Foot Lambert question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-11-2012, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My theater room is is approx 14'W & 24' deep. my ceilings are 9'. I have always dreamed of having a dedicated theater room, and I am now building that. The room is in a basement, so ambient light not an issue though the basement is a lookout and there is a window on the side wall in the back (main seating area is at 16' from projected false wall) that will have black out shades when needed. My issue is with the calculator at projectorcentral.com. Seems that anything I do is pretty much insufficient in terms of wanting to do a AT screen. I had my heart set on the Enlightor 4K screen in either 1:78 or 2:35 (still deciding. 2:35 only using zoom function for now). I want the Sony HW50ES. Problem is, at 1.0 gain (and I know this is MAX) and within the minimum throw range, I only measure at 13fl for 120" wide 2:35 (as an example). My wall is 168" wide. So this is telling me I can't even do 120". At recommended 16fl I am not even close, and even 16 fl minimum considering half life of those lamps.

The sony is extremely highly rated, as you all probably know, in that price range. What is everyone else out there doing to get these large screen sizes and getting adequate foot lamberts? Someone told me that 120" is too large given the price group I am with my projector. OK, so I tried the $12,000 JVC and no difference.

any insight would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-15-2012, 09:37 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
You need to look at a DLP machine with that size screen, projector price and AT. The Enlightor 4K is also a very dim material and a poor choice for a low end projector. Modest cost LCOS and LCD machines when set to good color do not output enough light with a large low gain screen to hit anything close to SMPTE light levels.

You might want to look at my screen material test report for info on installed screen gains which tend to be less than claimed. I see many dim theaters. The larger the screen and the lower the screen gain the more likely you will hit this.

W. Jeff Meier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 Old 11-21-2012, 05:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 417
All of the reviewers are getting 1,300 or more lumens from the Sony HW50ES in best image mode, short throw. To get the lumens that you need, if wanting bright 3D with that size screen, you are going to have to step up to a 3 chip DLP machine.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page