Screen advice for white room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-25-2013, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi guys,

I just moved to an apartment where I can't paint the walls or ceiling so I'm stuck with white walls. I have a Carada Criterion Brilliant White 100" screen and a Panasonic PTAE4000 projector. There in no ambient light from windows or anything like that but the white walls are wreaking havoc on my black levels. My question is: Do I replace the screen with the high contrast grey or go with the classic white? The other issue is that the screen is mounted about 3" away from the wall so I'm afraid that the classic white will let too much light through behind the screen and I'll get blurring...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Elio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-25-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 107
How about black velvet drapes on the side wall, only needs to be 4ft out. Not much you can do with the ceiling but depending on how important the looks of it are, you could possibly fashion a velvet covered foam core board attached to the top of the screen case or to the ceiling using stick on Velcro. I am in the process of fabricating a similar solution to use a much to large screen in my small room. Will post pics by the end of the weekend in a new thread.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-25-2013, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Let me know when you post your pics. Love to see what you did. The room I'm working with is really goofy with doors on each side of the screen. One is a closet and the other to a small bedroom. I don't think curtains in front of those doors will work cause of the way the room is laid out. The problem isn't really the sides that much it's the light falling back on the screen from the rest of the room. There's almost a haze over the black areas of the image. I never had that problem in my old room. But, then again I had blue velvet walls and a black ceiling. Ugh...
post #4 of 4 Old 01-25-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliocon View Post

Let me know when you post your pics. Love to see what you did. The room I'm working with is really goofy with doors on each side of the screen. One is a closet and the other to a small bedroom. I don't think curtains in front of those doors will work cause of the way the room is laid out. The problem isn't really the sides that much it's the light falling back on the screen from the rest of the room. There's almost a haze over the black areas of the image. I never had that problem in my old room. But, then again I had blue velvet walls and a black ceiling. Ugh...

You have to get creative and make things removable. The ceiling, side walls and floor are the worst offenders as you know.. if you can black out 3-5' of the side walls next to your screen and the ceiling (hardest to deal with) you will see a big improvement. I don't have these same issues, as I am only using about 78" diag of a 110" screen so the top of the image is almost 2' from the ceiling and sides are more than 3 ft. However, looking at the image on a big old screen that isn't filled looks really annoying.

My old screen was a portable that I put up in the hall way outside the living room arch. So it faced white walls. I made removable covers that were held in place by tiny brads and magnets and it worked great. Yes takes 5 minutes to setup and look crappy when set up .. but hey the lights are out!
Here is a link to the walls for the old setup with and without covering.

http://misc.airscapesart.com/velvet/

Here is a link to the thread containing the new setup pictures
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1454587/no-sew-removable-diy-masking-curtains-to-use-a-screen-that-is-to-large/0_100
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page