Screen Ideas for Epson 6020? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 12-13-2012, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got an Epson 6020 and don't have a screen. The projector will be 17 feet back and hung from the ceilng. The room is somewhat light controlled but not in total darkness. I don't want to be in the complete dark for gaming and watching sports. I will be using 3d often. What gain's should I be looking at? I'm look looking at Elite Screens ER120WH1 16x9, is this a good screen for my scenario. I'm open to ideas and budget is 600-700ish. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-10-2013, 06:52 PM

wish i could help
i'm in the same position as i have 5020 and have no idea what to get
post #3 of 17 Old 01-11-2013, 12:29 PM

Liked: 14
Hey guys. I also looking at the 5020 and have talked to the guys at Elite Screens. They said since it is so bright that a 1.0 or 1.1 gain should be plenty. I am going with 100" tensioned electric screen and will be sitting about 10ft back in a maybe 95% light controlled room.
Even with some low lighting, the Epson will be plenty bright so I would not worry about getting a high gain screen.
Check out the projector calculator - /www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com- it still has last years 5010 on there but you can start with that and just input numbers for the 5020. It will tell you the brightness you can expect in the different modes. You can change the screen gain, distance, size, and all that to get an idea of how much brightness you will get.
post #4 of 17 Old 01-11-2013, 09:45 PM

Liked: 11
Does anybody have any opinions or thoughts on this 120" Jamestown Matte White 1.2 gain or even their High Contrast Gray Screen?
http://www.jamestownhometheaterscreen.com/120_screenDiagonal.html

I am planning on upgrading my Sanyo PLV-Z700 and Elite F84NWH 1.1 gain screen with an Epson 5020UB and a new fixed frame screen. I am just not sure the right screen to get and was considering that one.
post #5 of 17 Old 01-12-2013, 03:15 PM

Liked: 14
Dan - check the comparison thread - Elite Screens vs Jamestown. Looks like Jamestown has received a lot of positive reviews.
One guy said Jamestown will send you sample material so you can test the difference between the white and gray screens in your specific setup.
The Epson 5020 should not really need any help with contrast...unless your room has significant ambient light and you need the gray screen to help with deeper blacks.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-13-2013, 03:02 AM

bcarithers, thanks for the advice. I'll look up that thread you pointed out. I'll also look into the samples you mentioned as well. Thanks!
post #7 of 17 Old 01-16-2013, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I running a 6020 with a Carada Precision 142" 16:9 Brilliant White, 1.4 gain about 16' back and couldn't be happier! My first full viewed showing was the BCS Nation Championship in 3D and it was amazing, of course watching Bama dominate was great as well!
post #8 of 17 Old 01-17-2013, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input everyone. I have since been doing some research on Vutec VuEasy screen. Does anyone have an opinion on this screen?
post #9 of 17 Old 01-17-2013, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input everyone. I have since been doing some research on Vutec VuEasy screen. Does anyone have an opinion on this screen?
post #10 of 17 Old 01-17-2013, 06:16 PM

good info, I'll look up that thread you pointed out. I'll also look into the samples you mentioned as well. Thank you 1.gif
post #11 of 17 Old 01-17-2013, 09:56 PM

well i just picked up my 5020 and ordered a Grandview 100" screen
I know it may not be the same as the multi thousand dollar but it fit the budget

any thoughts on the Grandview?
post #12 of 17 Old 01-29-2013, 12:49 PM

I got my 6020, a 158 inch 2.35:1 Elite Screens 235Cinema, and a Panamorph Cinevista Lens. Still waiting for the screen and lens to be delivered tho... If it as bright as they claim it to be I will be happy cause my screen is pretty big. WIll post as soon as I get it and set it up.

First Home Theater Setup.
post #13 of 17 Old 02-05-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeTheaterGuru View Post

I got my 6020, a 158 inch 2.35:1 Elite Screens 235Cinema, and a Panamorph Cinevista Lens. Still waiting for the screen and lens to be delivered tho... If it as bright as they claim it to be I will be happy cause my screen is pretty big. WIll post as soon as I get it and set it up.

Please Post pics when you set-it up.. I'm contemplating on the same scenario... How big is your HT room size? I'm hoping to do a 15' w by 17'l possibly.. original plan was 17'w by 25'l
post #14 of 17 Old 02-12-2013, 12:59 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsonsk View Post

well i just picked up my 5020 and ordered a Grandview 100" screen
I know it may not be the same as the multi thousand dollar but it fit the budget

any thoughts on the Grandview?

I've got a 120" Grandview with my 6020 and it looks great. Mounted it about 14' away. I don't have a lot of experience with this stuff but a Grandview is far better than "good enough".
post #15 of 17 Old 02-12-2013, 05:58 PM

My AV guy has me set with a 103 inch Vutec Vu-easy in grey dove to go with my Epson 5020. I should be moved into my new home in a month so I will report how it looks after I spend some time with it. If anyone has an opinion on this particular screen I would love to hear it.
post #16 of 17 Old 02-13-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeTheaterGuru View Post

In high lamp best image mode the 6020 with lens may provide enough light to light up your screen, but I doubt it. I think you will need to use the higher light output modes of the 6020. What throw distance are you going to use? The maximum throw distance for the Cine Vista is 17'. With your size screen, that gives you a throw ratio under 2.0. You are going to get a fair amount of pincushion, around 3/4". With that throw ratio, you are really in curved screen territory.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #17 of 17 Old 04-14-2013, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 128
If it helps anyone, we have our 6020 paired with a Screen Innovations 1.4 gain 110" Black Diamond screen. Our room can go fully blackout, so I wasn't sure whether I wanted some of the trade-offs that come with that level of gain. The throw distance is about 16 feet. I've been up and running for about two months now, testing things out and learning how it all works together. Some of my tweaks have been good, and we watched a couple of very different Blu Rays recently -- Downton Abbey and Enterprise, for example -- and the wife and I both thought "Wow".

Which takes us to yesterday, when Jeff Meier came by for a full-on calibration. That cracking sound you heard last night was the sound of our jaws hitting the ground after we sat down to study what Jeff had accomplished. Oh my freaking word. Game changer. We were impressed with the Epson / SI pairing all along, but I would have assumed the color and clarity we saw last night would have cost twice their price. Or more.

The native THX color on the Epson / SI screen combination was very good from the start. I had made some minor changes that had helped. Jeff acknowledged we were starting in a good place, and then went on to make major changes and improvements in the color, gamma and overall light levels. The combined impact of all of those changes raised the 6020's measured light output by > 20%, while still allowing it to run in Eco mode, keeping the unit very quiet and extending bulb life. The image color now is just exceptional.

Then he got into dialing in convergence and focus. It took the better part of an hour and was worth every second. The before and after on that part alone was way beyond what I thought was possible. I knew while he was working that we were making a quantum leap, but last night I was able to soak in the color, light and convergence work he had done. He has calibrated other displays for me in the past, so my expectations were high. Despite that, I am just blown away.

I won't speak for Jeff, but as most of you knows he sees tons of displays all over the country. I think he sees the 6020 as a best in class performer, and in my particular room, he really liked the Screen Innovations / Epson pairing. I had been forced to do that part here locally without his help, so it was a huge relief that those decisions had been good ones.

Below is a useful screen background report that may help some of you get started on figuring out what would work best in your room, and also getting your arms around some of the trade-offs that can come with amping up gain and using different kinds of screen materials.

http://www.accucalhd.com/documents/accucal_front_projection_screen_report.pdf

Have fun and good luck! biggrin.gif

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page