Need help choosing screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-04-2013, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am putting together a home theater in my basement in a 17x12 room. My basement is one large open area with one end dedicated to the theater (no windows on this end). It is adjacent to the bar area that has 2 small windows (2' x 1.5') but they do not allow a ton of light in and no light is shining directly into the theater area, just a little gets reflected off the theater walls and the screen wall is pretty dark. My walls are painted a light khaki brown, ceiling is white with stomped pattern and carpet is a khaki brown color.

I have purchased a Panasonic PT-AR100U as of yesterday with a peerless mount.

My ceiling is 105" and I can mount my projector anywhere I want on the ceiling but there are power outlets and a box to run my HDMI thru at about 15' from the front wall. I plan to buy a sectional couch for the room which will put my viewers between 10 and 15 feet from my screen wall. I have a built in the wall media cabinet on the right side of my wall, so, width wise, I have 125" to install my screen. I'm still undecided (size wise) where I need to be and with that being said, I'd like to buy floor standing front speakers and probably a in-wall center channel but if the screen size I choose won't allow room on the sides of the screen for my speakers, then i'll have to consider AT screen so I can put in wall front speakers behind the screen (Hoping I don't have to do that though as I have this idea in my head that in-wall speakers are not good).

Can you guys help me choose my screen? My projector will be here on Tuesday 1/8/13. I want to spend under $400 as I spent a lot more on the projector than I wanted. I want a fixed screen also. I will be using the theater to watch some normal HDTV, sports for sure and a small amount of movies.

Thanks so much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-06-2013, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #3 of 8 Old 01-06-2013, 04:03 PM

Liked: 12
I am by no means a pro at this stuff. I have been learning from reading posts and asking questions. I believe in your price range <$400 you are probably looking at either an Elite screen or a Jamestown screen. Of the two it appears as though Jamestown makes a better screen and an overall better product, but he works from home and wait times are close to 10 weeks for a new screen. Elite screens can be purchased from amazon and others, I believe AVS is a distributor as well. These screens are cheaper and you may be able to stay in your price range. You may also what to consider a DIY for your price range.

I hope I was some help as it looks like you haven't receive any other suggestions. Good luck
DrZaus likes this.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-08-2013, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone else?
post #5 of 8 Old 01-08-2013, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 32
An innovative screen which intrigues me the most http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=ru&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.opticrevolution.ru
You don't need a very large size for this screen as you can sit closer to it than you could with normal screens due to eliminated pixel grid and enhanced resolution. A 91" screen would be around $2500. 118" is $4000. But you'd need a brighter projector than AR100U for such a large screen.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-12-2013, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

bump
post #7 of 8 Old 01-12-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWI_#73 View Post

I have purchased a Panasonic PT-AR100U as of yesterday with a peerless mount.

My ceiling is 105" and I can mount my projector anywhere I want on the ceiling but there are power outlets and a box to run my HDMI thru at about 15' from the front wall. I plan to buy a sectional couch for the room which will put my viewers between 10 and 15 feet from my screen wall. I have a built in the wall media cabinet on the right side of my wall, so, width wise, I have 125" to install my screen. I'm still undecided (size wise) where I need to be and with that being said, I'd like to buy floor standing front speakers and probably a in-wall center channel but if the screen size I choose won't allow room on the sides of the screen for my speakers...

I want to spend under $400 as I spent a lot more on the projector than I wanted. I want a fixed screen also. I will be using the theater to watch some normal HDTV, sports for sure and a small amount of movies.

I recently helped my niece with her home theater installation (also the AR100U) and she chose the 120" Elite SableFrame fixed frame screen. Nice frame and good screen material. And it's within your budget.

The screen plus frame is going measure about 110" wide which would leave only 15" total for both speakers on either side of the screen. My Klipsch tower speakers are 9" wide so the width of the speakers you buy is going to be an important consideration.

If you drop the screen size down to 110" you gain 8" for speaker placement.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Panasonic-PT-AR100U-projection-calculator-pro.htm

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #8 of 8 Old 01-16-2013, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

anyone else?
Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page