AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Screens (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/)
-   -   Is bigger better? (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/1460358-bigger-better.html)

MrGreeno 02-26-2013 06:05 AM

I've done a lot of reading and I can't seem to find a definitive answer to my question, so I put it to the fine folks here.

The room is 15'x19'.
No ambient light (all user controlled).
The projector is an Epson 8350.

I was planning on going with the 120" Sable frame from Elite, Cinewhite 1.1 gain.
Should I pony up a bit extra and go with 135"?


From what I can understand, if I go bigger, I have to lengthen the throw distance from 16'2" to 18' which would lower my brightness.
Am I missing something or would I be sacrificing quality for size?

kumanzc 02-26-2013 06:31 AM

According the projector pro calculator your throw range for a 135" image is between 13'3" - 28'2" so you could still leave it at 16ft. WIth a 120" screen you would have 15 fL and at the same distance with a 135" screen you would have 14 fL.

airscapes 02-26-2013 07:35 AM

Are your walls, ceiling and floor DARK, if not you do not have a light controlled room and reflected light will wash out your image big time. The closer the screen is to light colored walls ceiling and floor the worse it will be.

Did you look at the info online about seating distance and size rules of thumb?

Did you calculate the approximate light output you will get from each screen size? 16fl or more is the target and it will drop a lot after calibrations and 500 hours of use. http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm

Have you projected the image on the wall and measured it to see what you like?

Have you taken into account speaker placement including center with each screen size?

Have you calculated how close the the floor the screen will be (to low is bad for viewing especially if you have a second row)

No one can tell you what you should do, you have to figure out what you like and what will provide the best image and make whatever compromise you are willing to make with the room conditions and projector ability you have.
Good luck!

JoeBoy73 02-26-2013 07:45 AM

I would check out some of the posters on the 8350 forum with large screens. I'm sure there are several people with 135" and up screens with this PJ. I will say this...my neighbor has this PJ on a 110 fully light controlled room and the picture is washed out! Dark walls and Ceilings make a huge difference, especially if you plan on going big...

domingos38 02-26-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoy73 View Post

I would check out some of the posters on the 8350 forum with large screens. I'm sure there are several people with 135" and up screens with this PJ. I will say this...my neighbor has this PJ on a 110 fully light controlled room and the picture is washed out! Dark walls and Ceilings make a huge difference, especially if you plan on going big...
I had this projector with a 130" screen in a light controlled room with DARK walls ,ceiling and floor and it looked awesome.
so yes white walls and ceiling will make pic look like crap

MrGreeno 02-26-2013 10:37 AM

Thank you everyone..
Looks like I'll need to recalculate and make sure my seating arrangement will still work.

The room will be DARK. Flat black on ceiling/screen wall, dark maroon on the walls and black carpet.

Craig Peer 02-26-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:
The room will be DARK. Flat black on ceiling/screen wall, dark maroon on the walls and black carpet.

You would be surprised how big an improvement this makes picture quality wise.

noah katz 02-26-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGreeno View Post

From what I can understand, if I go bigger, I have to lengthen the throw distance from 16'2" to 18' which would lower my brightness.

If the pj stays in the same place, throw *ratio* decreases and the pj will put out more light.

This mostly compensates for the dimming larger screen area would give with the same lumen output; when I zoom my JVC RS10 for changing between 1.78 nand 2.35 I don't perceive any difference in brightness.

re your original question, I'd say go bigger unless you're going to be closer than 1.25 screen widths.

If you already have the pj, try both sizes on the wall.

MrGreeno 02-27-2013 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

If the pj stays in the same place, throw *ratio* decreases and the pj will put out more light.

This mostly compensates for the dimming larger screen area would give with the same lumen output; when I zoom my JVC RS10 for changing between 1.78 nand 2.35 I don't perceive any difference in brightness.

re your original question, I'd say go bigger unless you're going to be closer than 1.25 screen widths.

If you already have the pj, try both sizes on the wall.

If I'm reading the calculator correctly then light output for 135" @ a throw distance of 15' should be about 16fL which appears to be on target.
Front row seating is planned at 10' with the second row around 15'.. I'll scoot these back a bit and I should be good to go.
Since I'm using towers for front and rear speakers, the only speakers I'd need to move are the sides.

Luckily I'm still in the demolition phase so I can get all this hammered out before I start buying sheet rock, which should be soon!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.