Who Has Done a Full Screen Wash on a Hi Power 2.8? / Methodology / Happy with Results? - Page 2 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > Screens > Who Has Done a Full Screen Wash on a Hi Power 2.8? / Methodology / Happy with Results?

Screens

RonF's Avatar RonF
09:24 AM Liked: 28
post #31 of 45
01-14-2013 | Posts: 1,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Anyhow, on the drying.. I guess the area down between the beads gets wetter than the top when you wipe with a real wet rag. If I use a really wet rage doing the circles, it leaves new lines which I assume with enough patients would go away. When rewet and then dried with the rag and having the fan blowing on the screen, the line would go away.

I will try and wipe my 2.8 sample (just cleaned it yesterday) with a real wet rage and see if I can get the lines to show up, them have a look at the line with the microscope..

Interesting again if true, and it's the same thing I was imagining as the only way to explain it. The clear of the surface coat is not a "perfect" seal, maybe less so after even careful touching and gentle wiping over the years if needed. And maybe the liquid as you say gets down into the substrate and takes more time to evaporate. I will check it again today .....maybe it's gotten even better, was looking pretty good yesterday afternoon. tongue.gif
sarangiman's Avatar sarangiman
01:24 PM Liked: 20
post #32 of 45
01-14-2013 | Posts: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post

Not sure why that is considering how fast the alcohol evaporates. Why do you think that would be.....after being apparently completely dry, it keeps getting more uniform a day later??

Apart from it being some residual alcohol stuck in between beads where it may be harder to try, it could be whatever other stuff is mixed in with the denatured alcohol taking longer to dry. Just a guess.
RonF's Avatar RonF
02:45 PM Liked: 28
post #33 of 45
OK. I think I have found the key and it is not that wet wipes are putting much fluid into the substrate. It's that those edges of the "wet" work need to be feathered quickly, even as the wet rag is drying and you're ready to wet it again and move on. Hit all the edges with light swirls before doing that.

And then yes, as said above go back with just minimal wetness on the cloth. The whole problem for me is there was no way to do a much less wet wiping with the particular mico fibre cloths I got at Pep Boys. Soft....yes! But something about the length or in-rows pattern when dry really catches on the relatively smooth surface of the Hi Power. It catches almost on my fingerprint grooves, certainly any minor roughness at all on the fingers. I went to a local linen shop and was able to find only one brand of very soft "loop" weave face cloth. I could tell from rubbing on my hands dry they should be a lot better. But even with them, only on one side did it feel that smooth, though both had loop designs.

So using airscapes process in post 28 I was finally able to do much dryer final passes and kind of "buff" as he said like you would final touches on a car after waxing. I found still the damp but no longer wet rag to work for me, maybe better than with completely dry rag. Just enough dampness to where if you see any trace of a mark you can lightly work it out with the dampness. It is really looking good now and I will wait a day and see if I have to do any more.

WHEW!! Scary pain in the butt process when you are not sure of what is going on. But now that I know it should be piece of cake to keep it looking great.
noah katz's Avatar noah katz
03:29 PM Liked: 183
post #34 of 45
01-14-2013 | Posts: 20,777
I wonder what would happen if you sprayed on a "finish coat" of alcohol on and let it dry w/o touching it.
airscapes's Avatar airscapes
04:24 PM Liked: 130
post #35 of 45
01-14-2013 | Posts: 4,733
big fire ball if a spark would happen along eek.gifwink.gif
mark haflich's Avatar mark haflich
04:29 PM Liked: 586
post #36 of 45
01-14-2013 | Posts: 20,239
Quote:

OK thanks I will be having another go of it tomorrow. Have to pick up another can of the moonshine as well.

Do not use any alcholol that is aged in a charred oak barrel.
RonF's Avatar RonF
06:30 PM Liked: 28
post #37 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

I wonder what would happen if you sprayed on a "finish coat" of alcohol on and let it dry w/o touching it.

I don't think just the chemical with no light rubbing at all would do much and spraying is something you really need to know your way around the gear and the technique. Unlike me ...... eek.gif
09:32 PM Liked: 130
post #38 of 45
01-14-2013 | Posts: 4,733
Got my screen up on temp supports and watched it some tonight. Screen is clean and bright, but way to big.. hung some velvet on the sides of the image but have to find a way to mask the top if I am going to use this.
it really sucks.. to be able to properly use a simple $300 screen upgrade, I would need a new TV with articulating arm, find a place for all the DVDs in a large cabinet on the left side of the room, get rid of said cabinet then get ride of the cabinet with the equipment in it on the right side. Next buy another projector with lens shift, run hdmi over cat 5 back to the where the projector would live, remove a large mirror, add some shelves or cabinet to hold the projector just over our heads and maybe even get rid of the couch if it is in the way of the image..
As Ronsana Rosanadana would say.. "It's always somethin!"
Anyway, looks like it will be masked of at 75" to keep thing simple.. so 10" more than the old screen still not sure if it is worth it.
dougri's Avatar dougri
10:20 PM Liked: 35
post #39 of 45
01-14-2013 | Posts: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Got my screen up on temp supports and watched it some tonight. Screen is clean and bright, but way to big.. hung some velvet on the sides of the image but have to find a way to mask the top if I am going to use this.
it really sucks.. to be able to properly use a simple $300 screen upgrade, I would need a new TV with articulating arm, find a place for all the DVDs in a large cabinet on the left side of the room, get rid of said cabinet then get ride of the cabinet with the equipment in it on the right side. Next buy another projector with lens shift, run hdmi over cat 5 back to the where the projector would live, remove a large mirror, add some shelves or cabinet to hold the projector just over our heads and maybe even get rid of the couch if it is in the way of the image..
As Ronsana Rosanadana would say.. "It's always somethin!"
Anyway, looks like it will be masked of at 75" to keep thing simple.. so 10" more than the old screen still not sure if it is worth it.

wait for the warm weather and you've got a nice outdoor screen smile.gif
06:51 AM Liked: 130
post #40 of 45
01-15-2013 | Posts: 4,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougri View Post

wait for the warm weather and you've got a nice outdoor screen smile.gif

HAHAHAH yeah, I can see that.. you have heard of Mosquito noise in an image..
My Mosquito noise would in "Real ITCH 3D" eek.gif
01:02 PM Liked: 183
post #41 of 45
01-15-2013 | Posts: 20,777
Quote:

I don't think just the chemical with no light rubbing at all would do much and spraying is something you really need to know your way around the gear and the technique. Unlike me ...... eek.gif

Obviously a somewhat, though perhaps not completely flawed analogy, but think of the difference between paint you rubbed on and paint you sprayed on.
RonF's Avatar RonF
03:55 PM Liked: 28
post #42 of 45
01-15-2013 | Posts: 1,680
Oh agreed completely. My only thought was by the time you decide you maybe want to tackle a full screen cleaning it's probably because of some smudges or irregularities. Just was thinking maybe the alcohol only sitting there in that more uniform fashion and then evaporating quickly might not pick up everything. Depending on what the cause if the irregularity was.
02:32 PM Liked: 183
post #43 of 45
01-16-2013 | Posts: 20,777
I meant the spray as a final step to give uniformity after the hands-on cleaning
RonF's Avatar RonF
12:23 AM Liked: 28
post #44 of 45
01-17-2013 | Posts: 1,680
You've got a 2.8 HP don't you Noah? Have you ever had to clean any part of the screen?
04:43 PM Liked: 183
post #45 of 45
01-17-2013 | Posts: 20,777
Yes, HP 2.8

Several times I've lowered it to discover smooshed bugs on the viewing surface.

I use a damp cloth for cleaning.

The first time was scary; the area where I had cleaned was very noticeable at first (it's been awhile, I forget if it was dimmer or brighter), but after fully drying it disappeared.

Reply Screens

Subscribe to this Thread