Panoview Greywolf, hate grey screen, painted with white primer - worked - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-03-2013, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is a roll down screen. I have never liked the grey color, I like my whites to be white. An even more annoying problem is you have to sit right in the center of the screen to get it brightest and reflected right back at you. Off center viewing is noticeably dimmer and looks bad.

So I was thinking of getting some bright white primer, probably spray can, and painting the screen. I think this would work fine if I didn't have to roll it up and down, but I actually think it will work even when rolling up, just as long as the coating is thin and dries really good before rolling up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-03-2013, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So I have an old screen that doesn't work anymore, so I got some Krylon white primer spray paint and did a little test. It appears to go on fine, but it will probably take two coats to cover the grey. I think it will work. I was planning on painting while it is hanging, but I might try rolling it out on the floor. There were drips when I tried the test material hanging on the wall. It is probably going to be a little messy.

In the past six or so years I had this greywolf screen I repeatedly used it hoping I could get used to the flaws. Every single time I took it down after a week or so. So painting is my only option, otherwise it will be collecting dust. And I can't afford to buy another 106" 16X9 screen.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-04-2013, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I believe you mean "Panoview" and not "Panavision". Panavision does not sell screens. They do rent cameras to productions, they just don't sell any real hardware.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-04-2013, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I think this white primer paint is going to work great. My test screen, which is really similar to my greywolf screen, seems great. I creased the screen where I painted and it looks exactly the same. I think the primer is the correct paint to use because it is designed to stick to anything and stay put. I don't foresee any problems just as long as I let it dry fully.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-08-2013, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I decided to get a small quart can of white primer and apply with a foam paintbrush. The first coat I let dry for twenty four hours. It had streaks where it didn't quite cover the grey underneath. I tested the rolling up and it seemed to work just fine. So I applied a second coat using opposing brushmarks. The pretty much covered it uniformly with the primer white. Still rolls up just fine and rolls down. Right now it seems like it is working great. But in the long run, I'm curious how the paint stands up to bending when rolled up and flat when unrolled. Since it is primer that is designed to stick to anything, I bet it works OK even after plenty of use.

Since I really hated the grey screen and the directional reflection, the screen was worthless to me anyway as it was. So I experimented and so far so good.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-11-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing or kayaking )
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 189
How does it look with an image? Sounds like you had nothing to lose anyway !!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page