newbie - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-13-2012, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i bought my first projector the other day. it is a nec np100. i know it is a little out dated but i payed a 100 bucks for it working. i built a frame for a screen and bought some material that i thought would work. it looks ok but i have done some research now and realize it si completely the wrong material. so now i would like to buy a material that would give me a better picture. i have been considering blackout cloth but i was w sell the material so i can put it on my own frame ondering if it would be worth buying a better material made for projectors. i have seen a few companies that sell the material so i can put it on my own frame. anyone have any input on a good material for someone on a tight budget or should i just stick with the blackout cloth. i dont want to spend over about a hundred bucks on the cloth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-13-2012, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
You need to post this one forum down in the DIY Screen Section.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-13-2012, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

i would but after reading they only offer ways to use non conventional materials. someone asked a question similar to this. i am willing to use material made for projectors but i am asking if the best bet for 100 bucks would be to use blackout cloth or is there a screen i can buy and stretch myself that would give a better picture.
post #4 of 9 Old 11-14-2012, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 107
how big is the frame you built? What did you buy to start with (post a link)
What aspect of the image with the current screen is unacceptable?
Are you willing to attempt a DIY paint option?
post #5 of 9 Old 11-14-2012, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

i use it in 16:9 even though the current screen size is a little off. current size is 5'x7' or 60x84. the current material i am unsure of it has a high shine to it but the light passes through it rsther easily. no i dont want to do paint on. i might upstairs maybe but thats why i built the frame so i can move it from room to room easily.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-14-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Well you could paint your current screen fabric...
post #7 of 9 Old 11-14-2012, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

and painting this pourus see through fabric will give me a better picture than blackout cloth or any other cloth that people use for there projectors.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-14-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Most people that visit the DIY forum will eventually end up painting the blackout cloth or so it seemed when I followed that forum..
At this point if you are committed to projection you might want to consider a low end manufactures fixed frame screen that is true 16:9 and ready to use. You will typically replace your projector more often than the screen. If you want to keep going DIY then BOC will be fine.
I would also expect you will want to upgrade the projector before long as well.. I went the same route you are taking.. got an old projector.. made a screen.. upgraded the projector to another better used model.. bought a used screen.. upgraded the projector, bought a high quality screen.. at this point am happy with 720P and Dalite HP screen.. no need to upgrade yet.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-14-2012, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

yea im kinda broke and i have my eyes set on a epson 3d projector but cant afford it at this moment. i know eventually i will have to get another screen but im hoping to find something that will look pretty good with this cheap projector. i was trying to find a nice used 1080p for a good price but i went to a flea market and a guy sold me this one working plus 2 more that need bulbs for a 100 so i figured what the hell. it looks ok but i think with a better or real screen it would look really good. or really good for a 100 projector. i have about 40-50 in the screen now and i found a place for the boc for 30. just didnt know if i could get an actual piece of screen material that would look better than boc for a hundred or less.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page