Should I hang my screen from the ceiling or build a false wall? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-27-2012, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I am just about ready to pull the trigger on a projector (JVC RS46 unless something changes) and some other goodies (will purchase through AVS) and plan on building my own AT screen using the Seymour AV build plans (size is still being decided but thinking in the 110" area based on seating distance, but not critical to this current issue)

Our media room has some angled ceiling lines due to the roof lines of the house. The angled ceiling is not prohibitive, but it means I will have to either 1) hang the screen from the angled ceiling or 2) build a false wall that is ~12" deep (this is a guesstimate at this point) to hang the screen on. For this discussion, let's assume the screen would be ~12" from the back wall if I hung it from the angled ceiling. Painting the wall behind the screen a darker color would not be a problem. Two crappy phone pics are included below to help, but you get the gist.

I am fine with either method, so I am more interested in hearing what pros and cons there are to these two approaches. The first concern is performance - I am still learning if one method or the other would yield better visual results. Second is aesthetics, which is more personal preference. Would the false wall approach look more clean and "professional"? I have all the tools and know how to make a proper false wall if I go that route. But I don't want to do more work than is necessary if hanging the screen from the ceiling will get the job done.

As far as the room specs go, it is 14' wide by 18' deep, all walls are currently painted in a flat "medium" brown color, the carpet is a dark brown, projector will be ceiling mounted, it is 100% light controlled.

I have been lurking and reading/learning for a while now and this site is great, so thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-27-2012, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14

Hanging, what I assume, will be a fixed frame screen will still need to be somehow secured from the sides or bottom to keep it from swinging/moving.

My vote is false wall. Just build the "H" frame and the panel frames. There is no need to build a true wall.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-28-2012, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the input. After I posted this thread I thought about it more and think a false wall or some type of cabinet structure will serve me better for multiple reasons. I like building things so it will be a fun project.
post #4 of 9 Old 02-27-2013, 03:33 AM

I am having the same problem...what did you end up doing here? I have 9' ceiling, and the screen wall is only 6' and then angles up to the 9' . The problem is that if I mount my screen to this wall the way it is, the screen will only be about 12" from the floor, and the projector will be hanging from a 30" pole...not exactly optimal....
post #5 of 9 Old 02-27-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 484
The false wall is definitely the better approach. If the wall is just out in front of the back wall, you are going to get some light that will come from behind the screen and that will make you want to use black backing. If you go with a false wall, this will not be a problem and you would not have to use the black backing.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #6 of 9 Old 02-27-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 172
After constructing a screen and hanging it from the ceiling with zero issues, I feel constructing a wall is far beyond necessary from a labor, time, and $ perspective.

If you're going to construct a screen anything like mine (which hangs in front of my existing 60" Kuro) and hang it similarly, the first thing you'll notice is that between the sheer mass of the screen and the nature of the hooks that fasten it to the ceiling, you'll have to go out of your way to get it to sway, never mind the fact that people really shouldn't be much closer than 10' from it (in most apps) in the first place.

I can only speak for my application...I'm certain others have (no offense) employed much less successful methodologies/designs.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #7 of 9 Old 02-27-2013, 05:49 PM

Hey there master...I must say that does look quite good. What kind of screen is that? and what did you use to attach it to the cieling? I agree with you that no one will be touching it, so I doubt it would ever move, but will i need to put anything behind it to prevent light from going through it?
post #8 of 9 Old 02-28-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, I think it turned out pretty solid.

See my thread for its construction: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1458413/for-folks-on-the-diy-screen-fence-my-64-free-floating-build

Basically: a 1x3" frame (you may want to go with 1X4"s if it's much larger than my 84" job) with corner and mid braces. Then a sheet of hardy board (you can pick up at any lowes or home depot) affixed to the front-side. Very rigid apparatus when it's all done. Simply sanded and painted the front side for the screen surface and added the 2" velvet border and matte black painted trim.

I have an older home with a VERY thick plaster/drywall ceiling so I went with 4" long eyelets and then cut the eyelet into a hook (you CANNOT find long, narrow HOOKS ANYWHERE, I tried)...the top of the screen frame has heavy duty eyelets anchored into either side. All painted white, obviously.

My images look fantastic and I've yet to see a retail screen that nearly sways me enough to spend the cash. Perhaps a new, dedicated space will change my mind.

Good luck.

James

post #9 of 9 Old 02-28-2013, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Even if a larger/lighter screen was conducive to more sway, a couple of narrow strips of 1 x 2" on a hinge would support it from the back perfectly and be invisible.

James

Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page