In Darkened room is it worth to buy dnp supernova(black diomand dalite hp) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 12-24-2012, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello

I wanna watch movies at night in darkened room. I care about image quality. I heard that these screens are very good and expensive. But also it seems its super at living room. But i dont have a light control problem. but as i said i also care about good vibrant colours. so is it worth to buy these screens for darkened rooms or should i go with carada elite draper etc? Thank you and Kind Regards

*Sorry for my english.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-24-2012, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
No. No matter how good or expensive these screens are, they always introduce some sort of flaw in the image in order to combat the ambient light in the room. The only reason they look like they pop colors is because you're used to seeing a washed out image with normal screens in ambient light, and these screens will preserve the contrast in a room with ambient light.

In a room with no ambient light, a standard textureless white screen will achieve better results, as long as you don't have white walls and ceilings. In that case, a Black Diamond screen, with it's excellent light scatter control, can make a bit of difference, but I am not sure it justifies the massive price difference.
DrZaus likes this.

My Home Theater
Screen: DNP Supernova BLADE (08-85)
Projector: Espon 8350
Receiver: Yamaha RX-671
Speakers: DefTech 8060-ST
post #3 of 14 Old 12-24-2012, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you friend for your reply, I wish to see other ideas of other friends tongue.gif
post #4 of 14 Old 12-25-2012, 01:36 AM

Absolutely. In the mean time, you can see my thoughts on most of the popular ambient light screens out there in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1431840/just-received-and-mounted-my-new-dnp-supernova-blade-08-85-screen-pics-and-impressions-inside

My Home Theater
post #5 of 14 Old 12-27-2012, 05:44 AM

I've got a completely light controlled room (basement) with light colored walls and white acoustical ceiling tiles. I bought a Black Diamond .8 gain screen and saw a massive improvement in black level performance. I still can use my old white screen as it is motorized and drops down just in front of the Black Diamond, but after nine months of ownership I haven't watched a movie on it.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-27-2012, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskroadie View Post

I've got a completely light controlled room (basement) with light colored walls and white acoustical ceiling tiles. I bought a Black Diamond .8 gain screen and saw a massive improvement in black level performance. I still can use my old white screen as it is motorized and drops down just in front of the Black Diamond, but after nine months of ownership I haven't watched a movie on it.

so difference is night and day or not? I mean is it worth to give extra cash for it (its very expensive in turkey 4000 dolar) i was planning to buy elite screen white or carada white criterion
post #7 of 14 Old 12-27-2012, 06:22 AM

From a cost perspective you are better off covering/painting walls and ceiling to achieve better black levels. Having said that, this is something I am not prepared to do. Colors and shadow detail appear excellent to me, and the addition of a Darbee Darblet only makes it better. I've changed my screen four times in the last three years, switched my receiver, and upgraded my projector four times. I would consider a screen like a DNP or a Black Diamond to be a purchase for life, so in that respect it is worth the extra money.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-11-2013, 11:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 402
In a light controlled room, I would go with a white screen, unless I was wanting to do a lot of lights on viewing.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-11-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 153
No ambient light addresses only a part of the problem.

Light from the screen can still reflect off of room surfaces and back to the screen, reducing intrascene/ANSI contrast.

That can be addressed with dark room surfaces or the specialized screen.

Noah
post #10 of 14 Old 02-11-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

Light from the screen can still reflect off of room surfaces and back to the screen, reducing intrascene/ANSI contrast.

While true, ambient light rejection screens also introduce other issues, like.... hotspotting, color shifts, sparkles, small viewing angles, etc.

A white or gray screen for a darken room is your best bet.

My Home Theater
post #11 of 14 Old 02-12-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

Agreed. Ambient light control is not just controlling the light trying to get into the room. Ambient light control is also controlling the light within the room and the biggest light source inside the room is the screen.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #12 of 14 Old 02-12-2013, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Agreed. Ambient light control is not just controlling the light trying to get into the room. Ambient light control is also controlling the light within the room and the biggest light source inside the room is the screen.

Hello brother

What do you think about my idea? http://www.avsforum.com/t/1454872/what-about-covering-walls-with-this-material-for-dedicated-ht#post_22891414

I ll be happy if u comment on it

Kind Regards
post #13 of 14 Old 02-12-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ambient light control is not just controlling the light trying to get into the room. Ambient light control is also controlling the light within the room and the biggest light source inside the room is the screen.

I believe the convention is that ambient light means light sources other than the pj, so wouldn't include re-reflected light.

Noah
post #14 of 14 Old 02-12-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ambient light control is not just controlling the light trying to get into the room. Ambient light control is also controlling the light within the room and the biggest light source inside the room is the screen.

I believe the convention is that ambient light means light sources other than the pj, so wouldn't include re-reflected light.

Noah
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page