Draper Diplomat disaster. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-14-2012, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I recently bought a Draper Diplomat electric screen, with their Greylight material. When I opened the box, I noticed that the bottom bar was offset and was jammed hard against the casing. When I finally got the screen on the ceiling, I was able to lower the screen to adjust the bottom bar. As soon as it lowered, one end cap fell off, because the bar was offset so much. What I also noticed, was that one end was quite a bit lower than the other end, no doubt because of the bottom bar causing pressure on the screen... as you can see from this picture. The speaker tops are exactly the same height from the solid floor in the room.

Along with this, there was rippling across the bottom (which has now gone) and edge curl (that hasn't gone). What the screen also has, is a dark band down the left edge, as you can see here.

The result of this dark band, is a darker section of the projected image, with a defined transition between it, and the lighter area of the screen. Once you know it's there, it's almost impossible, to not look for it.

Now this is a 700GBP screen, so isn't exactly in the budget category... or so I believed.

For six weeks now, I have been trying to get this screen replaced, and so far, I've had "we'll give you a new screen", which suddenly disappeared from the table, followed by "we'll give you x pounds to keep it" or "we'll give you a white screen and x pounds, because the material in the factory, shows the same problems.". To me, that translates to "our screens can't match your expectations of being uniformly coloured, level and flat", which I personally think is pretty bad. It also seems to say, if you order another, you'll get the same problems... as will anyone else ordering this screen material.

Has anyone else had similar disasters with Draper, and should this be a manufacturer I avoid? Or have I been the one person in a million, that gets all the bad luck rolled into one? Contrary to the thread title, is this precisely what 700GBP gets me? Did I expect too much for my money? Or should uniform colour, being level and flat, be expected from a screen, regardless of the cost?

It probably doesn't help that I spent 25 years as a professional computer artist, so image irregularities like this stand out a mile to me... but does that mean I have to tolerate what less perceptive people might miss?

Sorry for all the text, but I thought painting the full picture, was better than just the outline.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-20-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 258
I haven't had any experience with Draper screens. That said, I would expect a screen to be uniform - no matter the cost. I haven't had a uniformity problem with my Stewart or Da-Lite screens.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page