Is bigger better? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-26-2013, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've done a lot of reading and I can't seem to find a definitive answer to my question, so I put it to the fine folks here.

The room is 15'x19'.
No ambient light (all user controlled).
The projector is an Epson 8350.

I was planning on going with the 120" Sable frame from Elite, Cinewhite 1.1 gain.
Should I pony up a bit extra and go with 135"?

From what I can understand, if I go bigger, I have to lengthen the throw distance from 16'2" to 18' which would lower my brightness.
Am I missing something or would I be sacrificing quality for size?

A toast to Bill Brasky!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-26-2013, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
According the projector pro calculator your throw range for a 135" image is between 13'3" - 28'2" so you could still leave it at 16ft. WIth a 120" screen you would have 15 fL and at the same distance with a 135" screen you would have 14 fL.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-26-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Are your walls, ceiling and floor DARK, if not you do not have a light controlled room and reflected light will wash out your image big time. The closer the screen is to light colored walls ceiling and floor the worse it will be.

Did you look at the info online about seating distance and size rules of thumb?

Did you calculate the approximate light output you will get from each screen size? 16fl or more is the target and it will drop a lot after calibrations and 500 hours of use. http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm

Have you projected the image on the wall and measured it to see what you like?

Have you taken into account speaker placement including center with each screen size?

Have you calculated how close the the floor the screen will be (to low is bad for viewing especially if you have a second row)

No one can tell you what you should do, you have to figure out what you like and what will provide the best image and make whatever compromise you are willing to make with the room conditions and projector ability you have.
Good luck!
post #4 of 9 Old 02-26-2013, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I would check out some of the posters on the 8350 forum with large screens. I'm sure there are several people with 135" and up screens with this PJ. I will say this...my neighbor has this PJ on a 110 fully light controlled room and the picture is washed out! Dark walls and Ceilings make a huge difference, especially if you plan on going big...
post #5 of 9 Old 02-26-2013, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoy73 View Post

I would check out some of the posters on the 8350 forum with large screens. I'm sure there are several people with 135" and up screens with this PJ. I will say this...my neighbor has this PJ on a 110 fully light controlled room and the picture is washed out! Dark walls and Ceilings make a huge difference, especially if you plan on going big...
I had this projector with a 130" screen in a light controlled room with DARK walls ,ceiling and floor and it looked awesome.
so yes white walls and ceiling will make pic look like crap
post #6 of 9 Old 02-26-2013, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone..
Looks like I'll need to recalculate and make sure my seating arrangement will still work.

The room will be DARK. Flat black on ceiling/screen wall, dark maroon on the walls and black carpet.

A toast to Bill Brasky!
post #7 of 9 Old 02-26-2013, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
The room will be DARK. Flat black on ceiling/screen wall, dark maroon on the walls and black carpet.

You would be surprised how big an improvement this makes picture quality wise.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #8 of 9 Old 02-26-2013, 03:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGreeno View Post

From what I can understand, if I go bigger, I have to lengthen the throw distance from 16'2" to 18' which would lower my brightness.

If the pj stays in the same place, throw *ratio* decreases and the pj will put out more light.

This mostly compensates for the dimming larger screen area would give with the same lumen output; when I zoom my JVC RS10 for changing between 1.78 nand 2.35 I don't perceive any difference in brightness.

re your original question, I'd say go bigger unless you're going to be closer than 1.25 screen widths.

If you already have the pj, try both sizes on the wall.

Noah
post #9 of 9 Old 02-27-2013, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

If the pj stays in the same place, throw *ratio* decreases and the pj will put out more light.

This mostly compensates for the dimming larger screen area would give with the same lumen output; when I zoom my JVC RS10 for changing between 1.78 nand 2.35 I don't perceive any difference in brightness.

re your original question, I'd say go bigger unless you're going to be closer than 1.25 screen widths.

If you already have the pj, try both sizes on the wall.

If I'm reading the calculator correctly then light output for 135" @ a throw distance of 15' should be about 16fL which appears to be on target.
Front row seating is planned at 10' with the second row around 15'.. I'll scoot these back a bit and I should be good to go.
Since I'm using towers for front and rear speakers, the only speakers I'd need to move are the sides.

Luckily I'm still in the demolition phase so I can get all this hammered out before I start buying sheet rock, which should be soon!

A toast to Bill Brasky!
Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page