Looking for good , cheap 100-106" motorised screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-16-2012, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First projector setup so need some help please.

Will be more than likely getting an Optoma HD33 and want a good, cheap motorised 100-106" screen.
Wondering weather to get normal or high gain screen?

Was reading that the glass bead tech can have issues, also some of the cheaper matt screens can have ripples etc.

The room it is in has white painted walls and flat wooden ceiling, and wooden floor. Might need to repaint?? Maybe dark red, matt finish?
It's pretty much a box smile.gif

There is a glass double door at the other end of the room behind where the PJ will be, which is covered by curtains.

There are 2 windows. The screen will cover one window(almost-as the window is off center in the room there will be a bit of the window extruding past the right hand side of the screen) and the other is to the right hand side.

I have venetian blinds, but was also thinking about getting blackout rollerblinds to go over them.

The area it will be in is 9 feet by 10 feet roughly, and ceiling is around 81 1/2 inches high, so just under 7 feet.

PJ will be ceiling mounted.

Seating position will be about 9 feet from screen.

The room itself is roughly 9 feet x 20 feet, but can only use the smaller part for the cinema area.

I was looking at some ones on amazon.co.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duronic-EPS106-169-Projector-Screen/dp/B005199TSE/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1353112603&sr=1-13

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PCW106ME-Projector-Screen-Matte-White/dp/B001KMYLR0/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1353115106&sr=1-7

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PCW106GE-Projector-Screen-Glass-Beaded/dp/B0026RO1OG/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1353115106&sr=1-3

Can't really afford to go more than €200 on it as funds will be drained buying the PJ and glasses.

Any suggestions?

Maybe if I could get a non motorised one that is much better in that price range I would consider that. At the end of the day it's about the best quality for the price, even if I do have to stand up to pull it down smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-18-2012, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone have any experience with the optoma panoview manual pulldown screens, or the cheaper elite ones?
Was wondering if the optoma ones are better screen material, as some folks mentioned that the elite ones look kind of grainy.

I know that pull down is not the best, especially if not tab tensioned, but due to where it is being placed I can't have a fixed screen unfortunately, and can't afford a better tab tensioned one.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-19-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusarilliuS View Post

Anyone have any experience with the optoma panoview manual pulldown screens, or the cheaper elite ones?
Was wondering if the optoma ones are better screen material, as some folks mentioned that the elite ones look kind of grainy.
I know that pull down is not the best, especially if not tab tensioned, but due to where it is being placed I can't have a fixed screen unfortunately, and can't afford a better tab tensioned one.

Here's my screen experience. I was looking for a temporary screen to use until our basement is finished. I ordered an Elite M100XWH manual pull down from Amazon. The first screen arrived broken. I hung the housing, and when I let go to pull the screen out of the housing, the entire screen fell out. They sent a replacement, and on that one, the end of the box was missing, and the screen slid right out of the box.

Aside from those issues, don't expect much from one of those cheap screens. The material is just thin PVC. Even for $95.00, I was disappointed. Unfortunately, it's hard to know what's good until you see one for yourself. I was lucky, and found a better Knoll screen at a local dealer.

I would try the SRM-Pro series instead, if it's available to you. It shows that the screen material is fiberglass backed. I would assume this is a higher quality product.

Thanks,
Shawn
post #4 of 4 Old 11-19-2012, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Shawn.

Can't seem to find the SRM-Pro in my part of the world.

Interested to see if anyone here has tried the panovision by optoma as I can get that one in Ireland.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page