Is there a trick to make a screen edge flat? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-23-2012, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got a new 100" manual pull down screen. The white area of the screen is perfectly flat but the black edges are slightly curled in. Is this just a new screen flaw and i just need to wait for it to break in and relax a bit? If not is there something i can do to get the edges flat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-23-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Buy a much more expensive screen.. Sorry this is normal on low end pull down screens. If your screen ares is flat with no waves you are good to go.

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 Old 12-24-2012, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Buy a much more expensive screen.. Sorry this is normal on low end pull down screens. If your screen ares is flat with no waves you are good to go.

How much qualifies as "much more expensive"? I paid £700 on a Draper electric screen, and didn't get flat edges, and according to Draper, it's the material, and all of the same material they have in the factory, has the same problem. My £100 Sapphire manual screen (that the Draper replaced) had nowhere near as much edge curl.

So what is the price that guarantees you get flat edges, without going for tab-tensioned?
post #4 of 4 Old 12-24-2012, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Sounds like you answered your own question.
So the edge don't effect the image, you probably can't see the curled edges with the lights off and when the projector goes off, the screen retract hiding the edges and screen. Other manufactures may have different fabrics that don't do this as much but even my tiny Dalite HP 2.8 portable has some curl to the edges. And that fabric is very thick and heavy not to mention SMALL! So if it was 110" I would think there would be some curl. If the Draper is a very thin material, I can see how it would curl with the weight of the bar.
Sorry it's not working out for you as you had expected, try and have a Merry Christmas anyway!

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page