Is this huge of a screen worth buying? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-22-2013, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi , I currently have a Panny PT AR100u with 2800 lumens. I also have a DaLite 9x12 1.0 gain screen that I bought for about $350 many years ago. I was recently reading about a Stewart screen seen below. But the price is quite high and I'm wondering are these Stewart screens that much better than what I currently have? I bought the DaLite about 8 years ago and am thinking maybe better technology has brought about better screens. Kindly share your input.

Luxus Model ABB Electriscreen

Image size: 91.5" x 162.75" (186.75in diag.)

Aspect Ratio 1.78.1

Material: Firehawk LS- Front projection Seamless

Top Mask-12"...Bottom Mask-2"...Side Mask-7.125"

Case color-White; Batten Color-Black Batten width 179"

Adjustable Drywall setting

Mounting 4 corner Hanging points

Motor: Somfy voltage- V125H60

LVC- Low Voltage Controller for large electriscreen

Estimated price.......$11,385.00
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-25-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Stewart screens are ( in my opinion ) better. However, that is a really big electric screen. Electric screens - especially tensioned ones - are just more expensive !!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #3 of 12 Old 02-25-2013, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. But visually, is there a dramatic difference? I could always get a manual pull down.
post #4 of 12 Old 02-25-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Is there a dramatic difference between a Firehawk screen and a Da-Lite matt white screen? Depending on your room and viewing conditions, yes, there is, in my opinion. I originally started out with a Da-Lite matt white screen like yours. It washed out too much in my room lighting - making the picture less than stellar. The Firehawk helped with room reflections and the picture looks much better.

FYI - you can't buy a manual pull down Firehawk - they don't make one. But for the best screen prices - call Mike or myself.

I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
post #5 of 12 Old 02-25-2013, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

And by the way, that screen is so big, that the $ 11K price tag should be no problem, 'cause your going to want an $ 80K 3 chip DLP light cannon to light it up with. eek.gif

post #6 of 12 Old 02-25-2013, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

I just bought the Panny and certainly can't afford that DLP projector you mention. But I do thank you for your input!
post #7 of 12 Old 02-26-2013, 07:07 AM

Liked: 14
Babka - I think Craig makes a very good point. I am in a similar boat. Here is my summary of what I have found:
a) At a diagonal of ~140" and below, there are several sub-$10k projectors including the Panny that can do the trick.
b) When you start edging towards 150" and above diagonal, the cost of the projector starts jumping exponentially if you dont want contrast or screen ft-lamberts to suffer. You rapidly come to the conclusion that to have the same contrast and brightness at a size of ~140-160" diagonal, that you are used to with a JVC or a Panny at sub 140" (diagonal), you have to get either a mid end DPI or projection design or something in that range - which is starting to touch $20k. If you want to go even larger to 186" diagonal as you mentioned, with o compromise on contrast or brightness at all, you pretty much are talking a Sim2 Lumis or a DPI Titan or projectiondesign aviello. and even a Sim2 Lumis will probably struggle at 186" diagonal although I think some on the forum do have a Sim2 driving a screen roughly that size.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-26-2013, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I think the size of the screen can depend on your room as well. My room is bat cave with dark walls and ceilings. I have a $1000 benq w1070 projecting on to a 150" screen from 15 feet back and I love the image! I wouldn't be a afrraid to go big, just make sure your room and PJ can handle it! Check out POST # 2486: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1435626/benq-w1070-dlp-full-hd-3d-ready-with-lens-shift-for-1000/2460
post #9 of 12 Old 02-26-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

True JoeBoy73. However, your BenQ 1070 is an exceptionally bright projector. The OP's Panny AR100u is not - " Lumen Output (Eco Lamp, Cinema1): 601, vs. Full power (Cinema1): 798 " http://www.projectorreviews.com/panasonic/pt-ar100u/performance.php

So, on a 150" diagonal screen, with a screen of 1.3 gain ( like a Stewart Studiotek 130 G3 ), he would start off with 15.49 foot lamberts with the fan in high ( noisy, loud ) or under 12 foot lamberts in Eco Lamp with a Panny AR100u. With your BenQ 1070, starting at 1166 lumens in Eco mode and best picture mode ( http://www.projectorreviews.com/benq/w1070/performance.php ), you start with over 17 foot lamberts with just a 1.0 gain matt white screen.

Always do your research on your projector brightness / performance ( forget the factory specification numbers ) before deciding on a screen material or size.

Unless you don't care how dim the picture is ..............!

post #10 of 12 Old 02-27-2013, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, unfortunately, I did follow factory specs yet checked projector central as well before deciding. But, I didn't see that review you graciously posted until now. So with a large screen of about 165" or 185", what projectors should I consider instead of the Panny PT AR100u? I want to stay under $4k. The Benq is very reasonably priced that JoeBoy kindly chimed in on. But is this a much better option for me than that Panny?

On another side note, how do you all deal with throw distances? For example, the Panny would need about 21' from the projector to throw a 165" image. The BenQ 1070 needs about 15'. So is there some sort of a rail mount you all use instead of breaking into the ceiling and re-patching every time you change projectors?

Thank you.
post #11 of 12 Old 02-27-2013, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by babka View Post

Yes, unfortunately, I did follow factory specs yet checked projector central as well before deciding. But, I didn't see that review you graciously posted until now. So with a large screen of about 165" or 185", what projectors should I consider instead of the Panny PT AR100u? I want to stay under $4k. The Benq is very reasonably priced that JoeBoy kindly chimed in on. But is this a much better option for me than that Panny?

On another side note, how do you all deal with throw distances? For example, the Panny would need about 21' from the projector to throw a 165" image. The BenQ 1070 needs about 15'. So is there some sort of a rail mount you all use instead of breaking into the ceiling and re-patching every time you change projectors?

Thank you.
LOL...man I wish I had a rail system! Unfortunately....I had to learn the hard way with my previous PJ. I just picked up some outlet panel covers and painted them the same color as my ceiling. Have you used or seen DLP tech? It's a great picture, but there are some side effects that can bother some people.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-27-2013, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

I've heard of DLP of course. But I have not seen any side by side with LCD to determine if these rainbow effects would bother me.

As for the BenQ, I'm now reading about the upcoming BenQ W1400 and 1500. I wonder if these will also be light canons having even greater measured lumens than the BenQ W1070? I'm also wondering if the throw distances will be similar to that of the 1070?
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page