Hi Power vs Stewart screens - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 01-04-2013, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I haven't researched screens in a long time, and since I got my 147in hi power, I haven't looked back. I see now that Stewart Filmscreen has a confusing assortment of screens with various gains. Would I be able to use any of their screens and not lose brightness coming from hi power? And are they really worth the extra $$?

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-04-2013, 05:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just ordered a 136" x 56" HiPower.

I have samples of Hi-Power, Hi-Contrast-Hi-Power, Stewart 30 & 170.
My long time screen was a VuTec Silverstar -> yes many sparklies and somewhat uneven "bumpy" surface
For my next screen, I did not want one with any sparklies on it.
When viewed a few feet from the screen, I was surprised at the amount of sparklies on the 130, and quite a bit more on the 170.
As you know, the Hi-Power is just reflective without any visible sparkly material on the surface.

The DNP 23-23 is a very interesting screen too, but I did not want a screen built on a solid core.
And the DNP are at a much higher price-point too.
FYI the DNP 23-23 material as been revised -> see DNP thread in the AVS Screen forum

- Andy
post #3 of 24 Old 01-05-2013, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

How can a so called industry standard screen like the 130 have sparklies? The only Stewart screen I've ever seen was the Greyhawk, and it did have a sparkly quality, but I equated that with the grey material.

Also been on the phone with Stewart about a potential screen, and the guy went on about the contract ratio a given screen yields. According to their Excel spreadsheet found here, the only screen that comes close is the Firehawk G3, because the recommended contrast is 75, and it yeilds 71... actually their Firehawk SST yeilds 86 with the most lumens, but it claims it's not compatable with my lens(?). So is this screen contrast a lot of nonsense or what?

Snake Plissken

post #4 of 24 Old 01-08-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Also been on the phone with Stewart about a potential screen, and the guy went on about the contract ratio a given screen yields. According to their Excel spreadsheet found here, the only screen that comes close is the Firehawk G3, because the recommended contrast is 75, and it yeilds 71... actually their Firehawk SST yeilds 86 with the most lumens, but it claims it's not compatable with my lens(?). So is this screen contrast a lot of nonsense or what?

Well, I have a Firehawk G3, and I've been thinking about switching to a StudioTek G3. Its amazing how much the room can affect the perceived contrast on the screen. I'm in the process of identifing parts of the room that reflect back on the screen - and eliminating them.
Quote:
When viewed a few feet from the screen, I was surprised at the amount of sparklies on the 130, and quite a bit more on the 170.
As you know, the Hi-Power is just reflective without any visible sparkly material on the surface.

I have a High Power screen ( 2.8 gain ) that I used temporarily. I could occasionally see a random bright " sparkly " on that screen too. What counts is can you see screen sheen or other artifacts from your chosen viewing distance ? Any screen with any gain can show itself to some degree. Which is why purists go with the Stewart StudioTek 100 / Snowmatt screen. Unfortunately, you need a room that is lined / floored entirely with black velvet for that screen to work! cool.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #5 of 24 Old 01-08-2013, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

But you definitely prefer the Stewart to the high power? How much dimmer is the Stewart in comparison? Course the Firehawk is grey, so it's kind of apples and oranges.

Snake Plissken

post #6 of 24 Old 01-08-2013, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Yes, apples and oranges. I was using an Optoma H79 on the High Power - that projector was lucky to muster 350 lumens with the way its bulb dimmed so fast. I'm using a SIM2 Lumis on the the Firehawk G3 - with well over twice the lumens.

I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
post #7 of 24 Old 01-16-2013, 07:04 AM

I have a first generation Firehawk (maybe generation 2 not sure). I heard this screen was not formulated with 1080p in mind exactly. I do feel I can see the screen material at times (bright areas) but not really a sparkly issue more of a sheen. Any experience on how much of an improvement I might see if I went with a G3 Firehawk or StudioTech? I have a light controlled room with dark blues and greys and black behind the screen. Not a 100% black cave but it is black with the lights off. I was thinking StudioTek and I would like to mount it on the horizontal masking frame I have (uses snaps) from Stewart - is that possible with the StudioTek? Because of the frame I suspect it would be easier to stay with a Stewart screen as they should have my frame info and be able to match up a new screen. Any other possibilities? I suspect I could retrofit a Hi Power to this frame with a little work (and a stapel gun?). I would consider it if I can make sure I could get it mounted to my frame.

Any comments would be welcome.

Edit: Plissken99 - you joined 2 months before I did but my post total needs some help.
post #8 of 24 Old 01-16-2013, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I can sometimes see some screen texture on my Firehawk G3 - I think most all screens with gain have some visible texture, when a bright white image is on the screen. Same with the Da-Lte HCCV material.

Get a screen sample sent to you. Rig it up so you can compare it to your existing screen. Watch some movies and compare how the samples look / react compared to your existing screen. I'm playing around with that now !!

post #9 of 24 Old 01-16-2013, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I got some samples from Stewart I'm trying to do that with, can't figure out to get em on the surface without tape, and I'm not putting tape on my hi power lol. So far I've had friends and fam holding them up.

I got Firehawk G3 and Ultramatte 150 and the 130. Firehawk is a definite no no, way too dim, so far the Ultramatte is the winner, brighter than the 130 and I haven't noticed a color difference. Still awaiting the 200 and Reflections Active.

Fingers, no mystery, I was a total noob and spent the 1st 2000 posts bugging experts. smile.gif

Snake Plissken

post #10 of 24 Old 01-16-2013, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I put the samples on a board and propped it on the center channel. Between the two, the 130 is the only option, as the Ultramatte is sparkly as hell. I could detect no sparkle on the 130... Sure was dim though. :-/

Snake Plissken

post #11 of 24 Old 01-17-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sure was dim though. :-/

You just need a brighter projector !cool.gif

post #12 of 24 Old 01-17-2013, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not until they make a brighter projector with equal blacks and overall PQ to the JVC under 5-7k. Such a beast does not yet exist.

If Severston would ever send screen samples I'd love to compare them to Stewarts, their higher gain screen have wider viewing angles than Stewart of Dalite, hopefully they don't sparkle.

Snake Plissken

post #13 of 24 Old 01-17-2013, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not until they make a brighter projector with equal blacks and overall PQ to the JVC under 5-7k. Such a beast does not yet exist.

It does exist, but not in your price range ( more like 6X your price range ).

post #14 of 24 Old 01-17-2013, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What is it, out of curiousity? My eyes are allergic to DLP lol.

Snake Plissken

post #15 of 24 Old 01-17-2013, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

If your eyes are allergic to 3 chip DLP, you need an eye transplant !! biggrin.gif

post #16 of 24 Old 01-17-2013, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well the last one I tried in earnest was the Sharp Z10000, it gave me headaches. Have they improved since that? So what's brighter that beats a JVC?

Snake Plissken

post #17 of 24 Old 01-17-2013, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

The Sharp was a 1 chip DLP.

http://www.sim2usa.com/home/us/content/lumis-3d-solo

post #18 of 24 Old 01-17-2013, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The specs are very impressive, I wasn't aware that anyone aside from JVC had full on off contrast numbers like that! I'll see if I can demo one locally. What do they go for? A Google search yielded not a hint of the price, dunno what secret their trying to keep.

EDIT: Nevermind, 38k lol, I would never pay that much for replaceable tech. JVC still the reigning champ anywhere near its price range.

Snake Plissken

post #19 of 24 Old 01-18-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
EDIT: Nevermind, 38k lol, I would never pay that much for replaceable tech*. JVC still the reigning champ anywhere near its price range.

True, but the JVC's aren't bright enough for my theater.

* - cars and trucks are " replaceable tech " too. Just depends on your priorities !!smile.gif

post #20 of 24 Old 01-18-2013, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One day if I'm making North of 120k a year as a bachelor, a 38k projector MIGHT be feesable. Perhaps in a few years there will be better options in my price range. For now though, it'd be a hell of a lot cheaper to buy two JVCs and overlay the images...

Cars are a means to a living, projectors are just a reason for living. cool.gif

Snake Plissken

post #21 of 24 Old 01-20-2013, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post

The specs are very impressive, I wasn't aware that anyone aside from JVC had full on off contrast numbers like that!

They don't; no DLP comes close to matching JVC's native CR.

Noah
post #22 of 24 Old 01-21-2013, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

That's true - the " native " contrast of the JVC's are higher. But the picture a Lumis Solo 3D or Host actually puts on the screen with dynamic black engaged - IMO, no JVC is even close.

And no JVC is anywhere near bright enough for my screen compared to a Lumis. My Lumis is brighter with about 700 hours on the lamp than a new RS48 in high lamp setting in its brighest watchable mode.............cool.gif

post #23 of 24 Old 01-22-2013, 02:05 PM

There there is this...

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/08/sim2-158k-cinemaquattro-4k-dlp-projector/

20000 lumens would probalby melt my screen.smile.gif

Can you comment on the Firehawk G3 vs. earlier G1 or G2 Firehawks if you have seen any in action? I can't help but think my early firehawk is the single most limiting factor at the moment but nothing to compare with. I don't know if the improvement would be minimal or something more. I have the Sony HW50 if that matters (replaced my JVC RS1). The added lumens of the Sony seem to bring out the screen surface more but I love the extra brightness.
post #24 of 24 Old 01-22-2013, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I have not had any experience with the earlier Firehawks. I believe that the G3 material is supposed to be smoother and finer grained if I'm not mistaken. Why don't you have Stewart send you some screen samples to compare the current Firehawk G3 ( and other materials of your choice ) to your current screen ??

http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/corporate/contact_us/contact_us.html

Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page