Screen Advice - 96" for Sony HW50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-19-2013, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I am preparing to pull the trigger on a Sony HW50ES to upgrade my Epson 6500.

Can anybody recommend a screen? My 132" is too big for my new room so I am going to look at picking up a 96" fixed frame and position it on a plywood stand closer to my seats (96" away) to get the immersive size I'm used to. All else being equal, and because this is probably only for a few years, I was considering just grabbing a cheap gray screen (for black levels) such as the Elite EzFrame CineGray ($334), but I do want to make sure I have enough brightness for good 3D. It also occurred to me that my room is very narrow (less than 10ft) and the walls are therefore very close, so it might be in my interest to get a screen with some gain since I understand that reduces side reflections. I'd be willing to spend 2 to 3 times the cost of the Elite if the added benefit is really worth it, but I'm not itching to drop $2k on a screen that small. I think I'd want a black velvet border for contrast since the screen will be "floating", but wouldn't want the border too thick as it would impede my speaker placement.

This will be a 100% light controlled room with color neutral gray eggshell walls and matte black ceiling. Here is a pic of the room and a scale diagram of my plan--note that the bay window will be completely sealed off and the 96" screen will be between the two speakers:

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-19-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Something like High Contrast Da-Mat, 0.8 gain and a viewing angle of 45 degrees. You can get this screen in one of their lower cost frames and you would not have a lot of money tied up in a screen.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #3 of 4 Old 02-19-2013, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Something like High Contrast Da-Mat, 0.8 gain and a viewing angle of 45 degrees. You can get this screen in one of their lower cost frames and you would not have a lot of money tied up in a screen.

Thanks - that does seem a good option... but would .8 be bright enough for 3D? What would be the negatives in upgrading to the 1.1 gain High Contrast Cinema Vision? ...the cost difference seems minimal.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-19-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyniclaus View Post

Thanks - that does seem a good option... but would .8 be bright enough for 3D? What would be the negatives in upgrading to the 1.1 gain High Contrast Cinema Vision? ...the cost difference seems minimal.

With short throw shooting onto a 96" diagonal 0.8 gain screen the 3D will be bright. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page