AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Screens (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/)
-   -   Budget screen: Elite vs. Favi (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/1444342-budget-screen-elite-vs-favi.html)

socwrkr 12-09-2012 02:42 PM

Hi,
I'm receiving my first projector later this week and need a screen. I'm looking for a 120" electric screen. I have a tv that it will be coming down over and this is why i'm not getting a fixed frame screen. From a budget prospective - would you guys pick the Elite VMAX screen or a Favi screen? I'm also open to other screen ideas in under $500.
Thanks

old corps 12-09-2012 07:15 PM

I can't comment on the Elite but I got a Focupix 120" electric almost two years ago from htdepot.com, 1.3 gain/16:9. From pics and specs I'm convinced that this is the exact same screen as the Favi for about half what I paid. Same remotes, wall control box, etc. Mine has performed flawlessly-- has never had any wrinkles or waves. If it died tomorrow I would buy the Favi! As you probably already know it is currently on Amazon and also on ebay for less for a great price either place. JMHO. Hope this helps.

Ed

KtrainHurricane 12-02-2013 10:22 PM

Bringing up an old thread...been searching around for a comparison on these two but haven't found any. Specifically I am looking at the "ultra-budget" models - the Elite Spectrum and Favi HD

old corps 12-04-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post

I can't comment on the Elite but I got a Focupix 120" electric almost two years ago from htdepot.com, 1.3 gain/16:9. From pics and specs I'm convinced that this is the exact same screen as the Favi for about half what I paid. Same remotes, wall control box, etc. Mine has performed flawlessly-- has never had any wrinkles or waves. If it died tomorrow I would buy the Favi! As you probably already know it is currently on Amazon and also on ebay for less for a great price either place. JMHO. Hope this helps.

Ed

Well another year has gone by and this screen still operates perfectly with no wrinkles or waves.wink.gif

Ed

avjohn 12-06-2013 08:39 AM

My 120" Elite is seven months old now, motorized non-tensioned, and is working fine, use it two or three times a week. It has had slight waves since birth, but I bought it knowing that for the money and non-fixed screen you have to compromise. You only notice them in panning sky/snow shots most of the time anyway. Absolutely no waves usually means more money or a fixed screen.

I'd buy another Elite in a heartbeat, unless I could afford a Black Diamond.

KtrainHurricane 12-06-2013 02:47 PM

I find it a bit surprising that these screens have waves in them. I have an 84" 4:3 motorized non-tensioned screen that is literally a no-name-brand product (Swap Shop type stuff; NO manufacturer markings of any kind, anywhere) and it doesn't have a single wave, wrinkle, or any other sort of imperfection whatsoever...and it was purchased in 2009!