AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Screens (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/)
-   -   Anyone have experience w/ the Vutec Silverstar or Draper Contrast Radiant? (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/1438860-anyone-have-experience-w-vutec-silverstar-draper-contrast-radiant.html)

biliam1982 11-12-2012 01:08 PM

Looking for some help w/ high gain screens. My dealer has access to Draper and Vutec. He can also get Stewart but I know they're a lot more and I don't know if they have any high gain screens that would fit my needs.

Right now I can control 90% of the light in my living room. I move a lot so I want a good all around screen because I never know what type of room I'll be able to put it in. I figure a high gain screen (maybe gray based) would help w/ 3D brightness, light reflections of the wall (in case the room is light colored walls) and ambient light pollution.

I see the Vutec Silverstar might be good w/ a 6.0 gain rating (though most discussions on this screen says it's actually closer to 3) and a gray base. I also see they have the PearlBrite but haven't read to much about it.

Draper has the Contrast Radiant and non gray base version, the Radiant. Also the Glass beaded material but haven't read anything about that one.

I know these high gain screens have a smaller viewing cone, but I like a bright image, and if my guests don't, then they can sit on the outer seats that won't be as bright.

I plan on getting either the new Epson 6020 or Sony HW50. I'm looking at a screen height around 60" in scope format.

Anybody have experience with these screens or might be able to comment on how they would look paired w/ either of those projectors?

Thanks a lot!

ParanoidDroid 11-12-2012 02:51 PM

I don't have one but got hold of a sample of the vutec. It had a noticeable sheen to it. I can't comment on the draper though. Look for my review on the dnp, bd and vutec.

biliam1982 11-14-2012 10:10 AM

Yea, I remember reading that. What did you think of the blacks on the Vutec? How about it handling ambient light and viewing angles?

ParanoidDroid 11-16-2012 02:04 PM

Viewing angle was excellent and good black levels. The sheen was noticeable. I would look at the DNP if the prices are close.

biliam1982 11-20-2012 04:41 AM

Thanks for the help but I found out the Vutec Silverstar is a rigid screen and I need something that's retractable. So I need to look at other options. mad.gif

Pete 11-20-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post

Thanks for the help but I found out the Vutec Silverstar is a rigid screen and I need something that's retractable. So I need to look at other options. mad.gif

Vutec PearlBrite is a flexible material with a gain of 3.

biliam1982 11-21-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Vutec PearlBrite is a flexible material with a gain of 3.

Pete, thanks for the suggestion. Looking at some of the threads for when it first came out, it had issues w/ stretching. But that may have been fixed w/ a later manufacturing run, IDK. I just don't think it will work with my room conditions.

Screen Saver 11-26-2012 08:10 AM

I saw the Draper Radiant and Contrast Radiant under projection at CEDIA. If you are looking for a really bright, immersive image, you might like it. I didn't see any hot spotting, etc.

The screen in the booth had both surfaces seamed together with matt white in the middle, and the Radiant materials stayed brighter than the matt white until you walked pretty far off axis. Black was better on the Contrast Radiant than on Radiant. Contrast Radiant is light gray, not a dark gray like Silverstar.