Love my new 2.4 gain High Power Screen!!! Mini review. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-09-2012, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
So I’ve had a 106” Da-lite High Contrast Matte White (HCMW) screen for going on three+ years now. The gain is listed at 1.1, but my measurements place it more at 0.9, so negative gain. Sure, it helped the black level, but also hurt my brightness, but I’ve been pretty happy with it for years. I originally purchased the HCMW for a couple of reasons. 1) It was a “grey screen” and I was very concerned about maintaining a low black level. 2) It has a very wide viewing angle. However, I have found that the more I do calibrations, I tend to favor higher brightness, even if it means a raised black level. I have an Epson 1080UB projector, which has a decent native contrast, but not stellar. (I turned off the dynamic iris long ago because I could notice it working and it distracted me some.)

Anyway, I’ve had an original 2.8 gain high power screen sample lying around for a while now, and every time I placed it over my HCMW screen, it was just SO much brighter. So finally I decided, what the heck, and decided to order the current 106” Da-lite 2.4 High Power screen. I’m so glad I did.

WOW! I was concerned about the smaller viewing angle, but shouldn’t have been. Even standing outside the screen area, this thing is just as bright as my HCMW screen. Within the screen area, there is a VERY noticeable improvement in brightness (which should be expected I guess. smile.gif ).

My projector is mounted on the wall behind me, 20 feet from the screen, so I have a very long throw which causes a loss of brightness from the projector. My viewing angle ends up being about 12 degrees off axis from the “optimal” maximum gain. (see attached drawing of my layout) By my lux measurements, if I lowered my projector as much as possible (before the shadow of my head enters the picture area), I would gain about 20% more brightness. However, as is, it’s still PLENTY of gain. If I move my head from side to side, I don’t notice a brightness change. I was worried about that with such a high gain screen, but this thing has a large enough viewing angle that it’s not an issue.

I don’t notice any screen texture from where I sit, 13’ back, even though you can see some on close inspection of the material. The screen is also uniform. I don’t notice any screen artifacts, but I’ve only had it for one evening now. I do notice less light spilling onto my side walls and ceiling, since more of it is being directed back at the light source rather than being scattered with my old screen. So the only negative for me has been the raised black level. This is something that I can live with. The brightness and other aspects much outweigh that negative for me. …and, when I upgrade to a new projector with much better native contrast (…cough, cough, JVC), that black level will be much improved.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-09-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Welcome to the Fan base!
Calibration tip
Place your meter so it is at the exact same angle and height as your eye in your view position. The screen does produce a red shift and the father off axis you are the worse it gets. The 2.4 is much less than the 2.8 that I have. My projector is table mounted so I place the meter just over top and behind the projector for max light output. You may want to try placing the meter just in front of the lens and below it as well. This gives you the most accurate cal but will not compensate for any red push. Also not sure what the light output will be 20' back.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-09-2012, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yep, you can add me to the fan club. smile.gif

Thanks for the tip. I have an i1pro meter, which is great for accurate readings as long as there is enough light output. The problem is, if I place the meter as far back as you mention (my projector is 20 feet from the screen), my light output readings at lower IRE greyscale windows will not be high enough to get an accurate reading. The i1pro needs about 1 lumen for a good reading, and it's fairly easy to go below that on some test patterns. Based on your comments, I'll mount mine on a tripod and will place it closer to the screen, but at the same angle as my eyes would normally be. I typically have mounted my meter about 3 feet back from the screen.

I did notice the red shift you mention when I looked from far off axis. It mainly showed up on the side and corners of the screen. Fortunately where I sit, I'm close enough (12 degrees) to being on axis to not see the red shift. I think I might lower my projector tonight to help even further get me into the optimal viewing cone.

Dan
post #4 of 6 Old 11-09-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 111
One other thing you can do, depending on how it is mounted.. move it to a table close to the screen to reduce the size of the image increasing you light output drastically. Your meter would placed just over the projector level with the top would be looking right down the barrel so to speak.. but that may not be possible if you have it actually mounted..
Good luck and play with it..
Oh, another trick I have used in the past with the 2.8 with the meter up closer to the screen is to display a 100% pattern and do a constant read of gray scale. Watch the red and tilt the meter up/down left / right.. with the 2.8 the red will drop significantly to it's lowest as you approach on axis viewing.
Not sure the 2.4 shifts anywhere near as much as 2.8

I have noticed that the using the last method did a fair job, but I always had some red in the middle syms with a gray scale ramp. The down the throat approach gave a much better result... again you are not using the 2.8 and the screen is made somewhat differently.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-14-2012, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
If 106" wows you, you ought to try 159". It's Imax at home with my Optoma HD3300. I love this screen--do not see any red shift or texture. Projector mounted about 19 feet from the screen, and I sit about 18 feet from the screen. The 3D is perfect at that distance, and brightness is maximized.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-16-2012, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I'll most likely go bigger when I build my dedicated theater. For now, 106" works great.

Right now, the theater is a media room of sorts. I wasn't sure if the HP would work for me, and I wasn't sure I would like it. At 106", the investment ($260 brand new, delivered) was small enough that I didn't mind risking the cost. Once you move up to a 120", not to mention 159", the price easily doubled.

As an update, I've spent enough time with the screen now to know that it was the right choice. Way more bright, no red tinge, plenty of viewing angle for our setup. it's significantly better than my old screen in every way except black level (but as they say, you can't have it all smile.gif )

Dan
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page