Screen Size/Seating Recommendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 03-04-2013, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ClemsonJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I know there's a ton of these (sorry). I am looking for a screen size recommendation.

I am doing a 16:9 dedicated home theater in a room that is 20x12. Ideally I'd like to do two rows of seating (second tiered), but it might not be big enough for that.

I was leaning toward a 110" wide screen, but now I'm second guessing that this would be too big for the space. I will be locating my speakers behind an AT screen (leaning toward Seymour's XD or Enlightor4K material).

I'd like one row back against the back wall, then a row directly in front of them. I'm not sure what the average home theater seat depth would be (I don't care if the rear row reclines.. just the front row).

So with all these variables in the air its hard to judge exactly where the front row viewing distance will be.

Do you think 110" (wide) would be too large for this space?

Thanks!

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
ClemsonJeeper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 03-04-2013, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
airscapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Did you look at the sticky at the top of the forum? Here is the link http://www.avsforum.com/t/1004723/chart-distance-x-screen-size-standards-smpte-and-thx/0_100
airscapes is online now  
post #3 of 8 Old 03-05-2013, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ClemsonJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Yes. However it is one thing to have.a chart as to what is recommended vs personal stories of what people actually have sat in/used.

I feel like if I go with what thx recommends for my room, I will either have to have a small screen or one row far at the back of the room.

I suppose I should just take delivery of the house and build it slowly. I'd like to have it usable soon after I move in, and with screen and furniture lead times, that means I should be ordering now.

Has anyone actually sat 10-12ft from a 110" w screen? Is it too overpowering?

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
ClemsonJeeper is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 03-05-2013, 05:13 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
For myself, I would put the first row at 9' and the second row at 15'. I would go with a 120" diagonal screen. I would use the first row to view scope movies and the second row for 16:9 material. First row would give you a screen height to viewing distance ratio of 2.44. Your second row viewing ratio based on height would be 3.08. Second row based on width would be 1.73. Neither of those ratios are overpowering. The only time I see a problem, would be for a full theater viewing 16:9 content. A 120" 16:9 image from 10' is pretty overpowering. I guess the question comes down to how often you think you will have a full theater. Something to keep in mind, 9'/10' listening distance is not the best location for a 20' deep room. Usually you want to avoid the middle of a room. That is often times a null, as far as the bass goes.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

 

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
post #5 of 8 Old 03-05-2013, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ClemsonJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

For myself, I would put the first row at 9' and the second row at 15'. I would go with a 120" diagonal screen. I would use the first row to view scope movies and the second row for 16:9 material. First row would give you a screen height to viewing distance ratio of 2.44. Your second row viewing ratio based on height would be 3.08. Second row based on width would be 1.73. Neither of those ratios are overpowering. The only time I see a problem, would be for a full theater viewing 16:9 content. A 120" 16:9 image from 10' is pretty overpowering. I guess the question comes down to how often you think you will have a full theater. Something to keep in mind, 9'/10' listening distance is not the best location for a 20' deep room. Usually you want to avoid the middle of a room. That is often times a null, as far as the bass goes.

Exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks!

To answer your questions: probably not that often with a full theater. It is mostly for my enjoyment (and my fiance's). Only time I'd imagine it being full is for hockey nights or Game of Thrones nights ;-).

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
ClemsonJeeper is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 03-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Member
 
FifteenElbows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post

Yes. However it is one thing to have.a chart as to what is recommended vs personal stories of what people actually have sat in/used.

I feel like if I go with what thx recommends for my room, I will either have to have a small screen or one row far at the back of the room.

I suppose I should just take delivery of the house and build it slowly. I'd like to have it usable soon after I move in, and with screen and furniture lead times, that means I should be ordering now.

Has anyone actually sat 10-12ft from a 110" w screen? Is it too overpowering?

I just recently in the past three weeks got my first projector. I have been using it in a 10x10 room and it is nothing short of magnificent.

The projector throws ~110" image at the distance it's at(about 9.5') which is also the distance I sit from the screen. I play video games a lot and also have been watching a lot of movies the past couple of weeks. I can say that it is not overwhelming at all and actually a quite pleasant viewing experience. Even my wife says the same thing.

I am looking to buy a screen now and I think I will go for a 106" because the image that is projected is 53.75"H x 95.5"W and that is just under the screen size for a 110" screen. So I think I'd rather use a touch of manual zoom and get it down to a 106" that fills the whole screen edge to edge. Does anyone else think this would be the best option?

I will say this, if I could keep it at 110" I definitely would. Don't worry about it being too overpowering. 120" at 9'-10' probably would be however.
FifteenElbows is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 03-06-2013, 07:24 AM
Senior Member
 
BigSlade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My first row is 12' from my 120" screen and I have not felt like I'm sitting too close. I think I could easily move my first row a couple feet up if the room layout allowed for it, but as it is my first row is 12' ad second row about 18' on a 9" riser. Watching from the second row is no longer an issue. Hope this helps.
BigSlade is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 03-06-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post

Exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks!

To answer your questions: probably not that often with a full theater. It is mostly for my enjoyment (and my fiance's). Only time I'd imagine it being full is for hockey nights or Game of Thrones nights ;-).

If we can help you, let us know. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

 

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off