Choosing Screen Material - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-09-2012, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased my first projector... an Epson 705hd. I'm going to attempt to build my own screen. I've been looking online at different screen materials and am wondering if anybody has any experience with either of the following:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140750634812?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330752601351?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

My screen will be approximately 110" with seating about 12'-13' away. My room is fairly well light controlled, however, the walls and ceiling are light colored. Does anybody have any thoughts on what would provide the better picture? Please feel free to suggest any other low-cost solutions if you have any. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-16-2012, 12:50 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
You need screen gain for that application. Look at a Stewart StudioTek 130 or a DaLite High Power or a DIY gain material.

W. Jeff Meier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 Old 11-16-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by brhaugen View Post

My screen will be approximately 110" with seating about 12'-13' away. My room is fairly well light controlled, however, the walls and ceiling are light colored. Does anybody have any thoughts on what would provide the better picture?
Paint the walls and ceiling a minimum of 5' from the screen a dark color. Visit the DIY screen sub forum for low cost DIY solutions.

Doug

post #4 of 4 Old 11-26-2012, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Draper has a pretty good screen surface selection tool. It might help you figure out the qualities of the material you want. You've linked to two materials that are probably 1.0 gain at best (not sure about BOC).

http://www.draperinc.com/ProjectionScreens/SurfaceSelector.asp
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page