Floor Rising AT Screen - Motorized (DIY??) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 01-16-2013, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for ideas/info on floor rising projection screens.

It is not possible to fix the screen to the wall and the for WAF, it isn't possible to just put a ceiling mounted one i. However, I just came across the floor rising screens and think that would work, especially since I can easily build it into the floor (crawl space underneath and joists run in a way to make install easy). The screen would be installed in the floor in front of a plasma hung over the fireplace. Behind the screen would also be a L/R channel. Below is a picture of the setup to give you an idea where it would go.

I am having a hard time finding a floor rising 120" AT screen that is motorized as well. Any ideas/links as to how to DIY this or who sells it economically (i.e., under $1k)?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-16-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 111
So you want this thing under the floor, or just one that sits on the floor?
Seems like a slightly smaller screen so as to eliminate the AT need would be required for budget purposes..
Might also want to use the argument that... "If the kids toys can be in the room why not MY screen!" biggrin.gif
post #3 of 17 Old 01-16-2013, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

So you want this thing under the floor, or just one that sits on the floor?
Seems like a slightly smaller screen so as to eliminate the AT need would be required for budget purposes..
Might also want to use the argument that... "If the kids toys can be in the room why not MY screen!" biggrin.gif

Unfortunately, my speakers are toed in quite a bit to provide a nice wide phantom center, so I would be limited with about the width of the fireplace (not much bigger than my existing 65") if I didn't get AT. Ideally I'd like to put it under the floor, but one that sits on the floor might be doable. Has the benefit of not having to open up the floors too, but I think it would be quick slick if it is built into the ground.

I've already tried the kids toys argument, that went no where pretty fast. I used up whatever good will I had when I put two submersives in the room.
post #4 of 17 Old 01-16-2013, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, not sure what you have below, or how you would do it.. but if there were sufficient clearance in the basement...
you would need some type of door to cover the floor, then build a narrow frame with a false wall type setup using AT black fabric and AT screen fabric, then some kind of fancy geared motor lift system.. seems like it would be way over your budget...
post #5 of 17 Old 01-16-2013, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Well, not sure what you have below, or how you would do it.. but if there were sufficient clearance in the basement...
you would need some type of door to cover the floor, then build a narrow frame with a false wall type setup using AT black fabric and AT screen fabric, then some kind of fancy geared motor lift system.. seems like it would be way over your budget...

Yea, I have open space directly below the floors (it is a crawl space) where it would be installed, and I would just turn a portion of the existing wood floors into a trap door. The floor rising setups are apparently not uncommon in the commercial and church environment and I have found some online, but none are AT and they are generally 100" and belowin size (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/619919-REG/Elite_FE100H_FE100H_Kestrel_Motorized_Front.html). They seem to use the same tube motors that you can get for like $150 bucks, so I'm thinking this could be DIY'ed, but I am not finding any threads of anyone actually DIY'ing it.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-16-2013, 12:08 PM

Liked: 16
I want to do something similar but the other way around. I want mine to drop from the ceiling. I have a 80" wide AT fixed screen. Right now I have it hanging from the ceiling on cables but it's warps a little. I have 10 foot high ceilings. I just want to be able to hoist it up to the ceiling. Up there it will be mostly unseen. Why? Well like to look at speakers and it opens room up a bit. Plus I'm thinking frame 'guides' should fix warping problem.

I think this could be done inexpensively with a drill motor and a counterbalance. My idea is some kind of pole guides on each side of screen. Economyte that might not work for your WAF issues. Anyway just brainstorming, perhaps some counterbalancing if done inconspicously will work with WAF and keep costs down.
post #7 of 17 Old 01-16-2013, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

You should contact the manufactures directly, and see if they can make what you want. They build common sizes to sell to retailer but typically will make screens whatever size you want.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-16-2013, 12:54 PM

What about something like this on steel tensioned cables with pulleys? This is inexpensive, it could work manually like a hoisting a flag.

post #9 of 17 Old 01-16-2013, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldKumar View Post

What about something like this on steel tensioned cables with pulleys? This is inexpensive, it could work manually like a hoisting a flag.

That is an interesting idea. Ideally I would like the screen not visible when not in use though.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-16-2013, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, I just checked with a contractor who previously did work in my ceiling and the way the joists are running, I can put a ceiling mounting screen right in between the joists. So that solves that. Just need to find one that works on a sloped ceiling.
post #11 of 17 Old 01-16-2013, 03:35 PM

sounds good, I would like to have motorized roller type AT screen but the prices I checked at Seymour AV were >$1200. Not saying that's not a fair price but just too high for me this year.
post #12 of 17 Old 01-16-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by economyte View Post

That is an interesting idea. Ideally I would like the screen not visible when not in use though.

When the screen is under the floor only the cables would be visible. Maybe visible as in cables is what you meant but just clarifying.
post #13 of 17 Old 01-23-2013, 07:02 PM

Liked: 14
I've been researching this too. I thought of a tv lift system and called a few companies. It's possible but not under 3k from a tv lift company. There is a company called garage gorilla and another called powerx or something (it's in my notes) that sell garage storage type pulleys for 1k or less but they are not remote controllable

I could dig up notes from my calls if helpful but I came away thinking its hard to do under 2k and avoiding sway would be not easy
post #14 of 17 Old 01-24-2013, 04:43 AM

Liked: 53
The TV lift will probably be the least expensive option but will be $3k+, Stewart makes a floor rising screen but even more money. Elite Screens makes a floor riser screen their Kestrel but you would have to call to see if they can do it with an AT material. A ceiling screen won't work, any roller screen needs to be level or the screen will not roll up correctly on the roller. You could call Stewart and see if they can do something custom but for the recessed ceiling mount. I doubt they will be able to do it without the mechanism being level. I'm curious to see what you work out.
post #15 of 17 Old 01-24-2013, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL View Post

The TV lift will probably be the least expensive option but will be $3k+, Stewart makes a floor rising screen but even more money. Elite Screens makes a floor riser screen their Kestrel but you would have to call to see if they can do it with an AT material. A ceiling screen won't work, any roller screen needs to be level or the screen will not roll up correctly on the roller. You could call Stewart and see if they can do something custom but for the recessed ceiling mount. I doubt they will be able to do it without the mechanism being level. I'm curious to see what you work out.

I'll definitely update this thread once I find a solution. I really am hell bent on finding a nice integrated solution.I spent a lot of money renovation our house, and the fireplace that you see looks pretty fantastic in person, so I'm not interested in going the cheapest route that ruins the aesthetic. Seems like everyone I have talked to agrees with you on the ceiling screen not working since it won't be level and won't roll up correctly. I think the floor rising option is going to be the cheapest route oddly enough, and is probably the route I will go. Think it would also be pretty slick and a nice unexpected surprise for guests watching a movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adanny View Post

I've been researching this too. I thought of a tv lift system and called a few companies. It's possible but not under 3k from a tv lift company. There is a company called garage gorilla and another called powerx or something (it's in my notes) that sell garage storage type pulleys for 1k or less but they are not remote controllable

I could dig up notes from my calls if helpful but I came away thinking its hard to do under 2k and avoiding sway would be not easy

Thanks. the floor rising system used by Elite, Dalite and a few others is an interesting system. It seems like it is basically a tubular motor roll down screen that is lifted up by a light duty motorized scissor lift. Ends up allowing you to have a floor rising screen contained in a box that is like 8 to 12" inches in height, which is perfect for hiding in between floor joists. So its not a pulley system.
post #16 of 17 Old 04-10-2013, 05:45 PM

I've been thinking about something similar recently and just found this thread.

I'd watched some of the Dalite etc floor rising screen vids which clued me in on the scissors concept but I was racking my brain about how to motorise it.

It will be mounted inside a long console type unit not unlike the type of thing IKEA make but which I will build myself to suit the decor of a Victorian era home. A flatscreen will be mounted on the back of this unit with the speakers inside the unit along with the PJ screen. The screen will rise out of the unit infront of the TV

Tonight I found a crude youtube animation vid. Bit of a Homer Simpson DOH moment. Aha!! thats how one would couple a reasonable quiet but slow high torque motor to the scissors and yet achieve a fast rising screen. So simple and yet so efffective.
post #17 of 17 Old 11-20-2013, 12:00 PM

Liked: 11
Hi, I am in the same boat. I need to realize something to solve a WAF problem, that after all design decided not to use the ceiling for a screen.
The scissor method is one of the option I evaluated, buy a simple manual spring screen (did not find any tensioned) install it upsidedown in a container where you also put the mechenism, activate it with a tubeactuator (Firgelli?).
Another option is to use an outdoor sun tent, I havent seen in the US, Here are called electric sun tent with arms and boxhttp://www.edilportale.com/prodotti/hella-italia/tenda-da-sole-cassonata-motorizzata-a-bracci/kumo_109393.html
Hope it helps, marco
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page