Screen's 101 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-20-2013, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I need some basic and some specific screen help. I have a dedicated theater room 17' (screen to back wall) and 14'7" wide.
We plan on using this for 80% Blu-rays and 20% HDTV (cable). Therefore, I need to find a site that explains the basics between the 2.35 and 16:9 screens. I am probably incorrect, but I remember reading somewhere that if you have a 2.35 screen and use it for HDTV, you end up with a much smaller image. I was originally thinking of a 16:9 screen of about 100-110" diag.
I don't know what this equates to with a 2.35, and what will fit the space that I have available for the screen.
I have cutouts for speakers already-don't ask (new house, builder's home theater sub-I did not have input at the time), it is what it is.
So, am I correct with my above statement, that the tv image would be smaller than the 2.35 image? I thought that they were both similar heights, but the 2.35 is wider??
I want to get these answers before sub, just throws any old thing up-think plan calls for a high contrast screen-Dragonfly DF-100HC using an Epson 3010 projector. From what I have been reading on these forums, I think I would want a 5020 projector, and should not be using a high contrast screen, but one with 0.9-1.1 gain. I got the idea about the cinema size when I saw the section for Monoprice screens (Grandview) which come with manual borders, so that you can use both formats without losing anything-I know that I am incorrect concerning this; something about losing a lot of pixels too, right?
So, in a nutshell, what do you guys think would work best and where can I go to learn the basics for screen aspect ratios?
Thanks very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-20-2013, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Howdy,

Here are a few links to start with

http://www.avsforum.com/t/554901/2-35-constant-height-faq

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/2798