unimpressed with Da-Lite samples - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-23-2013, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So I received a full compliment of the Da-Lite samples ( about 19 of them ) and i have to say, the majority look NO DIFFERENT from my white wall, and the few that did really did not make THAT big of a difference. A few popped out the blacks more, but the whites were trashed ( i know this is becuase of the comparison right next to it and my eyes will adjust )

my real question is... if i were to look at the DNP Supernova 08 and 23 materials... will i actually be wowed? becuase as it is there is no way i will spend 1000+ on ANY of the Da-Lite samples... i would just keep my white wall.

anyone else experience this and end up being really wowed by the DNP Supernova screens ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-24-2013, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
tell me the model of dalite u use
post #3 of 12 Old 01-24-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by tothjm View Post

So I received a full compliment of the Da-Lite samples ( about 19 of them ) and i have to say, the majority look NO DIFFERENT from my white wall, and the few that did really did not make THAT big of a difference. A few popped out the blacks more, but the whites were trashed ( i know this is becuase of the comparison right next to it and my eyes will adjust )

my real question is... if i were to look at the DNP Supernova 08 and 23 materials... will i actually be wowed? becuase as it is there is no way i will spend 1000+ on ANY of the Da-Lite samples... i would just keep my white wall.

anyone else experience this and end up being really wowed by the DNP Supernova screens ?

Any screen material that improves the blacks will reduce the whites also. The contrast of the projector is fixed. No screen can expand it. So if the darks get darker the whites also get darker. All you are doing is moving the contrast range, down or up the scale. If you are unhappy with the black levels, then a darker screen will improve that and your contrast spec stays the same, but comparing the whites on the darker screen to the whites on a white screens will always leave you disappointed. There is no way to get darker blacks and whiter whites, using the same projector, unless you improve the room.
Stuntman_Mike likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #4 of 12 Old 01-24-2013, 07:42 AM

Liked: 22
deleted
post #5 of 12 Old 01-24-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Any screen material that improves the blacks will reduce the whites also. The contrast of the projector is fixed. No screen can expand it. So if the darks get darker the whites also get darker. All you are doing is moving the contrast range, down or up the scale. If you are unhappy with the black levels, then a darker screen will improve that and your contrast spec stays the same, but comparing the whites on the darker screen to the whites on a white screens will always leave you disappointed. There is no way to get darker blacks and whiter whites, using the same projector, unless you improve the room.

Right, i fully accept this smile.gif

I am still curious if there is a bit more of a wow factor with the 08-85 DNP material
post #6 of 12 Old 01-24-2013, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemo62 View Post

tell me the model of dalite u use

well i use a white wall right now lol

but i tested about 19 samples... the only two that really stood out was the HD progressive 0.6 and the high contrast cinema vision 1.1

and to me even those were just meh.... perhaps i was expecting too much ?
post #7 of 12 Old 01-24-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 201
You must have an unusually smooth and uniform wall to equal a screen.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #8 of 12 Old 01-24-2013, 04:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

So I received a full compliment of the Da-Lite samples ( about 19 of them ) and i have to say, the majority look NO DIFFERENT from my white wall

Including the HP and HPHC?

I can't imagine how you woyldn't see the obvious brightness difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Any screen material that improves the blacks will reduce the whites also. The contrast of the projector is fixed. No screen can expand it.

That's true, but directional screens can certainly improve *image* contrast by increasing the amount of light reflected from the pj and decreasing the amount of light reflected from other directions.

Noah
post #9 of 12 Old 01-24-2013, 06:26 PM

Liked: 22
Here is the 3010 onto the Blade 08-85 at night with high intensity lights shining from above. You can see the blacks are as black as the back wall and I can still read a book.

If this was a white wall, you would see nothing.

I used to do that in my room and was pretty much unwatchable with the lights on. Artificial light is were this material shines. Natural light is much more difficult but I can still watch non dark or non horror movies without complainling much

post #10 of 12 Old 01-24-2013, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

That's true, but directional screens can certainly improve *image* contrast by increasing the amount of light reflected from the pj and decreasing the amount of light reflected from other directions.

unfortunately those screen materials are not idea since the projector is ceiling mounted, and the viewing cone just isnt wide neough for my application =\

as for the smooth wall comment, lol, i guess so? I can go right up the test materials, and its the same as my wall, brightness and texture, so those were counted out right away

i have a sample of dnp supernova 23-23 coming which will arrive on the 29th i believe. I am curious if i will get any wow factor out fo that....unfortunately, i was not able to get 08-85 test material at this time =\ may have to wait a month for that.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-25-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

And here I was trying to keep this simple. smile.gif Reflected light definitively makes a huge difference and why many people work so hard to reduce it in their dedicated rooms. Once you see a good high contrast projector in a good light controlled room (a room with no windows, does not make a light controlled room) you understand why people want this.

Noah is correct, the specialty screens are designed to reject off angle light and help very much in rooms with ambient light.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #12 of 12 Old 01-25-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

unfortunately those screen materials are not idea since the projector is ceiling mounted, and the viewing cone just isnt wide neough for my application

My pj is 7' from the floor, so could qualify as ceiling mounted, and I get about 1.8 gain from my HP, though it's 22' pj to screen.

Use the screen calculator and enter your setup dimensions and see what you get.

Noah
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page