Max screen width for a narrow room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-15-2013, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to install a fixed frame screen. I got a great deal on a Benq W1070 proejctor. It's in a basement with no windows. The couch is about 17 feet back, so looking to buy as big of a screen that makes sense. The walls will be a deep RED color.

So I've measured 116inches wide (9.7 feet), and 85" tall (7.1 feet). I purchased some Monoprice in-wall speakers that are 10" wide, so i'm left with 96" in width for a screen, unless I mount the fronts above or below the screen, which i heard is not ideal. Or I could buy an accoustic screen perhaps

So my question, how wide I can go without about the light reflecting on the side-walls or something like that. Would 12" on each side be okay? Geek squad was out and said the max I could do was 92", but I decided i'm not having them do any of this work since they only screen they wanted to sell me after a home theater consultation was the Screen Innovations Black Diamond screen for $2500, and from what I read in a light controlled room like my basement, it would be overkill for such a bright projector. I digress smile.gif

Being a newbie, I'm open to all opinions, and thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-20-2013, 04:56 AM

Liked: 11
I just made a 96 in wide by 54 in high (110 diagonal) screen from spandex. There's a thread about spandex on here someplace and it is reportedly acoustically transparent. Wasn't too hard to do either. Anyhow with an AT screen you could put your in-wall speakers behind it. I would guess that in your room 96 in would not be too wide if you can ensure that you don't have reflection off the side walls and ceiling (dark flat paint or velvet)
post #3 of 3 Old 02-20-2013, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I have my screen frame less than 2" from each side wall. Then you have ~3" for the frame itself.

I wouldn't worry too much about the side wall reflections. You can always adjust by putting cloth/carpet material on the walls, using flat paint, etc.

I would not limit yourself in the size of the screen because of reflections. The screen could be a one time purchase. I would get the AT screen and make it as big as possible.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page