New Generation of DNP Supernova 23-23 introduced - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-08-2012, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I started a thread a while back reviewing the DNP Supernova.  I also included the Silverstar and Black Diamond screens.  Its linked below.  In that thread I stated I had some "banding issues".  These looked like 3 inch horizontal shadows going across the screen.  It was only visible in bright scenes with vertical movement.  Most of my friends don't notice it, but since I look at it almost everyday, I definitely noticed it.  I have the 23-23 material BTW.

Anyways, I had been in contact with DNP through my local dealer about it.  I thought I might have had a bad screen.  I also found another guy who was having the same problem.  So then I figured it was a bad batch.  I kept asking for a sample of the screen to see if the sample was doing it too.  I wanted a return to be my last option.  Unfortunately DNP doesn't have great customer service, so I've never received a sample to compare it to.

Well, my local dealer sent me a press release yesterday.  It looks as though this is a company wide problem.  In the press release it states the new generation HG material eliminates banding issues and improves brightness uniformity.  It will replace the 23-23 material introduced in 2010.  I've never had a problem with the uniformness, but it looks like the banding issue has been brought up to them repeatedly.  I think Ill be getting a replacement free of charge since this has been going on since I received the screen.  My dealer sent them my invoice so I will keep you guys updated.

For the record, other than that, it's a beautiful screen.  I think now that this banding issue is resolved, it will be as close to "perfect" as you can get.

Attachments and link in next post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-08-2012, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

I can't seem to attach a saved picture for the press release. The URL isn't working either. I'll try again later since I'm on mobile.

This is the text that came with the press release:

The new next generation high-gain material will be available immediately on selected products, beginning with Supernova One, Supernova Infinity and Supernova Blade.Replacing the 23-23 material that was introduced in 2010, Supernova HG offers improved brightness uniformity, and eliminates banding issues. With an on-axis peak gain of 2.3, the new HG Optical material also performs extraordinarily well in high ambient light environments, with uniform picture quality and ultra-high contrast.We actually introduced a prototype HG screen at CEDIA in the dnp exhibit and the Sim2 exhibit. The response has been overwhelming. The new Supernova HG is the perfect compliment for LED and low lumen output projectors.

My earlier review:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1378510/dnp-supernova-2-3-gain-vs-bd-g3-2-7-1-4-vutec-silverstar-a-review
post #3 of 8 Old 12-15-2012, 08:25 PM

I am embarking on a quest for a screen with 2.35 AR with some form of gain since it is going to be around 140" diagonal. Will be pairing it with JVC 4810.
Demoed a black diamond 1.4 gen3 and was distracted by the sheen/sparklies on bright scenes. Also got a chance to look at the Supernova 08-85 and the picture was very very good; wasn't bothered by any screen texture/hotspotting etc. However for my screen size, the 08-85 material would not work. Thus, i am looking in the same DNP family and hoping the 23-23 would present a viable option. My local dealer doesn't have a demo screen for the 23-23.

That's when i saw your post. Did you actually get a replacement for your first-generation (banding issues) 23-23? Wondering if there are any noticeable texture sheen/hotspotting for the 23-23 material? In comparison to the 08-85, is it a big tradeoff in contrast and black levels? Appreciate help on this. thanks!!
post #4 of 8 Old 12-22-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Q. are the DNP screens ALL built on a solid core ?

I saw a sample of the (old) 23-23 and it was on a solid panel/core

- Andy
post #5 of 8 Old 01-09-2013, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I´ve read the 23-23 has a bit of sparklies.. will the new material be better??

How is the 23-23 as far as hotspotting goes? Any minimum throw recomended?

Birgir "keyser"
post #6 of 8 Old 01-15-2013, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post

I´ve read the 23-23 has a bit of sparklies.. will the new material be better??

How is the 23-23 as far as hotspotting goes? Any minimum throw recomended?

I'm curious as well.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-15-2013, 06:04 PM

i agree it,The new Supernova HG is the perfect compliment for LED and low lumen output projectors.thank you 1.gif
post #8 of 8 Old 01-23-2013, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParanoidDroid View Post

I started a thread a while back reviewing the DNP Supernova.  I also included the Silverstar and Black Diamond screens.  Its linked below.  In that thread I stated I had some "banding issues".  These looked like 3 inch horizontal shadows going across the screen.  It was only visible in bright scenes with vertical movement.  Most of my friends don't notice it, but since I look at it almost everyday, I definitely noticed it.  I have the 23-23 material BTW.

Anyways, I had been in contact with DNP through my local dealer about it.  I thought I might have had a bad screen.  I also found another guy who was having the same problem.  So then I figured it was a bad batch.  I kept asking for a sample of the screen to see if the sample was doing it too.  I wanted a return to be my last option.  Unfortunately DNP doesn't have great customer service, so I've never received a sample to compare it to.

Well, my local dealer sent me a press release yesterday.  It looks as though this is a company wide problem.  In the press release it states the new generation HG material eliminates banding issues and improves brightness uniformity.  It will replace the 23-23 material introduced in 2010.  I've never had a problem with the uniformness, but it looks like the banding issue has been brought up to them repeatedly.  I think Ill be getting a replacement free of charge since this has been going on since I received the screen.  My dealer sent them my invoice so I will keep you guys updated.

For the record, other than that, it's a beautiful screen.  I think now that this banding issue is resolved, it will be as close to "perfect" as you can get.

Attachments and link in next post.

Any updates? I'm curious about DNP but don't have a display anywhere near me.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page