DNP vs. challengers - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 104 Old 07-13-2013, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is the general feedback on DRAPER REACT 2.1 ?

Would appreciate any views on its performance compared to DNP (both materials), SI BLACK DIAMOND....and any other challengers.

Personally, I have tried samples but this may not be reflective of the real screen as needs to be tensioned to work its magic.....and without tensioning, it really did raise the concern on viewing angles with notable shifts in brightness when moving around.

Lots of forum talk over the Atlantic on Draper React 2.1 as being better than DNP and as good as BD without sparkles and for significantly less $$$$ ...yet, there seems to be very little reference to this screen in this forum.

.....is the react 2.1 a potential undiscovered Gem in the US...or has it already been reviewed, compared and dismissed........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 104 Old 09-09-2013, 02:29 AM

I have a question to those who find 0.8 not bright enough for 3D. Are your findings based on circumstances with ambient light, or is it also dim for dedicated movie watching in the dark with no ambient lights on?
post #93 of 104 Old 09-10-2013, 02:46 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSHK View Post

What is the general feedback on DRAPER REACT 2.1 ?

Would appreciate any views on its performance compared to DNP (both materials), SI BLACK DIAMOND....and any other challengers.

Personally, I have tried samples but this may not be reflective of the real screen as needs to be tensioned to work its magic.....and without tensioning, it really did raise the concern on viewing angles with notable shifts in brightness when moving around.

Lots of forum talk over the Atlantic on Draper React 2.1 as being better than DNP and as good as BD without sparkles and for significantly less $$$$ ...yet, there seems to be very little reference to this screen in this forum.

.....is the react 2.1 a potential undiscovered Gem in the US...or has it already been reviewed, compared and dismissed........

Here in Sweden the React is quite a popular HC screen.
It does the job very good but no match to a BD or DNP regarding lots of ambient light (Side-Ceiling).

I have a 2.0 and for the price it is a very good screen. Shine is there but it is not extreme, I would say comparable to a FH and BD.

The DNP is a totally dif screen, No shine and a very wide view angle 180deg ish. and it dampers reflection towards the ceiling/floor very good.

On a side not, during a blind test i compared the FW, BD, DNP, REACT and Multipix. we tested blacks, whites, shine, angle and reflection.
From best to worst: DNP 0.8, BD 0.8, React, FH, Multipix.
Figures:)
post #94 of 104 Old 09-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnrecon View Post

On a side not, during a blind test i compared the FW, BD, DNP, REACT and Multipix. we tested blacks, whites, shine, angle and reflection.

How would you rate each in rejection of side vs ceiling light? I'd assume a different screen would be warranted if you are more worried about ambient light from windows than reflected light from a white ceiling... no? If both (light colored room with lots of windows), would a simple retroreflective screen like dalite HP be better than these?

"A wide screen just makes a bad film twice as bad. "
-Samuel Goldwyn

I wonder what he'd think about 3D IMAX?
post #95 of 104 Old 09-12-2013, 09:12 AM

Liked: 12
I Would say that the BD 0.8 handles ambient light as good as the DNP but on all sides instead of only ceiling/floor. at the cost of a smaller viewing angle of course.
post #96 of 104 Old 10-12-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnrecon View Post

Here in Sweden the React is quite a popular HC screen.
It does the job very good but no match to a BD or DNP regarding lots of ambient light (Side-Ceiling).

I have a 2.0 and for the price it is a very good screen. Shine is there but it is not extreme, I would say comparable to a FH and BD.

The DNP is a totally dif screen, No shine and a very wide view angle 180deg ish. and it dampers reflection towards the ceiling/floor very good.

post #97 of 104 Old 10-12-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:

...oops, this time I will type in the reply smile.gif

Good to hear that the React 2.1 is popular in Sweden, and appreciate the feedback on comparing to other screens.

I was originally leaning towards the DNP, however as I would be looking for an electric screen that would have regular use, I was concerned on other feedback regarding ripples over time... Whereas the react screen had tab tensioning and from users reports was very good at maintaining continuously flat.

Any thoughts / experience of such issues with the DNP?
post #98 of 104 Old 10-13-2013, 10:45 PM

Draper USA introduced the ReAct MS1000V at CEDIA 2013:

http://www.draperinc.com/projectionscreens/ReAct.asp

Probably similar to or the same as what is called ReAct II in the UK market and, as mentioned previously in this thread, has been available there for several years.

I would like to replace my BD 0.8 with something that doesn't have the BD's sparkles and hot spotting and isn't as expensive as the DNP. I wonder if this could be it.

Karl S.
post #99 of 104 Old 10-14-2013, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post

Draper USA introduced the ReAct MS1000V at CEDIA 2013:

http://www.draperinc.com/projectionscreens/ReAct.asp

Probably similar to or the same as what is called ReAct II in the UK market and, as mentioned previously in this thread, has been available there for several years.

I would like to replace my BD 0.8 with something that doesn't have the BD's sparkles and hot spotting and isn't as expensive as the DNP. I wonder if this could be it.

Nice find. This is the ReAct 2.1 screen made by Euroscreen for Draper Europe. I thought about importing one from the UK but it was quite expensive. Hope we get a better deal now.

http://www.euroscreens.se/home-3/products-2/grupp/fixed-framed-screens.aspx?pid=60&aid=78&dss=true
post #100 of 104 Old 10-18-2013, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

ah I forgot dougri is local

Doug, do you want to come and get them? I'm just a few miles from NASA/Ames

How did I miss this?!

Do you still have the samples, Noah? I have a 2.8HP 106" 'portable' screen I'm using right now in my living room (with white ceiling, light walls and plenty of windows), and have the newer 2.4 HP and HCHP samples as well (and an Elite power gain fixed frame screen behind some shelves in the garage collecting dust... it does not exhibit any sparkles currently). If you are still 'a while' out on your HT endeavor, I'd be happy to take some photos of the samples. Otherwise, your setup (and existing screen) sound almost identical to mine.

"A wide screen just makes a bad film twice as bad. "
-Samuel Goldwyn

I wonder what he'd think about 3D IMAX?
post #101 of 104 Old 10-18-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Yes, still have them.

I'm really close now; just finished building and hanging 4 additional surround speakers, and building the new center channel today (old one is too tall now).

I'm tentatively scheduled to consult with Curt Hoyt next week to get the Trinnov Optimizer tuned up.

So just hang on a bit longer...

Noah
post #102 of 104 Old 11-04-2013, 06:58 PM

Has anyone tried the new material from Draper. Ms1000v ( which should be same as react 2.1 from Europe )

Would be good to see opinions / views....
post #103 of 104 Old 11-05-2013, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

Has anyone tried the new material from Draper. Ms1000v ( which should be same as react 2.1 from Europe )

Would be good to see opinions / views....
The problem is MS1000V could be different from ReAct2.1...at least on Ranger's test sample. mad.gif
post #104 of 104 Old 11-05-2013, 04:21 PM

Based on specs of the material, I think they appear to be the same...with US finally getting the same material that has been available in Europe for a while now.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page