Epson 8350 - Which Screen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-01-2013, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all, just picked up an Epson 8350 at Best Buy and I decided I wanted an electric screen, and they don't stock any.

I'd like to spend close to $300, but I'm slightly flexible. It's going in a living room which has some ambient light. All windows do have darkening curtains. If I had to guess (which I do), the room during the day probably has 15-20% light. At night, I can get it completely dark.

I would like to be able to enjoy the experience during the day as well as in the dark. This is a living/dining room environment.

Wall to wall width is 13ft. Ceiling height is 9ft. Minimum viewing distance will be 10ft. Maximum and most used viewing distance will be 15ft.

Projector mounting has not been decided. Options are 1ft above ground at 13ft to screen, beneath coffee table. 4-6ft above ground at 17 feet to screen. Or, about 18ft to screen and 4-6feet high, to the right of the screen requiring some sort of lense shift calibration.

Desired screen size is 92" to 100". I *think* both of these will feel huge in the room, mainly due to the width, and I want to mount to ceiling.

I would love some recommendations on specific models and any reasoning as well :-). I love football, do some gaming (like COD) and want the best experience possible whole watching movies.

I have no idea what gain, color, material, etc. screens will accommodate the best quality and experience possible.

Thanks much!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-02-2013, 06:58 AM

I just went through this myself- my room is similar to yours dimension wise, other than it's a dedicated theater/gym room.

I spent a couple weeks shooting on the wall, experimenting with various image sizes and seating distances. I THOUGHT 120" was what I wanted, but 110" proved to be the best for me, as I watch a lot of 2.35:1 content, and wanted the biggest possible image for my movies. I also do a good bit of PS3 gaming, and did the same thing, trying various games at different sizes/distances.

I am also using an Epson 8350- mine is at the back of the room on a bookcase off to the right. The lens shift is quite flexible, and allowed me plenty of flexibility and "room for error".

While I went with a fixed screen, I can tell you I am more than pleased with my Elite screen purchase. The WOW factor is second to none.

Good luck in your search!
post #3 of 4 Old 01-02-2013, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

I'm thinking about this Elite 106" VMax2:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001A83472/ref=aw_cr_item_title?qid=1357180096&sr=8-99

Then there's this for nearly double, the 100" Elite HOME2:http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0014VM7BO/ref=aw_d_detail?pd=1&qid=1357181637&sr=8-25

Why the large price difference? Are either of these going to be nice? How would you guys expect either to perform in my conditions ?
post #4 of 4 Old 01-02-2013, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Erm...I'm getting impatient. I think I've decided on Elite Screens. The 2 I mentioned earlier, won't ship next day! GRRR. But this one will, if I buy it ASAP: http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-VMAX100UWH2-Electric-Projection/dp/B00061O4JQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

It's 100" - which might actually fit my room a bit better. But, it only has a 10" drop rather than a 24" drop. Is that going to be too little? Ceiling hight is 8ft. Height of my eyes from the floor when sitting is 40".

What to do ?!?
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page