Screen recommendation for some ambient light - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-18-2013, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I will be using an epson 5020/Sony hw50es in our basement room which is 15x15. Throw will be 13' and seating distance 14'. The room opens to the left to a large space with pool table and kitchen. There is some ambient light from faraway windows and door during daytime and fairly dark at night. Will be watching movies at night and occasional cable/gaming during daytime. Budget is 1000$. Should I go grey or silver or higher power white?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-19-2013, 05:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbandi View Post

I will be using an epson 5020/Sony hw50es in our basement room which is 15x15. Throw will be 13' and seating distance 14'. The room opens to the left to a large space with pool table and kitchen. There is some ambient light from faraway windows and door during daytime and fairly dark at night. Will be watching movies at night and occasional cable/gaming during daytime. Budget is 1000$. Should I go grey or silver or higher power white?

Need to list screen size and budget for others to help make suggestions. A smaller screen, you can go with a gray based screen, helping black levels by sacrificing some brightness. For a larger screen, you can't afford to sacrifice brightness, so you need to use a screen with gain. If the budget is high enough, you can get both, but you do have to watch your throw ratio, so that you do not get hot spotting.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #3 of 9 Old 01-19-2013, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Screen size 110' 16:9, budget 4k
post #4 of 9 Old 01-19-2013, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

I meant 1k for budget
post #5 of 9 Old 01-19-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Ummmm......getting wild and crazy here but fits budget.......how about a Hi Power and mount the projector height appropriately? Great punch for you with the lumens from either of those with ambient light and the ambient light rejection. Any way to shelf mount it on back wall?
post #6 of 9 Old 01-21-2013, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Need more help from the pros. Do I go with Hc grey or high gain or high power?
post #7 of 9 Old 01-21-2013, 05:11 PM

Is your room painted a dark color? What about the ceiling?

I have the hw50es with a elite screen cinewhite. My room is painted a dark color. The screen looks good under ambient light and when the room is dark it looks awesome. I only have two complaints about my setup. During day my blacks lack a little and at night my ceiling is lit up like crazy because it is not a dark color. So I am now saving up for either a firehawk g3 or some other gray type screen. But with that said the setup looks pretty good as is. Most people would be completely fine with it...I just want to get it as best as can. If your like me then I would look into da-lite high constast cinema vision. If you don't plan to run the projector in low lamp and always have the bulb on high then I am pretty sure almost any .8 or .9 grey screen will work for you. I like to run mine in low lamp mode so I am looking for a little bit of gain.

Before I got my Sony I had a 73 inch mits dlp and it wasn't as nice as my setup now.

Btw my Sony is 13 1/2 ft from the screen so my setup is very close to what yours will be. My screen size is 106 and I intend to stick with 106 or maybe 110 max.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-21-2013, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

The room will not be dark, neutral color. Floor will be dark laminate with light couches and rug.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-04-2013, 08:53 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by natas777 View Post

Is your room painted a dark color? What about the ceiling?

I have the hw50es with a elite screen cinewhite. My room is painted a dark color. The screen looks good under ambient light and when the room is dark it looks awesome. I only have two complaints about my setup. During day my blacks lack a little and at night my ceiling is lit up like crazy because it is not a dark color. So I am now saving up for either a firehawk g3 or some other gray type screen. But with that said the setup looks pretty good as is. Most people would be completely fine with it...I just want to get it as best as can. If your like me then I would look into da-lite high constast cinema vision. If you don't plan to run the projector in low lamp and always have the bulb on high then I am pretty sure almost any .8 or .9 grey screen will work for you. I like to run mine in low lamp mode so I am looking for a little bit of gain.

Before I got my Sony I had a 73 inch mits dlp and it wasn't as nice as my setup now.

Btw my Sony is 13 1/2 ft from the screen so my setup is very close to what yours will be. My screen size is 106 and I intend to stick with 106 or maybe 110 max.

Hi I ordered the Sony HS50ES, I want to do a 150" or 160" - 16:9 or 235:1 (screen still debating, I was looking into the Carada BW 1.4 gain ($1.3K price), but someone mentioned in one of the forums, that carada 1.4 brilliant white is only 1.1 gain.. where I'm going with this I want a screen where the size is 150" or bigger to watch 65% 2D and 35% 3D movies (Kid & Wife).. any recommendations.. my other options was Da-lite 2.4 gain cinema contour or the pearlescent 1.5 gain - about ($1.6K price) my walls will be dark grey, black seating black ceiling minimal light from flat white crown molding only, dark carpet room size is 17' by 25' . Can you please help me decide...
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page