Quick question about mounting a fixed frame screen on wall... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-21-2012, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I built my 120" Elite Sable screen tonight (which looks freaking awesome BTW) and I'm at the part where I mount it on the wall.

However I'm a tad confused because the instructions are kind of vague about everything.

It says to mount the bracket to studs, however, the bracket looks like this:

It's the bottom bracket there.

Now the problem is, it has 2 long holes on it and you are supposed to mount 2 screws to each mount. However, both screws will not fit onto 1 stud. So I'm confused by that.

Additionally it came with 4 of those plastic things you can hammer into dry wall, and then screw a screw into. Is that okay to use without a stud for this screen?

And it also says "drill a pilot hole for the size screw you have" but the problem is I don't know exactly what screw I have, since they didn't tell me in the package.

Any advice? Would like to hopefully get this up tonight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm actually now thinking the anchors + screws will hold it just fine since it is only 30lbs. Can anyone confirm it should be fine?

There will be 2 screws/anchors on each of the mounts, so each mount would each be bearing about 15lbs a piece I think.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Okay so I got the brackets mounted, but I'm having the toughest time getting it to hook onto the brackets. There has to be something stupid that I am doing or missing. I put the screen up and set it down onto the brackets, but it isn't "hooking" and it isn't falling into the little groove that it is supposed to. I tried like 3 different times for like 5 minutes each with my wife helping me, and I could not get it figured out.

I'm gonna try to get it up again tomorrow, but did anyone else have this problem when trying to mount it to the wall? It's really frustrating, I just want to see what a movie looks like on the screen so bad!
Old 11-22-2012, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14

Don't take this the wrong way, but did you mount the french cleat wall bracket the correct way?

The space or opening should be on the top, away from the wall.

Make sure the frame is flat against the wall as you slide it down. If you are angling it out at the bottom, it makes it harder to grab the wall bracket.

Either that, or one of the brackets is screwed in too tightly.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDUpstate View Post

Don't take this the wrong way, but did you mount the french cleat wall bracket the correct way?
The space or opening should be on the top, away from the wall.
Make sure the frame is flat against the wall as you slide it down. If you are angling it out at the bottom, it makes it harder to grab the wall bracket.
Either that, or one of the brackets is screwed in too tightly.

Yea they are in the correct way, with the opening facing up. It seems like it should just drop right in but it just is not catching on either of them.

I will try giving them a loosening and seeing if that fixes anything, thanks.

And just to make this totally clear, the frame itself is what catches on the bracket, correct? Like the little edge of the frame that fits perfectly into the mount?
Old 11-22-2012, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Problem solved ... the freaking wall wasn't flat there so I moved it over one stud and worked like a charm. Bro in law helped me out tonight and we figured it out pretty quick.

Now I just need my speakers and figure out how to wire it and I'll be good to go!
Old 12-03-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast View Post

Problem solved ... the freaking wall wasn't flat there so I moved it over one stud and worked like a charm. Bro in law helped me out tonight and we figured it out pretty quick.

Now I just need my speakers and figure out how to wire it and I'll be good to go!

Pretty cool!

Do you mind to post some pics projecting 16:9 and 2:35.1 material?

I'm still not sure how visible the black bars on the 2:35.1 source are projected on the screen and how annoying they can be.

Thanks in advance and congrats on the progress made in your room!
Old 12-03-2012, 06:53 PM

Liked: 10
Very nice! The contrast between the wall and the screen looks great!

I purchased the same screen myself. Haven't installed it yet.

I am trying to figure out how high to install the screen. I see that you have it almost at the ceiling. How far down from the ceiling is the top of the screen?

Thanks,

nb
Old 12-04-2012, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sorry for the blurriness, these were taken in the dark with my phone so not the best quality, but it gets the point across. Had these on my phone already.

As far as height from the ceiling, the top of the screen is about 3 inches from the ceiling. 24 inches from the bottom to the ground.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry for the blurriness, these were taken in the dark with my phone so not the best quality, but it gets the point across. Had these on my phone already.

As far as height from the ceiling, the top of the screen is about 3 inches from the ceiling. 24 inches from the bottom to the ground.

Thanks for taking the time on taking the pics and sharing them. They look good to me from what I was expecting to see.

I'm glad to notice the black bars (top/bottom) on Brave are not so evident/distracting compared to the full 16:9 material. Of course, I'm taking in consideration these are pics from a phone, but nonetheless the screen looks really nice.

In theory mine should arrive tomorrow...........I can't wait!!!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No problem.

I'm definitely not bothered/distracted by the bars on 2.35:1 material. It may be because I've been used to watching movies on TV for so long with them. But you definitely can at least make out the bars down there.

I saw some 16:9 content on a 2.35:1 screen and I was MUCH more bothered by the side bars. In my mind it was playing a trick on me that made me feel as though the image was being squished. The guy who's stuff I was demo'ing even said if he had to do it over again, he would go 16:9. Although, scope movies look awesome when the screen is filled!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Looks good PB...glad to see you got your screen up and running! Congrats on your purchase cr136124! PB...I was in the same boat. I decided to go big on the 16:9, so the 2:35 wouldn't bother me.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No problem.
I'm definitely not bothered/distracted by the bars on 2.35:1 material. It may be because I've been used to watching movies on TV for so long with them. But you definitely can at least make out the bars down there.
I saw some 16:9 content on a 2.35:1 screen and I was MUCH more bothered by the side bars. In my mind it was playing a trick on me that made me feel as though the image was being squished. The guy who's stuff I was demo'ing even said if he had to do it over again, he would go 16:9. Although, scope movies look awesome when the screen is filled!

Mind tricks, I guess that is the key here. I have years of upgrading TV's from my very first top notch 19" TV (first job's purchase), to all the way to a 51" Plasma 3D TV. I am mentally prepared to deal with the black bars top/bottom on 2.35:1 content.

However, I am way too sensitive to black bars on the right/left of the screen. You can still see this issue while watching HDTV and then switching to a 4:3 programming. It just brings really bad memories..........LOL.

So, once again thanks for re-assuring that my 16:9 screen is the right choice at this moment.

Oh, one more question (sorry) how tall is the wall in which you mounted the screen?
Old 12-04-2012, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The wall is something like 87" tall or so. The screen is just under 60" tall, with 24" on the bottom, and 3" above.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:

No problem.

The Elite SableFrame has been around for a few years and is still an excellent bargain. My niece recently installed the 120" CineWhite version and is quite happy with it.

For film purists the 2:35 aspect ratio is the way to go but for most other movie/sports enthusiasts 16:9 is the more ideal compromise. Football games are a prime example, if one wants to immerse one's self in the game 16:9 is the only way to go. I agree with everyone who say black bars on the sides are more distracting that the bars on the top and bottom, after all of these years of seeing films projected this way it just seems more natural. And once the film gets underway I rarely take time to note the top and bottom bars are there especially if the black levels in the movie are decent.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Old 12-04-2012, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Which projector do you use?
Old 12-04-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by cemo62 View Post

If you're referring to my post, my niece uses the Panasonic AR100U projector (which I also own) as part of her new home theater installation.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Old 12-04-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The wall is something like 87" tall or so. The screen is just under 60" tall, with 24" on the bottom, and 3" above.

Great!

My wall is 104" tall, so I shouldn't have any issue installing this screen. That is even taking in consideration that my AV console is 28" inch tall.

However, currently I have my center channel speaker sat on top of the AV console. So, it seems I'll have to re-arrange my gear, in order to make room to install the speaker inside the console.

Fun times man, fun times!
Old 12-04-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:

Old 12-04-2012, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemo62 View Post

It's the Panasonic 8000AE.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:

It's the Panasonic 8000AE.

When I look at the black bars it seems it has not good in black performance. Is it right or is it because of the your photograph camera?

sorry for my english
Old 12-17-2012, 09:32 PM

Liked: 11
Whats your throw distance on your setup? Looking to take the plunge.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Throw is about 15-16 feet.

And about the blacks, the blacks on this are just okay, definitely not the best. I have a plasma TV upstairs in the living room so I'm used to basically the best blacks you possibly can get.

I haven't done any calibration to it yet though, and those pics I showed above were in the normal mode. I watch everything in the REC079 mode, however I haven't calibrated it at all either.