Best screen+pj combo for white ceiling/walls - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-08-2012, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm pretty new to projectors and screens. It began 3 months ago when I got a good deal on a used JVC RS2, so I jumped on that deal without thinking to much about the screen and the room that it was put in. I also bought a new original JVC bulb in it from the AVS store.
Now to describe the room, it is 12x15.4 feet living room in a basement with a low ceiling, the height is 7.2 ft.

The walls and ceiling are white, and since this is my living room, painting it black is not an option. I could paint the walls light grey, with flat painting on the ceiling, but I'm not sure how much of a difference that will make, but I'm pretty sure not enough. The only windows in the room are on the opposite side of the screen.

Right now I have 16:9 108" white matte screen with 1.0 gain, just something I got really cheap from a local shop.
I can control the light in the room pretty well, but it is the reflection from the ceiling/wall that are killing my PQ.
The RS2 is bright enough when I have all the lights turned off, but when I turn on some lights, the image gets totally washed out (I can barely see it). I would like to have the option to have some light in the room without so much effect on the image.

I've grown accustom 100"+ image size and I'm not sure that I will ever be willing to go back to a TV with image size in regards. So I'm willing to spend a lot more than I originally thought I would when I bought the used RS2. So I'm willing to buy a ~$3000 projector and a supernova screen.

So I have been wondering my options in screens/projectors to get better PQ.

There are two screens that I have mostly been thinking about and that are the Supernova 08-85 and 23-23. I would get a 16:9, 100" screen.

If I went with the 23-23 I could still use the RS2. But the downside would be I would have to mount the projector in the straight line from the screen because of the 23° half gain angle. Right now the projector is pretty near the wall and I'm using horizontal lens shift to get the image correct on the screen. Having it installed like this, I can almost walk everywhere in the room without casting a shadow on the screen.

I have seen a review here, or a user thread here about the Supernova 08-85 and it looked fantastic. My RS2 does not have the required light output to power that screen, so I have been thinking about getting Epson 5020 with it.

I'm also open for other projector or screen combo that you might think will do a better job in my room

I use the projector mainly to watch shows/movies and also sometimes play games on my xbox on it, I'm not that sensitive to pj lag, at least I think it is good on my RS2.
I don't care so much about 3D, so I can live without it.

I would appreciate all help and advices
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-01-2013, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm going to keep my JVC RS-2 for the time being and placed an order for a 110" DNP Supernova 23-23 Core I screen. I takes about 10 days to make it and I should get it the 14th of February
post #3 of 3 Old 02-01-2013, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 23
It would be interesting to hear your impressions when it arrives. Keep us posted and try - at least try - to be critical to some degree. smile.gif
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page