Screen Placement (compared to viewer, and speaker placement) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-01-2012, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I attached a diagram of my "proposed" set up.

1. Where "should" the bottom of the screen be compared to your eyes while seated?
2. Would you keep the screen high, and then put the speakers below it? I only have a 100" wall to put everything on. A hundred inch diagonal screen takes up 87" of that wall, so no room for speakers to the sides of the screen.
3. Instead of going lower than the screen with my towers and center, I "could" go with a acoustic transparent screen and put the speakers behind the screen. Would that be better? I'm concerned that I'll be sitting too close to the screen, and would be able to see the holes in the screen because of it.
4. How bad are in-wall speakers? Right now, I have an older Klipsch Synnergy set from ten years ago. Could I get in-wall speakers to do as well as those for cheap? (nope, I'm not an audiophile.)
5. Or, should I get some satellite fronts that fit in the skinny 6" spaces to the left and right of my screen?

Floorplan_2012 Layout4 (screen).pdf 12k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Floorplan_2012 Layout4 (screen).pdf (11.6 KB, 31 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-02-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiahm View Post

I attached a diagram of my "proposed" set up.
1. Where "should" the bottom of the screen be compared to your eyes while seated?
2. Would you keep the screen high, and then put the speakers below it? I only have a 100" wall to put everything on. A hundred inch diagonal screen takes up 87" of that wall, so no room for speakers to the sides of the screen.
3. Instead of going lower than the screen with my towers and center, I "could" go with a acoustic transparent screen and put the speakers behind the screen. Would that be better? I'm concerned that I'll be sitting too close to the screen, and would be able to see the holes in the screen because of it.
4. How bad are in-wall speakers? Right now, I have an older Klipsch Synnergy set from ten years ago. Could I get in-wall speakers to do as well as those for cheap? (nope, I'm not an audiophile.)
5. Or, should I get some satellite fronts that fit in the skinny 6" spaces to the left and right of my screen?
Floorplan_2012 Layout4 (screen).pdf 12k .pdf file

It's been a very long time since I posted at AVS, but I'll give you a starter.

1. It sounds dumb, but where it feels comfortable, and allows you to see the whole screen unobstructed when considering the seated position. For instance, if you used a recliner, and liked to go lean all the way back, with size 15 feet, you might need it a bit higher. I have heard the very general ballpark figure of eyes at 1/3 the height of screen going from the bottom, but that's too general. The easy way to do this? Fire it up on the wall without the screen, play around for a while, only using 16:9 material, then you'll know for sure.

2. No, I would not.

3. Yes, that would be better. You don't want a version with "holes", microperfed, because those require greater distance between speakers and screen, to help avoid comb filtering. You want a weave. It can be very, very cheap if you build one with say Seymour XD, or more with a prebuilt frame. However check out the Screen Excellence Enlightor 4K. It will be expensive, but you won't be able to tell at all that it's AT. Well, not until you get close to arm's length from it, or thereabouts. It won't be as bright, but that is not a terrible concern with the modest size screen you have IMO. The weaves like the ones mentioned above need something around the order of only 0.5" to 1.0" between speaker and screen, or thereabouts. OTOH, if you don't want to spend so much for perfectly invisibly texture, I sit closer than you do to my XD, and it's perfectly acceptable to me. I am coming from a previous solid screen using the same JVC PJ too, btw.

4. In wall speakers can be every bit as good as other types. I'm not familiar with your old speakers. The main drawback for you is that you typically pay more for the same performance, but OTOH, you can build your own for very affordable prices. I know that Zaph should have a design for in walls, at the least. Short answer: yes you can probably get the same or better quality for just as cheap if you're willing to build your own. Otherwise, maybe not.

5. If you want to, but it will probably sound like chit. I wouldn't shove a speaker in a corner like that if I were you. You're "not an audiophile", so it's your decision to make, but then, I guess you're still asking for a reason.

The above are my attempts at giving my personal answers to your queries. I now take the liberty to say that the first big improvement you could make to the HT experience, from the audio perspective, is to reorient it all lengthwise with the room. Many many benefits. Axial modal issues, then heads no longer up against the wall (you actually don't need several inches, it's more like several feet) where the muddying bass will overwhelm your midrange/HF, and your audio will be more balanced left/right as you don't have the significant SBIR of the left corner loaded speaker, etc. The left wall acting as reinforcing boundary, well I'm sure the issues you have with left speaker will be duplicated by left and/or left/rear surrounds as well. That's not even mentioning placement issues.

post #3 of 5 Old 11-03-2012, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the thoughtful answer! I have lots of new questions now but im only on my mobile, so im not going to peck them all out. For one, would an in wall speaker in that left corner act better than a normal speaker, or tge same?
post #4 of 5 Old 11-03-2012, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Good question. Someone else should really answer this, as in, someone who knows what the hell he is talking about.

My guess is that the inwall would be a tad bit better, as far as not requiring any rearward space (rear wall energy isn't compounding/multiplying the sidewall energy). It is like the concept of "infinite baffle", and therefore in wall speakers do not have BSC (baffle step compensation) designed into them, there isn't that need.

However, you still have that early, and extremely strong sidewall reflection. Would you be fine with a big mirror, adjacent to your display, making a right angle with it? Probably not. Is that an exaggeration? I don't know. But, you can pretty much bet that your left side will sound both louder, and different. You cool with that? You can help greatly reduce this issue with loading it with lots of broadband absorption, but YMMV.

Speaking of the possibly exaggerated analogy, every time you get a bright scene, fiery explosion, if that wall is light colored, it will brighten up every time. Even flat black paint will brighten up. It would be weird to use expensive telescope grade velvet on that wall I suppose, but even then, you may discern some reflection for how close it is, and how close you are, mebbe. Remember a projector is like an extremely high powered flashlight.

So- lengthwise orientation would not only balance your audio out much better, both lengthwise and side-to-side, but would likely improve the visuals too.

post #5 of 5 Old 11-05-2012, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

If I go long ways, I don't have anywhere to put the surrounds with that big opening into the kitchen on the right wall. Would you put them on the ceiling? Speaker stands aren't really an option, or at least one I want to use, for hte surrounds. Would the room be too long to put the surrounds on the back wall?

If I kept it on that short wall like originally planned, how about using a soundbar? Would that make the distance to the wall in the left corner better? I'm not real familiar with soundbars, but I understand that they have came a long way in recent years.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page