Which is better for a rental situation? Fixed screen or Motorized? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-17-2012, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am looking to mount either type of screen onto my drywall. The less screws I have to drill into the drywall, the better.

The screen size I'm looking for is 150" diagonal, at 16:9 ratio.

Motorized is more expensive and looks cooler. A fixed screen is ALWAYS there which looks cool, but can be imposing at times (I assume).

I want to increase the contrast ratio of my Epson 8350, and improve details in very dark and very bright scenes.

My budget is $500 or less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-18-2012, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 109
To start with, you may want to consider a smaller screen. The manufaucture says that projector can light up a really big screen but the fact is, after a few hundred hours the lamp will dim and your picture will look really dim and unusable. A fixed frame is going to be lighter in weight and should never get waves in it. At $500, one is as good as the next, you are at the bottom of the ladder. a 120" diag would be a much more realistic size.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-18-2012, 06:37 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestInTheWorld View Post

I am looking to mount either type of screen onto my drywall. The less screws I have to drill into the drywall, the better.
The screen size I'm looking for is 150" diagonal, at 16:9 ratio.
Motorized is more expensive and looks cooler. A fixed screen is ALWAYS there which looks cool, but can be imposing at times (I assume).
I want to increase the contrast ratio of my Epson 8350, and improve details in very dark and very bright scenes.
My budget is $500 or less.

I would also say that 150" is way to big, since you seem to want to have a very nice picture quality. I think at about 110" you should be able to run in eco mode with out burning out you light bulb to quickly. My brother has the 8350 i've seen it in action, and it doesn't have the contrast or the power to do 150"

A portable screen is allot easier to move, if that's what your planning to do in the next couple of years. Most people don't stay that long in rental properties. If the room is not dedicated i agree a motorized screen can be hidden away when properly planned out.

infocus 4805, mitsubishi hd1000, optoma hd 20 for one month, and now epson 8500ub
post #4 of 7 Old 12-18-2012, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
I think I'm watching movies for the last few weeks at 150" (zoom + throw). Quality looks good, nice colors and sharp. It's in dark movies like horrors and Batman films, where certain scenes could have more detail (like shadows or seeing details like buttons and stitches on dark clothes).

What about a screen at 135, since even 120 doesn't seem very large anymore for me?
post #5 of 7 Old 12-18-2012, 11:41 AM

If you like what your your seeing then just go for the 150" . Again it comes down to personel choice . What looks good to you, looks good.
Down sizing will give you that detail, so it's the call to make one or the other.
Cheers

infocus 4805, mitsubishi hd1000, optoma hd 20 for one month, and now epson 8500ub
post #6 of 7 Old 12-18-2012, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
You have to get what looks good to you and you should also be mindful of what your pj and room can handle. Here's my 150. Sorry for the iPhone pics. y3ypu7ab.jpg
uvemygym.jpg
qupamepa.jpg
post #7 of 7 Old 12-18-2012, 01:18 PM

If it's possible, move up your projector to about 12' with no zoom. Examine that picture at 120" to see if the detail is back in those scenes you were talking about.

Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page