What are your thoughts on the Elitech 120" 16:9 High Contrast Grey? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-21-2012, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UGOV1Y/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

The price seems almost too good to be true. The only information that came up in a search on AVS was this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-03-2012, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I went ahead and purchased the screen and installed it last week.

From my weekend long ownership of the screen, I am very satisfied with the purchase. This is an definitely an excellent screen at an excellent price. From experience, this screen looks better than the 120" matte white Favi screen my buddy has, and without all the wrinkles. The motor in the screen is pretty quiet but the wireless remote is cheaply made and very clicky, I just use the wired button that is mounted to the wall. The screen comes with no hardware for install but it comes with 4 mounting holes unlike the two found on the Favi.

The screen fits the 16:9 ratio of my Epson 8350 perfectly with no black canvas overlap. I used a peerless mount for precision control of the display position.

I just figured I would share my experience with others.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-06-2012, 11:56 PM

Liked: 12
How was the packaging? Some things go through hell by the time ups/fedex deliver them.
post #4 of 11 Old 12-07-2012, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

Ah yes... I forgot to mention that. Elitech didn't mess around.

The packaging was more than capable of dealing with those package-abusive UPS guys.

It came inside a long cardboard box with these thick reinforced cardboard corner protectors on all four lengthy sides. The pieces were secured to the corners with about six of those plastic lumber ties running down the length of the box. Each end of the box even had a cardboard cap that was heavily taped on to prevent damage to the corners.

Once I removed those layers there was a 3/4" walled box directly around the projector screen made entirely of honeycomb corrugated cardboard. Once I cut the tape that kept it wrapped around the screen I was able to safely remove the screen. The screen itself was secured inside of its permanent aluminum housing with a unique plastic clip to keep the screen from falling out (required a quick 5 second removal process,).

Even the corrugated cardboard did not crush under my weight when I walked over it back and forth to the garage, and I'm 205lbs. (am I the only one who enjoys that feeling when you step on cardboard?)

Anyway, long story short, this thing could survive pretty much everything UPS could throw at it.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-07-2012, 10:13 AM

Liked: 26
Are the wires coming out of the top or side of the unit, on the website no pictures of this? Interested in pictures of your mount if possible, I'm thinking of buying his screen, also on the website the link for contact us info never can pull up, always an error. Thanks
post #6 of 11 Old 12-07-2012, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

The wires come out of the side.

My mounting setup is pretty ghetto but definitely capable of keeping my screen from falling in the event of an earthquake. My house was built in 1927 out of redwood and the beams are exactly 2in wide in my attic. The mounting holes on the top of the projector are slightly less than 2" apart so I wasn't quite comfortable with just screwing it in with the possibility of missing the beam. My solution was to take some small 1.5"x4" boards on both sides and use two 3" screws parallel, into the beam. I then mounted the projector into the fresh 1.5"x4" so it is super sturdy.

I can take some pics this weekend if need be.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-07-2012, 06:00 PM

Thanks, no need for photos, I appreciate your time.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-08-2012, 10:40 AM

Interested also if you have time the measurement from the top of the screen to your ceiling, how many inches, sound like to almost flush mounted it. Thanks
post #9 of 11 Old 12-12-2012, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

From the top of the aluminum housing to the ceiling is about 1.5" since it is mounted in two pieces of wood. It's pretty close to flush.

It has the ability to be flush mounted in a corner (4 screws into the ceiling and 4 more into the wall) if your house is designed properly. My house has this old spanish style with these thick wooden borders around the windows. As such, I have blinds that overlap those in order to cover the windows. My blinds probably stick out about 4 inches from the wall so my projector had to be mounted on the closest 2x4 beam in the attic. My screen is about 12" from the outside wall because that was the closest 2x4.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-16-2013, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to bump this thread and give my 4 month report.

The screen is still nothing short amazing especially for the price I paid. I use it roughly once a day down and up without fail.

I was able to program the sensor into my Harmony One really easily and it hasn't given me any troubles since.

Watching movies, tv series, and PS3 games has been a delight and the blacks are nice and deep.

I have only only ever had one issue since owning it:
The game Journey on the PS3 is entirely too bright and allows me to see the flecks in the screen. Basically, if a dream sequence uses a ton of white I can see all sorts of little flecks in the screen and a slight dither from the manufacturing of the screen.

The issue is not present if the scene is a feint grey or blue.

I would like to stress that this is a very very minor issue and very rarely do I notice it.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-24-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lfk1ng View Post

Just wanted to bump this thread and give my 4 month report.

The screen is still nothing short amazing especially for the price I paid. I use it roughly once a day down and up without fail.

I was able to program the sensor into my Harmony One really easily and it hasn't given me any troubles since.

Watching movies, tv series, and PS3 games has been a delight and the blacks are nice and deep.

I have only only ever had one issue since owning it:
The game Journey on the PS3 is entirely too bright and allows me to see the flecks in the screen. Basically, if a dream sequence uses a ton of white I can see all sorts of little flecks in the screen and a slight dither from the manufacturing of the screen.

The issue is not present if the scene is a feint grey or blue.

I would like to stress that this is a very very minor issue and very rarely do I notice it.

Thanks for the review and update. I am looking at this screen myself. Are you still happy with it? I am surprised that bright scenes will effect it so much with it being grey. Does it have a wide viewing angle? How does it do with ambient light? This part is particularly important to me since I will be placing it in my living room which will not be an ideal location due to wall and ceiling color being light grey/beige in color (It is the darkest my wife would let me go), along with widows and open doorways. My new projector's image (BenQ W1070) looked pretty good last evening against the wall without a screen last eveining and I am hoping to get a screen that would give me as good as or better image quality than that against my wall
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page