requirements. The details are scarce.
So I'm going to go and see this screen in person soon. I will post my experience.

Here's another translated article: http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=ru&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Ftime-innov.ru%2Fpage%2Fjurnal%2F2012-7%2Frubric%2F25%2Farticle%2F123

The only video of this screen I could find: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSbRD9tNV30
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-30-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Looks like a BD, HCHP, or SilverStar type screen...no revolutionary new technology...
post #3 of 18 Old 10-30-2012, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Do they remove the pixel grid and rainbow effect too?
post #4 of 18 Old 10-31-2012, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post

Do they remove the pixel grid and rainbow effect too?

RBE is a function of the projector (mostly older or entry-level DLP projectors). It is not "removable". Either you see it or you don't. The degree to which one sees pixels depends on seating distance and image size relative to a projectors resolution. You can minimize awareness of pixels by detuning (i.e. adjusting sharpness), but that comes at the expense of detail. Neither RBE nor pixel grids can be removed by a screen material. Beware of huxterism...
post #5 of 18 Old 10-31-2012, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It seems you didn't read the artice. But trust me, I'm not a believer until I verify it myself.
post #6 of 18 Old 11-01-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post

It seems you didn't read the artice. But trust me, I'm not a believer until I verify it myself.

I read the article but it was full of mumbo-jumbo and didn't give any meaningful or substantive information relating to the chemistry of their surface material.
post #7 of 18 Old 11-02-2012, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Perhaps the translation is wrong, but over $7000 for a screen??
I would like to hear your feed back after you see it, and maybe you could also confirm pricing...
post #8 of 18 Old 11-06-2012, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm going to see it on 10th of November. Stay tuned for an extensive report with photos.
post #9 of 18 Old 11-14-2012, 05:41 PM

Liked: 21
we are waiting for your reports about this screen

good luck
post #10 of 18 Old 11-14-2012, 06:59 PM

Interpolating projection screen AERO 2600

post #11 of 18 Old 11-14-2012, 07:24 PM

and more pics here :

Traditional screen

Interpolation screen

Interpolation screens and 3D-speakers at "Karaoke"

more like BD screen PQ ( IMO )
but we never know unless we try it biggrin.gif
post #12 of 18 Old 11-16-2012, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry for the wait. I've seen it in person. Yep, it's all true eek.gif First, some photos.

Exterior (the photo in the post above actually shows better the texture, but my photo shows the reflection type - it does a great job at dealing with ambient lighting)
dsc7859.th.jpg

Black levels comparison against plain A4
dsc7861d.th.jpg

Interpolation in the works...
dsc7866i.th.jpg
iseye.th.jpg
islasers.th.jpg

Let me tell you guys, it may not look impressive in photos but the sensation of when you're standing 1 meter away from a 2 meter wide screen and not seeing any pixel structure is really refreshing.
The projector was Optoma GT750, by the way. The one with poor black levels and 2x color wheel, you know. The blacks were true blacks... I'm not even sure JVC could match that on a normal screen. And I didn't see any RBE either... (and I'm very susceptible to RBE, I can see it on BenQ W7000 in dynamic mode)
Ah, this rare moment when I feel lucky to live in Russia biggrin.gif
post #13 of 18 Old 11-16-2012, 04:12 PM

thanks a lot Elix for the feedback smile.gif

really amazing screen but with double price or more of .. let say BD or DNP screens
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAxhMflrQs8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da1MD-ync2U

with half the price ( DNP - BD ) you got rich black and high contras PQ - more like lcd panel look
its like comparing $500 screen with BD screen biggrin.gif

the second part of been 2 close to the screen ( pixel structure ) why in earth someone will stand 1-2 m close in front.. let say 100" ( my eyes will flick off )
we may need to stay close for 3D experience - but not that close !!!

the last part :
paying over $5k for a screen - will no way go for ( $1k range ) projector
so with $5K i can buy $2.5k projector ( may RBE not presented + rich black )
and $2.5k screen !!! ( waiting for 1080p laser projector or wait 4k coming up )
all am saying if they could bring their price down ( competitive )
it will be the screen to shoot
but its all meant for rich people ( even BD-DNP ) wink.gif

anyways its good to know how they got their hand in such a tech for a perfect screen - until its spreading around the world
lets hope it will come cheap one day tongue.gif

cheers smile.gif
post #14 of 18 Old 11-17-2012, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyy484 View Post

thanks a lot Elix for the feedback smile.gif
really amazing screen but with double price or more of .. let say BD or DNP screens
Where did you get this idea? BD and DNP is much more expensive (at least here in Russia). I'm sure when this screen will be ready to hit the US market the price will be competitive. But I think it's wrong to put other projector screens in the same league as this screen because it is something entirely different. It's something in between a projection surface and a direct-view panel... with unique properties I already stated.
post #15 of 18 Old 11-17-2012, 01:44 PM

1 Ruble Russia = 0.031564 Dollar United States
and
SPACE 2400 Interpolation screen Diagonal 108 "
is 240 000,00 rub
so 240 000,00 X 0.031564 = 7575.36 usd

Black Diamond Zero Edge 108"
is $3,499.99
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Screen+Innovations+-+Black+Diamond+Zero+Edge+108%22+Fixed+Projector+Screen/5599739.p?id=1218672098869&skuId=5599739

correct me if am wrong .....

and when its going to hit the US market !!!!

i know what your saying about the screen and all what its got ..
modern PJ got very less RBE as not to be seen ( i believe laser PJ - no RBE - high contrast ...etc )
so RBE no more a problem
and staying to close to the screen is not an option to be considered

all i can say we got almost like BD PQ as someone enjoying the screen with may better contrast on Interpolation screen from 8m distance for 108" screen
but with double price not double enjoyments.

so what sort of benefit we can get out of it with that price !!!!
post #16 of 18 Old 11-17-2012, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The screen I saw wasn't SPACE series, but AERO series. AERO 2300 (104") is 95000 RUR. You convert this to USD yourself.
If I were a Screen Innovations entrepreneur I'd be more cautious. You're trying very hard to make BD look more attractive even though you haven't seen the new screen and your only argument is price (obviously). This is beyond suspicious, this screams "I'm a sales guy". Let's look closely at your arguments (besides the price, I already responded to that).
Quote:

modern PJ got very less RBE as not to be seen ( i believe laser PJ - no RBE - high contrast ...etc )
so RBE no more a problem
First laser PJ (no LEDs) will be RED Laser Projector and it will be around $10000 without lens. People who saw the prototype model say the contrast was sub-par. Other few 1080p models of laser-LED projectors which're available now indeed have higher contrast than lamp-based but not enough to produce deepest blacks indiscernible from the blackness of the room. Even JVCs with their native 30000:1 contrast can't do that. As for RBE, it's dramatically less sure. Less enough not to be an issue for most people. But you still can see RBE on them if you try hard. Interpolating screen defeats RBE as a class. There's a big difference between that, in my opinion.
Quote:

and staying to close to the screen is not an option to be considered
For 3D you may want to sit as close to the screen as you can (90° FOV in 3D is a very immersive experience). But SDE (screen door effect) interferes with the enjoyment of seating too close on normal screens. And when you see pixels you can't be tricked that what you see isn't a computer image.
Quote:

all i can say we got almost like BD PQ
And how can you say that without seeing the thing?
Quote:

so what sort of benefit we can get out of it with that price !!!!
Well, let's see...
- you don't need an expensive projector because you don't need high speed color wheels or dynamic irises
- good-bye RBE
- no sparkling, no hot-spotting wink.gif
post #17 of 18 Old 11-17-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
The screen I saw wasn't SPACE series, but AERO series. AERO 2300 (104") is 95000 RUR. You convert this to USD yourself.
If I were a Screen Innovations entrepreneur I'd be more cautious. You're trying very hard to make BD look more attractive even though you haven't seen the new screen and your only argument is price (obviously). This is beyond suspicious, this screams "I'm a sales guy". Let's look closely at your arguments (besides the price, I already responded to that).
whats obvious is that you are the one screaming up about the product !!
not trying to understand that the price is a big factor to be considered for customers ..

i knew its a new innovation for the world wild
forget about PJ and screens
h,v you heard about sony 4k 84" LED
or what about Panasonic 145" 8K LED
Quote:
First laser PJ (no LEDs) will be RED Laser Projector and it will be around $10000 without lens. People who saw the prototype model say the contrast was sub-par. Other few 1080p models of laser-LED projectors which're available now indeed have higher contrast than lamp-based but not enough to produce deepest blacks indiscernible from the blackness of the room. Even JVCs with their native 30000:1 contrast can't do that. As for RBE, it's dramatically less sure. Less enough not to be an issue for most people. But you still can see RBE on them if you try hard. Interpolating screen defeats RBE as a class. There's a big difference between that, in my opinion.
RED will be out at the end of this month as stated on their web.
and RBE for next year ( new PJ ) will be vanished !!
so you are saying that BD does not produce a good black and low contrast ..
as i said before no ones buy $7k screen and play it with low end projector
if you can afford $7k for a screen you can afford +$10k projecter
or better go with Panasonic 145" 8K LED biggrin.gif
Quote:
For 3D you may want to sit as close to the screen as you can (90° FOV in 3D is a very immersive experience). But SDE (screen door effect) interferes with the enjoyment of seating too close on normal screens. And when you see pixels you can't be tricked that what you see isn't a computer image.
now we are talking about SPACE series not the lower one ( BD price vs ) wink.gif
Quote:
Well, let's see...
- you don't need an expensive projector because you don't need high speed color wheels or dynamic irises
- good-bye RBE
- no sparkling, no hot-spotting wink.gif
that's all points with arguments playing around and that's coool biggrin.gif

THANKS
post #18 of 18 Old 12-01-2012, 01:36 PM

Liked: 16
Judging by the fotos, I can't say pixel grid is eliminated completely, but it's drastically improved nevertheless.
Anyway, even if the prices are high, the technology itself is very impressve. And we can hope the prices will drop in near future (article says $500 in mass production).

The only thing not as good (as one would expect from active screen) is the contrast. I don't see its improved compared to white paper sheet. The picture just looks darker, both blacks and whites.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page